Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grading David Quinn as the Rangers Head Coach

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Cannot expect Quinn to forcefeed Anderson and Chytil into the lineup if they don't produce. If Gorton isn't getting talented players and hasn't turned old guys like Zuccarello and Hayes into assets that's not really the coach's job.
    I think Zucc is what he is right now...a low return asset who's just blocking the development of these kids. He's playing totally uninspired hockey, and aside from the gimme goal he popped in the other night, he's been invisible. The sad part about Zucc is that he's going to net us shit, but when he gets dealt to a contender, he's most likely going to find his game again, and probably in a big way.

Zucc is a LOSE/LOSE for us right now in my mind!

Hayes will be our crowned jewel at the deadline I suspect...I just hope we can deal off some old(er) players and ditch a few shitty contracts along the way.

I know...far fetched, but a guy can hope!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Cannot expect Quinn to forcefeed Anderson and Chytil into the lineup if they don't produce. If Gorton isn't getting talented players and hasn't turned old guys like Zuccarello and Hayes into assets that's not really the coach's job.
    Neither is developing on the 4th line with McLeod.
    Took Chytil awhile to get an opportunity to develop offensively. When given a shot, it worked. Now hes off the PP, and benched. Buchnevich still in and out of the line up, and moved up and down, something AV got shit on for.
    The biggest snub might be DeAngelo.

Though, Howden was given a shot, as was Pionk.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    B+. Happy with what I’ve seen and heard so far. I place him well above my first year opinion of Shurmur with the NY Giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Wonder what they mean by "ahead of schedule," because assuming they're sellers at the deadline, this team is going to get worse before it gets better, and it's bad as it is.

This might reference that they're trying to buy via trade or will be players in FA. I think that's more likely, than talking about the current state of the team.
    It seems to me that whenever pundits/commentators/analysts talk about this they're referring to the standings. Earlier in the season it was based on the Rangers being near the top of the Metro and in a playoff spot. Now it's based on the Rangers still being in contention for a playoff spot. Which is stupid really, because even though the Rangers are better (points wise) than what most people expected it has fuck all to do with how the actual rebuild is coming along.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    without Kevin Hayes peaking, this team dead last in the league. so I cant give all props to the coach. Without Hayes in the lineup all your scores are a grade lower, at least. So for me its B-
    But surely the coach gets some credit for not only Hayes, but Kreider, Zibanejad and even Vesey being vastly improved? Staal looking better than in a very long time, Pionk taking strides?
    He obviously gets little to no credit for Lundqvist being so good, but the vast improvement in the play of the above can't all be natural progression. Some of it is down to the system he has implemented, how he deploys his players, motivation etc etc.

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    I was originally going to give him an A- but I wanted to wait to see some comments. Josh made me change my thinking a little. I'm going straight up B. Because of the cast of characters Quinn was given to work with, I think he's done really well. He wants his players to use their god given talent with an effort that they are seriously not used to giving on a daily basis. As I've posted before, that's really incredibly difficult to accomplish, especially with the young vets. He's had success with that, if I had to guess, maybe 25% of the games they played. Too many guys take nights off and it's noticable if you look for it. I think he earned that B in his first season.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    B. He's the right type of coach of this team right now. He's also the type of coach who gets tuned out eventually. I just hope the team has improved enough to withstand some turmoil and a coaching change when that happens. I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of the prospects reaching a new level and responding to his talks and scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    B. He's the right type of coach of this team right now. He's also the type of coach who gets tuned out eventually. I just hope the team has improved enough to withstand some turmoil and a coaching change when that happens. I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of the prospects reaching a new level and responding to his talks and scratches.
    You think so? I mean I think all coaches generally get tuned out after so much time, especially if winning isn't happening, but I don't get the feeling that he is a "Torts-type" coach where the style wears thin quickly.

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Yes, I agree that most coaches get tuned out eventually, and with Torts or Keenan (all those stops other than the Rangers) it happens faster than with most. I sense that with Quinn's legitimate demands for "accountability" and his healthy scratches of virtually every player at some point, he may be more prone to tune out than the average coach, although not as much as Torts or Keenan (who both suffer from personality disorders...). Admittedly, this is all premature. He has to get some decent results before this becomes a factor.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Maybe personality disorder is required to win a Cup, since Torts and Keenan have it...AV...Renney...Neilsen...Nada.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Josh doesn’t like him so I know he must be doing something right.

Comparing this team to what it was last year is silly, and trying to evaluate this roster under his first year is also tricky at best. It’s a dead roster. Everyone knows it. The vets know they are either not going to be here for much longer or they are going to have to just ride out the year and deal with it the best they can. The guys who are younger and needed to show they belong have like Chytil, or haven’t like Andersson, and luckily Hayes has taken a step forward despite the roster just not being very good. There are no magic beans that will somehow make this roster good. No coach is coming here and changing things. I like what Quinn has done in terms of establishing a culture. I don’t really think there’s much more that he can be judged on in terms of on ice play until he has a better roster around him. No idea what that really means for any kind of letter grade, but so far I’m happy with the decision to hire him.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    This team, most nights, seems to be going through the motions. They have no identity. I think alot of it is Quinn figuring out how to handle NHLers and adjusting to the league. I don't think he's really figured out how he wants to play.

The things he's asking the team to do that are getting praise are very fundamental. Go to he net and get pucks to the net.

He'll get a long leash from me just because he's sitting anyone who's not playing to the best of their ability and he's new.

I'd expect 2/3 of the way through next year that the team have more of an identity and style carved out.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This team, most nights, seems to be going through the motions. They have no identity. I think alot of it is Quinn figuring out how to handle NHLers and adjusting to the league. I don't think he's really figured out how he wants to play.

The things he's asking the team to do that are getting praise are very fundamental. Go to he net and get pucks to the net.

He'll get a long leash from me just because he's sitting anyone who's not playing to the best of their ability and he's new.

I'd expect 2/3 of the way through next year that the team have more of an identity and style carved out.
    I also think it's an issue of composition. Quinn needs soldiers willing to fight for him. There's still a ton of holdovers from the bombed out and depleted AV squads. Those guys need to move on before we can really see what he wants to accomplish IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
    Josh doesn’t like him so I know he must be doing something right.

Comparing this team to what it was last year is silly, and trying to evaluate this roster under his first year is also tricky at best. It’s a dead roster. Everyone knows it. The vets know they are either not going to be here for much longer or they are going to have to just ride out the year and deal with it the best they can. The guys who are younger and needed to show they belong have like Chytil, or haven’t like Andersson, and luckily Hayes has taken a step forward despite the roster just not being very good. There are no magic beans that will somehow make this roster good. No coach is coming here and changing things. I like what Quinn has done in terms of establishing a culture. I don’t really think there’s much more that he can be judged on in terms of on ice play until he has a better roster around him. No idea what that really means for any kind of letter grade, but so far I’m happy with the decision to hire him.
    Who says I don’t like Quinn?

I gave his underperforming non-playoff team a B-.

I just think underperforming is an incredibly hard argument to make, but that’s me. This roster is extremely flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
    I just think underperforming is an incredibly hard argument to make, but that’s me. This roster is extremely flawed.
    Pretty much the same roster AV had. Yet doing worse.

I think they underperformed last season, too.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

They are kind of worse honestly. Spooner was good last year for one. And they had McD for half the season. But regardless, if a team “underperforms” multiple years in a row, are they actually underperforming or are they showing what they are?

They are in the playoff picture for most of last season, and most of this season.

That’s the way a parity league works though. Only the absolute worst are bottom feeders from jump. Teams show what they are by the end of the season, not the beginning. Again, they’re consistently not good.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

It’s not the same roster though is it.
    McD, Miller and Grabner were big pieces that would significantly improve this roster.
    I’m not sure how they compare post deadline, but I can’t imagine there’s a huge difference.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast