Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Should Not Trade Kevin Hayes

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    since Oct 30
    They are 21st in GF
    They are 13th in GA
    17th in GA, but that's irrelevant. They scored 65 and allowed 68. I would think the guy that is constantly irate over blown leads would want to keep the guys getting the lead (Hayes and Zib), and replace the guys blowing it (the D-corps)...

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    17th in GA, but that's irrelevant. They scored 65 and allowed 68. I would think the guy that is constantly irate over blown leads would want to keep the guys getting the lead (Hayes and Zib), and replace the guys blowing it (the D-corps)...
    Are you looking at the list upside-down?

They need top level talent to take over the game when necessary.
    But if you think its defense, save the Hayes money for Karlsson.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

I'm not 'people' or 'someone the other day'

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Pretty well stocked? People are bitching about Andersson already -- our #7 overall pick. The other day someone said Howden had plateaued and would never be more than a 3rd liner. So which is it? Are we well stocked with 3rd liners?

"Talent" is the key word. We need a lottery pick this season -- and preferably a top 2 pick. 3-4 first rounders, including a top pick and NOW we're talking about being stocked.

What if Panarin doesn't want to come to a non-playoff team? What's the plan then?

A rebuild doesn't happen in a year and now one player is playing above his head and we're ready to call it off -- I don't understand. This team SUCKS. Have we forgotten that? They're a long way away from making any kind of noise in the playoffs.
    But....

But if the team is arguably (and statistically) one of the worst in the league, what's the point? The idea is to build a young core which will all grow together. We could get a massive return for Hayes and add to that list of Chytil, Andersson, Kratsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Howden, Buch. By the time the kids are ready, Hayes will be on edge of his prime if not already on the decline. Gotta strike while the iron is hot and get a haul for him. He may never repeat this kind of performance.
    ...plus Hajek, Rykov, Shestyorkin. 3 top 60 picks this year (if Tampa wins the cup those 3 picks are probably top 40). Likely another for Zucc.

Are you looking at the list upside-down?

They need top level talent to take over the game when necessary.
    But if you think its defense, save the Hayes money for Karlsson.
    yes, I was! ...but the main point still stands... They scored 65 and allowed 68. The O gets the lead and the D can't hold it.

Karlsson will cost a lot more $$$ than Hayes.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot and get a haul for him. He may never repeat this kind of performance.
    That's the problem isn't it. His performance this season is driving the price of re-signing him up, whilst it isn't really helping the Rangers getting "a haul" for him as he's a rental. The haul is going to be limited to a 1st and a prospect or two. His performances might secure you a slightly better prospect but that's about it.

So that's the headscratcher for Gorton and co. Do you re-sign the guy at a high cost, worrying he may never repeat this kind of performance, or do you trade him for an ok but most likely not great haul? It isn't a straight forward decision at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    That's the problem isn't it. His performance this season is driving the price of re-signing him up, whilst it isn't really helping the Rangers getting "a haul" for him as he's a rental. The haul is going to be limited to a 1st and a prospect or two. His performances might secure you a slightly better prospect but that's about it.

So that's the headscratcher for Gorton and co. Do you re-sign the guy at a high cost, worrying he may never repeat this kind of performance, or do you trade him for an ok but most likely not great haul? It isn't a straight forward decision at all.
    and the 1st is likely in the high 20's. Colorado isn't gonna trade Ottawa's pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    yes, I was! ...but the main point still stands... They scored 65 and allowed 68. The O gets the lead and the D can't hold it.

Karlsson will cost a lot more $$$ than Hayes.
    I think they blow leads because they lay back, stop pressuring and sit back. That's when we need a couple top-tier players to continue to push the pace, push the team to keep going. Control the puck, control the play.

We are screwed on D for this season plus 2 more until those contracts come off. By that time, you have everyone else on the team getting new deals, and we have no idea where they will be at at that time.

We are at a crossroads of where this franchise is headed for the next 8 seasons. As much as I like Hayes, not sure I can commit big money over a lengthy contract for that.

As much as I like Hayes, not sure I can commit big money over a lengthy contract for that.
    I'm leaning towards this as well.

To put in perspective, Hayes is about to be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on the team. Your top paid guys are a 45 year old goalie, a #3 Dman, and a 2/3 C.

I think they blow leads because they lay back, stop pressuring and sit back. That's when we need a couple top-tier players to continue to push the pace, push the team to keep going. Control the puck, control the play.

We are screwed on D for this season plus 2 more until those contracts come off. By that time, you have everyone else on the team getting new deals, and we have no idea where they will be at at that time.

We are at a crossroads of where this franchise is headed for the next 8 seasons. As much as I like Hayes, not sure I can commit big money over a lengthy contract for that.
    I don't think so. Trade one, buy one out. The money isn't an issue.

The only young player deal that looks expensive right now is Chytil. Kravtsov's ELC won't be over until 2022. Money isn't an issue.

Resign Hayes this year. Bridge Buch. You wan't top tier players not middle 6 guys. Next year trade Vlad, and/or Strome, and/or Vesey, TRADE FAST. Those are the resignings that will get you in trouble. Giving $3-3.5M to Fast is way worse than $7 to Hayes.

Not sure you will get someone willing to take Staal, Shattenkirk or Smith without taking the same salary back, or giving up assets to dump them.

I hate guy outs. I'd rather play the guy than have dead cap space for additional years.

Agree with the third point, for the most part. Just don't see Hayes as a $7m guy. or a $6m guy. Unless youve done what Henrik has done, I dont care who you are - I dont want to overpay. Especially not 2nd & 3rd liners. Overpaying Fast or Hayes by $2m per, same to me.

Not sure you will get someone willing to take Staal, Shattenkirk or Smith without taking the same salary back, or giving up assets to dump them.

I hate guy outs. I'd rather play the guy than have dead cap space for additional years.

Agree with the third point, for the most part. Just don't see Hayes as a $7m guy. or a $6m guy. Unless youve done what Henrik has done, I dont care who you are - I dont want to overpay. Especially not 2nd & 3rd liners. Overpaying Fast or Hayes by $2m per, same to me.
    But again, we have plenty of cap flexibility. We want them gone simply to create an opening for a youngster on an ELC. Weather you trade one 50% retained or have at most $1.4M for 2 dead years (from Shatty), you're allowing kids to gain experience, saving money, and the dead money is off the books before it matters.

Moderator Junior Division
    To put in perspective, Hayes is about to be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on the team. Your top paid guys are a 45 year old goalie, a #3 Dman, and a 2/3 C.
    Well when he's your 2nd or 3rd best player, that seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well when he's your 2nd or 3rd best player, that seems reasonable.
    That does not justify overpaying him.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Rangers are going nowhere with this defensive corps. By the time its fixed Hayes will be on the backend of whatever contract he gets. Trade him and acquire the assets. Keep accelerating the rebuild by trading him. Don't get cold feet over Kevin Hayes after ripping the team apart last season.
    Last edited by rmc51; 12-19-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Rangers are going nowhere with this defensive corps. By the time its fixed Hayes will be on the backend of whatever contract he gets. Trade him and acquire the assets. Keep accelerating the rebuild by trading him. Don't get wet feet over Kevin Hayes after ripping the team apart last season.
    This.

(PS I think you mean "cold" feet lol but I might just adapt wet as my own.)
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    This.

(PS I think you mean "cold" feet lol but I might just adapt wet as my own.)
    Lol it sounded off as i was typing it on my phone...thanks

HNIC BSBH Legend
    That does not justify overpaying him.
    I'd love to know your idea of overpayment.

Also we can trade him, and sign him as a UFA.

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    I agree with Brooks' comments that you cannot get rid of the guy who has been your best skater over the past year in exchange for a role of the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'd love to know your idea of overpayment.
    Depends what you get I suppose.
    The numbers being talked about wouldn't be overpaying for this years version of Hayes. It probably would for the previous model.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast