• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hayes Leaving Decision Up to the Rangers

Phil

?That?s none of my business,? Hayes told The Athletic Friday morning after practice. ?That?s my agent and Gorts, to be honest. I have no say in it. It?s Gorts? ultimate decision. Whatever he wants to do. I?m not expecting anything, but we?ll see in a couple of days. That?s why I have an agent. I just play hockey.

?Like I said, I?m not expecting anything to happen. Gorts has a plan that he probably has set in stone here. We?ll find out soon or ??

?I have no idea what the Rangers are going to do at this point,? said Hayes? agent Robert Murray. ?That?s their decision more than ours. We?ll see what they do after the first.?

Obviously there will be a dialogue then, but none is scheduled, Murray said.

From a purely financial standpoint, Hayes ? given the way he?s played the last two seasons, and how eye-opening his improvement has been this season ? stands to hit the jackpot if he gets to July 1 unsigned.

But the money is not his end goal, Murray said.

?We haven?t made any decisions on any of that,? Murray said. ?If the Rangers have an interest, we will listen. If they don?t, then we go to July 1.

?We?ll see what happens in the next eight weeks.?

The Rangers and Hayes-Murray were unable to get that long-term deal done last summer, with the Rangers believed to have offered in the five-year range at under $6 million per. But they know it will cost them six years, most likely, and more than $6 million (say, $6.25 million or upward) to get him to sign an extension. He?ll get that on the open market.

If the Rangers don?t want to go that high, then Gorton is virtually obliged to try to trade Hayes. In return, he?d likely demand a first-round pick at minimum, but possibly a young NHL-ready player or top prospect.

https://theathletic.com/738253/2018/12/28/with-negotiations-about-to-begin-kevin-hayes-leaves-contract-or-trade-decision-up-to-the-rangers/?source=weeklyemail

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been on the "Trade Hayes" side mostly because I thought his value was worth more in assets than in what he brought to the team. I'm starting to question that for a couple of reasons. First, he has gone from 3rd line production to high end 2nd line (borderline 1st line) production. He is on pace for 73 points. That increases his value to the team tremendously. Second, I'm not sure another team will be willing to give up assets for what his current production says he is. I think other teams will be trying to get him for his past production as a 3rd line rental, which I would absolutely not trade him if that is the return.

At this point, I think the only way I trade him is if what is coming back is a defenseman in a similar position with similar potential, or a high end defensive prospect. Otherwise, I am resigning him and giving him the money.

What would "an interesting package" for Hayes look like iyo?

Hayes for Matthews and Marner

Toronto will have to retain salary.

Honestly Hayes is worth a mid late 1st round pick IMO, and perhaps a lower tier prospect.

Obviously we?d like to see a proven NHL defender under age of 26 (Trouba)...but those are hand to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I am not trading Hayes for a late 1st round pick and a throw-in prospect.

How value isn?t that great due to impending free agency.

Right now many are 50/50 as to if he should even be signed for the term and money he will command.

So a 1st round pick would be rather nice

What would "an interesting package" for Hayes look like iyo?

A mid first round pick and a good prospect, preferably a scoring winger or high end D man. I hope a middle of the pack type of team decides they need a center who is on fire and want to jump into the playoff race. A team like Carolina, Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, Florida and such can maybe afford to gamble on Hayes staying red hot and launching them into the race.

Or, if one of the top teams wants to put themselves over the top, maybe they'd be willing to move young assets that can step in right now. I don't know what a team like Winnipeg is willing to give up. Do they want to move Trouba? Does that make any sense for them?

Then 3 years into his contract, the same people that didn?t want the 1st rounder now will beg teams to take his contract for a 7th rounder

And the same people trading him for a late 1st rounder will be wondering what we have to show for Hayes when that pick busts. I need more of a sure thing in a deal for Hayes. I hope Gorton agrees.

How value isn?t that great due to impending free agency.

Right now many are 50/50 as to if he should even be signed for the term and money he will command.

So a 1st round pick would be rather nice

That is why I am reconsidering his value to the team on an extension versus what he gets on the trade market as an impending UFA.

Hayes has earned a new contract. I admit I wasn’t on board to resigning him and I still feel like a 7 year deal is likely to hurt on the back end. However the rangers have handed out contracts to far less proven players. While that doesn’t make it right I think at this point it should be viewed as such: What decision is the best for the development of the new core. While most of that core may not be here some is even if still in their infancy. Howden chytil Andersson would all probably benefit from Hayes being around getting the tough assignments not to mention the heat from fans and media. Yes Hayes may block a center spot but that isn’t a problem yet and may never be one. Hayes has developed here right before our eyes and if the rangers are fortunate enough one of those kids I just mentioned will develop to a plate of hayes’ quality. Unless the package is just to good to be true he should be resigned.

Especially if we are to believe panarin or Karlsson are on their way this summer.

Archived