Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Should Not Trade Kevin Hayes

Senior Member Midget Division

Rangers Should Not Trade Kevin Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Rangers are going nowhere with this defensive corps. By the time its fixed Hayes will be on the backend of whatever contract he gets. Trade him and acquire the assets. Keep accelerating the rebuild by trading him. Don't get cold feet over Kevin Hayes after ripping the team apart last season.
    It’s a hard swallow, this^, but is correct IMO. Hayes has become an ‘eye test’ player this season. He looks fantastic. Why? Is it because he’s really all that great? Is it because he’s playing for a big payday? Is it because what’s around him doesn’t pass the same eye test?

I’m not exactly sure which is the better answer but I agree that we shouldn’t be lulled into a RE-sign because of a quarter to half-season if games THIS year. How many of us would have been clamoring to re-sign him last year when he displayed that ‘ooofish’ look while appearing slow and disinterested?

I’m gonna’ close my eyes and pray that the trade for Hayes is a better business proposition and will yield a greater long-term return than keeping him. Push that eject button, Gorton.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Depends what you get I suppose.
    The numbers being talked about wouldn't be overpaying for this years version of Hayes. It probably would for the previous model.
    That's the problem, are you paying for an anomaly? Personally, I would trade him for a late 1st rounder.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    That's the problem, are you paying for an anomaly? Personally, I would trade him for a late 1st rounder.
    +1 a good prospect. For the reasons laid out by Josh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    It’s a hard swallow, this^, but is correct IMO. Hayes has become an ‘eye test’ player this season. He looks fantastic. Why? Is it because he’s really all that great? Is it because he’s playing for a big payday? Is it because what’s around him doesn’t pass the same eye test?

I’m not exactly sure which is the better answer but I agree that we shouldn’t be lulled into a RE-sign because of a quarter to half-season if games THIS year. How many of us would have been clamoring to re-sign him last year when he displayed that ‘ooofish’ look while appearing slow and disinterested?

I’m gonna’ close my eyes and pray that the trade for Hayes is a better business proposition and will yield a greater long-term return than keeping him. Push that eject button, Gorton.
    I'll add here that I dont think that what we are seeing from Hayes is a fluke. I have a suspicion that what you see this year is what you can expect the next few years. He has the size and strength to be a good puck possession player with little effort. Just don't know what good that does for the Rangers with a blueline in shambles and like 20-22 million invested into Staal, Smith, Shatty, Skjei. Its not good.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Some people just want the team to suck for a decade, what can ya do?

Senior Member Midget Division
    tough call for sure. +1 and a top prospect seems appealing but believe you have to see what they are willing to do in the offseason i.e, panarin and a blueliner and/or just jumping in the deep end of the pool.
    Acqua in bocca

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Some people just want the team to suck for a decade, what can ya do?
    I’m not sold on Zib-Hayes 1-2.

The 2 years we’ve had that combo, well...

I’d much rather be wronged when they re-sign Hayes than resigning Zucc or overpaying Vesey and Fast
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Sell high. His value to this team will never be higher than it is right now / this year's deadline.
    GORTON 2020

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

I’d much rather be wronged when they re-sign Hayes than resigning Zucc or overpaying Vesey and Fast
    what about Zib-Hayes 1-3 and Hughes at 2C? if they keep Hayes at 6M or under?

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    No chance he's getting under 6 next year when he's already making 5.17 and potentially putting up a career year.
    GORTON 2020

Banned Junior Division
    cap is going up every year. so in 3 years 7mill against the cap is like 6 mill now. not saying that Hayes will get 7M

Yeah... if Hughes comes as expected. If he’s RNH, then we are in the same spot with a 3rd line C making $7m.

Additionally, have to remener that Hayes, traditionally, has been less effective with less icetime and inferior linemates.
    I’ll play around with capfriendly on this one. But I don’t see Hughes to NY as likely.

cap is going up every year. so in 3 years 7mill against the cap is like 6 mill now. not saying that Hayes will get 7M
    Money isn't the issue to me. To me, the issue is simply this:

- The Rangers are not contenders and not close to being contenders as they're arguably the worst team in the league this year.

- Kevin Hayes is in his prime RIGHT NOW. He'll be 27 at the end of the year which gives him roughly two or three more seasons of prime production.

- The Rangers will not suddenly go from league worst to cup contenders overnight. Not this year. Not next year. They probably won't even make the playoffs for another couple of seasons.

If all of these are true, then why would you want to keep Hayes? His value is as a trade piece, not as a #2 center on a bottom feeding team.

The other thing to think about is that if you trade Hayes and Zucc and whoever else, this team has a MUCH better chance of bombing down the standings and giving themselves a shot at a true franchise player. To me this is almost more important than anything. Jack Hughes, by all accounts, is a future star. And if we're going to suck, this year is a good year to suck the most.
    GORTON 2020

If Hayes puts up 60 points he is getting close to Nylander money.

HNIC BSBH Legend

It's amazing that you blame the failures of the team on 2 players who weren't the problem...
    If Hayes puts up 60 points he is getting close to Nylander money.
    Nah. 5+ years older.

Blaming? sure bud. Try actually reading and stop interjecting your negative thoughts to trigger yourself.

Team lacks top end talent. A team can only have so many complimentary players. We have way too many. 1 is coming up on free agency and may fetch a hefty haul (and I don’t even care about draft picks).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nah. 5+ years older.
    Sure, but he will be a UFA with a lot more suitors and leverage than Nylander. 27 isn't that old from the perspective of a contending team. A 6 year deal takes him to 33...big deal.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Blaming? sure bud. Try actually reading and stop interjecting your negative thoughts to trigger yourself.

Team lacks top end talent. A team can only have so many complimentary players. We have way too many. 1 is coming up on free agency and may fetch a hefty haul (and I don’t even care about draft picks).
    We have 2 centers pacing 70ish points. Wake the fuck up.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Sure, but he will be a UFA with a lot more suitors and leverage than Nylander. 27 isn't that old from the perspective of a contending team. A 6 year deal takes him to 33...big deal.
    27 isn't old for us.

If we can contend in 3 years, he's 30. We can't have a 30 year old on the team?

He won't have wear and year and doesn't depend on speed.

Not sure what issue is.

Nylander cap hit should be the ceiling (6.9)

Nylander is making 7.5 per season, average. Hayes shouldn’t get that.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast