Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hayes Leaving Decision Up to the Rangers

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    What would "an interesting package" for Hayes look like iyo?
    A mid first round pick and a good prospect, preferably a scoring winger or high end D man. I hope a middle of the pack type of team decides they need a center who is on fire and want to jump into the playoff race. A team like Carolina, Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, Florida and such can maybe afford to gamble on Hayes staying red hot and launching them into the race.

Or, if one of the top teams wants to put themselves over the top, maybe they'd be willing to move young assets that can step in right now. I don't know what a team like Winnipeg is willing to give up. Do they want to move Trouba? Does that make any sense for them?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    How value isn’t that great due to impending free agency.
    Right now many are 50/50 as to if he should even be signed for the term and money he will command.
    So a 1st round pick would be rather nice

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I thought that was a selling point for teams with low cap room?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Then 3 years into his contract, the same people that didnít want the 1st rounder now will beg teams to take his contract for a 7th rounder
    And the same people trading him for a late 1st rounder will be wondering what we have to show for Hayes when that pick busts. I need more of a sure thing in a deal for Hayes. I hope Gorton agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    How value isnít that great due to impending free agency.
    Right now many are 50/50 as to if he should even be signed for the term and money he will command.
    So a 1st round pick would be rather nice

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    That is why I am reconsidering his value to the team on an extension versus what he gets on the trade market as an impending UFA.

Hayes has earned a new contract. I admit I wasn’t on board to resigning him and I still feel like a 7 year deal is likely to hurt on the back end. However the rangers have handed out contracts to far less proven players. While that doesn’t make it right I think at this point it should be viewed as such: What decision is the best for the development of the new core. While most of that core may not be here some is even if still in their infancy. Howden chytil Andersson would all probably benefit from Hayes being around getting the tough assignments not to mention the heat from fans and media. Yes Hayes may block a center spot but that isn’t a problem yet and may never be one. Hayes has developed here right before our eyes and if the rangers are fortunate enough one of those kids I just mentioned will develop to a plate of hayes’ quality. Unless the package is just to good to be true he should be resigned.

Especially if we are to believe panarin or Karlsson are on their way this summer.

day-to-day Midget Division
    You can't give a 7 year contract to a player like Hayes who has a questionable work ethic, IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, and he is a wonderful locker room guy, dedicated to treat his body like a temple, and is going to be a warrior for the next 7 years. But Hayes is the kind of player that Yzerman would trade and get a small fortune for.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    You can't give a 7 year contract to a player like Hayes who has a questionable work ethic, IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, and he is a wonderful locker room guy, dedicated to treat his body like a temple, and is going to be a warrior for the next 7 years. But Hayes is the kind of player that Yzerman would trade and get a small fortune for.
    I agree with the concern. But if the rangers are going to trade him for futures then they cannot go and sign the panarin and Karlsson types this summer. Both of them have the same concerns as far as long term deals due to their age. In trading Hayes the team gets worse and creates another hole. Adding the futures only strengthens them in theory down the line. For the next couple of years it makes them worse and puts them in weaker spot to contend making deals for older ufas pointless

For the record I’m fine with either path. I’m just not ok with with being half in or out either way. If the plan is to sign those ufas then sign Hayes. If it’s to trade Hayes then stay out of the long term ufa deals to guys on the wrong side of 30.

Moderator Junior Division
    If you trade Hayes, you're committing to not being a contending team until 2021 at the earliest, because Howden, Lias, and Chytil are nowhere close to being top 6 centers. So there's no sense in keeping any forward not on an ELC, and no way you're going to be a spender in the offseason.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    If you trade Hayes, you're committing to not being a contending team until 2021 at the earliest, because Howden, Lias, and Chytil are nowhere close to being top 6 centers. So there's no sense in keeping any forward not on an ELC, and no way you're going to be a spender in the offseason.
    I agree with this, but I also think the state of the defense means we're not a contender until 2021 anyway.

That said, more and more every day Hayes makes a case to keep him. He's done nothing but get better. There's nothing wrong with having a 30 year old second line center on a contending team. There is a huge difference between having a 30 year old on your team, and signing a 30 year old to an 8 year deal, and sometimes I think we lose sight of that nuance.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Right, that's the feeling I get, that some people view this as an ELC rotation anyone not on one should be gone.

It's always a gamble, and with Hayes much more so than Kreider, but if you don't keep your PAG 26 YO Center, uhh.. What are we doing here?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    IMO Hayes can be the heart/soul, bring the intangibles, captain material in a 2-3-4 years when the we all expect the Rangers to be contending, and the younger kids are on the cusp of being the core of the team. If the Rangers are going to contend in 2021 they're going to need players like Hayes for leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    IMO Hayes can be the heart/soul, bring the intangibles, captain material in a 2-3-4 years when the we all expect the Rangers to be contending, and the younger kids are on the cusp of being the core of the team. If the Rangers are going to contend in 2021 they're going to need players like Hayes for leadership.
    Yeah, count me in on that.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Right, that's the feeling I get, that some people view this as an ELC rotation anyone not on one should be gone.

It's always a gamble, and with Hayes much more so than Kreider, but if you don't keep your PAG 26 YO Center, uhh.. What are we doing here?
    See Krieder scares my much more than Hayes because Hayes is potentially a 70ish point guy we're gonna pay $7 million for.

Krieder is a known commodity at around 50ish points and we're gonna pay him $7 million.

True, but I know I'm getting those points, goals specifically, and his game is now more net front than transition which should help as he gets older.

Plus, he's a beast and gives that forward Corp a certain amount of cachŤ in the league.

If Hayes was 15/20 next year I can't say I would act shocked.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    See Krieder scares my much more than Hayes because Hayes is potentially a 70ish point guy we're gonna pay $7 million for.

Krieder is a known commodity at around 50ish points and we're gonna pay him $7 million.
    Well if he goes 40/60 this year (pacing 44/64) and then comes close to that next year, you're paying a ~40-goal, ~60-point player. $7m for that is probably a team-friendly deal.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    True, but I know I'm getting those points, goals specifically, and his game is now more net front than transition which should help as he gets older.

Plus, he's a beast and gives that forward Corp a certain amount of cachŤ in the league.

If Hayes was 15/20 next year I can't say I would act shocked.
    Do you mean 15 or 20 goals? Or 35 total points?

35 total

HNIC BSBH Legend
    See I think it's far more likely that Kreider turns to Jason Chimera than Hayes turns into Paul Gaustad.

day-to-day Midget Division
    if you can look into your crystal ball and tell me hayes has turned a corner and is going to be a productive player and continue to work, then sign me up. the organization sees him day in and day out and can make that judgement. i would feel much better about a four or five year contract, but get that the market helps determine the price and length
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast