• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Set to Announce Dallas as 2020 Winter Classic Location

Phil

Imo the Winter Classic has run its course. It was great when they started it, really exciting and something to look forward to.

Now I feel it's just a bit meh + the level of hockey is abysmal.

They'll keep going of course because they're still able to fill out stadiums and they're probably making shitloads off it.

Imo the Winter Classic has run its course. It was great when they started it, really exciting and something to look forward to.

Now I feel it's just a bit meh + the level of hockey is abysmal.

They'll keep going of course because they're still able to fill out stadiums and they're probably making shitloads off it.

Yesterdays game was actually one of the best Winter Classic games played, and also the IMO the setting was perfect yesterday being at Notre Dame. I think the NHL knocked this one out of the park either though it was the B'Hawks/Bruins. Besides the 2 Winter Classics the Rangers were in, yesterdays was probably the only one that I tuned in or had on in the background for the entire game.

Dallas in January... it could be 10 degrees or 70 degrees. If there is an ice storm, no plows, everybody walks everywhere. NHL is going to need some luck in the weather department to have decent ice and tourist conditions. Not a great choice.

Dallas in January... it could be 10 degrees or 70 degrees. If there is an ice storm, no plows, everybody walks everywhere. NHL is going to need some luck in the weather department to have decent ice and tourist conditions. Not a great choice.

Article in The Atheltic on how the NHL chose The Cotton Bowl. They're doing it to get into another historic college football stadium, new market, and Dallas was suppose to get an outdoor game at AT+T Stadium but then it was reneged due to Dallas not being good, and decided that an outdoor game should be.......outdoors and not in a dome or retractable roof stadium.

Don't do it at baseball stadiums, the setup is just strange. Keep it for football bowl stadiums and just do one game a year on New Years Day. None of these other games that they do.

Obviously keep the Winter Classic, gotta have the Heritage Classic for the folks in Canada. If they are committed to a Stadium Series then they should do it every other year or something like that and have it at some historic stadium, such as, Navy a couple of years back, Air Force next year, but no need for Pens/Flyers at the Linc this year.

Obviously keep the Winter Classic, gotta have the Heritage Classic for the folks in Canada. If they are committed to a Stadium Series then they should do it every other year or something like that and have it at some historic stadium, such as, Navy a couple of years back, Air Force next year, but no need for Pens/Flyers at the Linc this year.

This should be at beaver stadium in front of 100,000 people. They blew that one.

This should be at beaver stadium in front of 100,000 people. They blew that one.

This.... Beaver Stadium is (about) halfway between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and Penn State has about half Pittsburgh fans and half Philadelphia fans (of students from in-state). I spent four years there, so based on my personal experience from the mid 90s.

This.... Beaver Stadium is (about) halfway between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and Penn State has about half Pittsburgh fans and half Philadelphia fans (of students from in-state). I spent four years there, so based on my personal experience from the mid 90s.

Plus they [Penn State] have a top ten hockey team right now. A little fore thought could have also used the venue for a top 10 matchup with Ohio State.

Yea I'm surprised they haven't been there yet. The only reason I can think of is that Beaver Stadium isn't really in a big city, even though I think they'd draw from all over.

Quick Google - apparently the plumbing at Beaver Stadium wouldn't be able to handle it in the winter.

Archived