Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grading David Quinn as the Rangers Head Coach

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
    I just think underperforming is an incredibly hard argument to make, but that’s me. This roster is extremely flawed.
    This roster is bad AND they are underperforming.

Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I like a lot of he stuff Quinn says and does and I fully expected this years team to be awful, which they are.

My concern is energy level and battle level.. I was expecting a season similar to the one after the lockout (except maybe with less wins) where the team
    Sucked but at least it was fun to watch.

Also donít like how Anderson has been handled- in my opinion he should have just stayed in Hartford and brought up
    After the deadline when bodies were moved. But Iím not entirely sure if thatís Quinnís decision or Gortons. Iím all for playing the kids but he was clearly not ready for the NHL.

B-

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    I like a lot of he stuff Quinn says and does and I fully expected this years team to be awful, which they are.

My concern is energy level and battle level.. I was expecting a season similar to the one after the lockout (except maybe with less wins) where the team
    Sucked but at least it was fun to watch.

Also don’t like how Anderson has been handled- in my opinion he should have just stayed in Hartford and brought up
    After the deadline when bodies were moved. But I’m not entirely sure if that’s Quinn’s decision or Gortons. I’m all for playing the kids but he was clearly not ready for the NHL.

B-

I think this is a pretty generous grade, given the criticism lol.

I agree with the bolded, in particular. It hasn't been long enough to say that Quinn's message isn't getting through, but at some point THIS season, the effort & compete need to improve.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Hard for me to give him a lower grade considering that the teams best players are playing well and the youth is playing.

Rookie coach, awful roster, hank being bi polar, defensemen are all mediocre.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    But surely the coach gets some credit for not only Hayes, but Kreider, Zibanejad and even Vesey being vastly improved? Staal looking better than in a very long time, Pionk taking strides?
    He obviously gets little to no credit for Lundqvist being so good, but the vast improvement in the play of the above can't all be natural progression. Some of it is down to the system he has implemented, how he deploys his players, motivation etc etc.
    surely he does, that's why I gave him B- but I don't think it is his accomplishment for Hayes' or Kreider's play. I think their progression is natural. they are in their peak years.
    we see this team without Hayes and they're awful. what grade would u give the coach now?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    surely he does, that's why I gave him B- but I don't think it is his accomplishment for Hayes' or Kreider's play. I think their progression is natural. they are in their peak years.
    we see this team without Hayes and they're awful. what grade would u give the coach now?
    Seems extraordinary that this natural progression coincided with Quinn walking through the door.
    As for Hayes, it surely can’t be a surprise that an already weak roster looks even worse without arguably their best player this season. I can’t see how that reflects negatively on the coach.

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    The last 2 games he played he didn't have Krieder and zero points. He was also a -1 then -2 in those games. Can't say one way or the other in just 2 games but it is something to keep an eye on.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar
    I only see every 4th/5th game, so take it for what it's worth, but I think Quinn has done a great job.

We really shouldn't nitpick every little detail of his coaching or decision-making, but instead judge him on the bottom line and most important indicators. Every coach makes stupid decisions and has stupid biases - that's only a problem if the results falter.

In my opinion, this roster is bottom-5, and that's where most experts and fans placed them before the season. So for me, Quinn has clearly overperformed simply by the fact that they were in the playoff conversation almost at the halfway-mark and still are only 10th-last in the league. Now, the team will naturally falter and get picked apart, but it means a lot to me that Quinn has proved himself as a legit NHL coach that can get a bunch of players to play hockey together and create tight games night after night.

We have also seen great development of core players like Hayes, Zibanejad and good veteran performances from Staal and Lundqvist. Ideally, I would have liked to see stronger development from the youngsters Skjei, deAngelo, Chytil, Andersson and Howden, so that's a clear minus, of course.

To me, it's a B+.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    We have also seen great development of core players like Hayes, Zibanejad and good veteran performances from Staal and Lundqvist. Ideally, I would have liked to see stronger development from the youngsters Skjei, deAngelo, Chytil, Andersson and Howden, so that's a clear minus, of course.

To me, it's a B+.
    In what way have these guys developed? Hayes and Zib are the same players they were after the deadline last year, and Staal and Lunqvist are the same as they've been for basically a decade. This system does help Staal a bit, I guess.

But there has been 0 development from youngsters, and that's the one thing that Quinn absolutely has to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    In what way have these guys developed? Hayes and Zib are the same players they were after the deadline last year, and Staal and Lunqvist are the same as they've been for basically a decade. This system does help Staal a bit, I guess.

But there has been 0 development from youngsters, and that's the one thing that Quinn absolutely has to do.
    Maybe I'm missing your point here, but:

Zib: .82 ppg/on pace for 68 points
    Hayes: .84 ppg/on pace for 69 points
    Kreider: .75 ppg/on pace for 62 points

This is vastly superior to anything they've done before, so I'm not entirely sure how you can argue they're "the same players".

Maybe I'm missing your point here, but:

Zib: .82 ppg/on pace for 68 points
    Hayes: .84 ppg/on pace for 69 points
    Kreider: .75 ppg/on pace for 62 points

This is vastly superior to anything they've done before, so I'm not entirely sure how you can argue they're "the same players".
    Post-deadline

Zib: .89
    Hayes: .79
    Kreider: .79

So like I said, they're the same players.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Post-deadline

Zib: .89
    Hayes: .79
    Kreider: .79

So like I said, they're the same players.
    Sure, if you're not taking into account strength of schedule, the fact that post deadline hockey for a lot of teams is very different than pre-Thanksgiving hockey, etc.

The situations just aren't apples to apples.

Right. That's not the biggest sample size and quite situational, but fair enough.
    I'd imagine it'll be tough to argue they're the same players if they end up having career years.

Right. That's not the biggest sample size and quite situational, but fair enough.
    I'd imagine it'll be tough to argue they're the same players if they end up having career years.
    No it won't lol.

Zib is the same player as last year but healthy, the difference with Hayes is that he's not being used as a checking C, and Kreider has a career-high SH%. That's the differences. None of them are better than they were last year after the deadline, when put in the same roles they are in now.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The entire offensive system is different...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The entire offensive system is different...?
    So?

Also, what is different? They are still the same one and done team they were under AV. Quinn tells them to shoot more, but they....don't.

No it won't lol.

Zib is the same player as last year but healthy, the difference with Hayes is that he's not being used as a checking C, and Kreider has a career-high SH%. That's the differences. None of them are better than they were last year after the deadline, when put in the same roles they are in now.
    None of them are any better than before but they're all having their best years ever. Ok.
    Look, I'm not saying the Rangers have the new Scotty Bowman behind the bench here, but it seems a bit strange to flatly refuse him any sort of credit for 3 guys having career years. And having to lean on "post deadline" stats which is highly situational and a small sample size doesn't help.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    So?

Also, what is different? They are still the same one and done team they were under AV. Quinn tells them to shoot more, but they....don't.
    Canít even begin to understand the point here.

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    I have been impressed with Zibs physical play. From what I remember he very rarely finished his checks. Quinn asked the team to play with more toughness and Zib really stepped up. Even Hayes has thrown some checks this season in comparison to his previous seasons under AV.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

None of them are any better than before but they're all having their best years ever. Ok.
    Look, I'm not saying the Rangers have the new Scotty Bowman behind the bench here, but it seems a bit strange to flatly refuse him any sort of credit for 3 guys having career years. And having to lean on "post deadline" stats which is highly situational and a small sample size doesn't help.
    Development and opportunity are not the same. Using this season is a small sample size too...

Kreider paced 52 points last year and is pacing 62 this year. His shooting % is up 5.8% and he's on pace for 228 shots. That alone represents is a 13-point improvement from last season's pace. Does Quinn get credit for Kreider's increased SH%? Shot totals are increased by less than .5 shots per game.
    Zib isn't better than the end of last season (.89), the beginning of last season before Kreider got hurt (.79), or the beginning of 16-17 before he got hurt (.79).
    The only difference in Hayes is that he's used in an offensive role. The only other time he's been used that way was the end of last season, when his numbers were the same.

We're pointing to stat differences that can be attributed to puck bounces going one way or another and trying to say that a coach is developing players who have already been in the league 5 years? No thanks. Quinn will be measured by Andersson, Chytil, this year's class, etc., not the guys who were here before him.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast