• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Arranged Third Period Truces: Regulation Record is Now 8-13-11

Sod16

Is anyone even talking about changing this ridiculous situation where over a third of a team's games are regulation ties? Before OT, a typical NHL team might play 11 ties over the course of an entire 80 game schedule! It was unlikely that we were going to keep on getting two points from these games as we were earlier. It was bound to even out. Please, no more arranged truces in close games in the third period!

I'd love to see the NHL do away with the shootout, while we're at it.

I still think OT should be for the playoffs only. I'm old school...gimme a tie after 60 min any day. OT was always special in the playoffs.

So, 2 points for a win, 1.5 points for a loss??

in regular season, no ot. just 2 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie. save ot for the playoffs. we did away with the long overtimes in the regular season, so take the next logical step to save wear and tear. then, the last 5 minutes of regulation will matter again.

in regular season, no ot. just 2 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie. save ot for the playoffs. we did away with the long overtimes in the regular season, so take the next logical step to save wear and tear. then, the last 5 minutes of regulation will matter again.

This here above, Josh man! ;)

This worked for many years. This "each team gets a point" shit is like a participation trophy. I think it's pretty far fetched to say that having an OT followed by a shootout is "Marketing Genius" by the NHL. I also think that the shootout takes away from the novelty of a penalty shot.

I used to shit myself when someone got awarded a penalty shot back in the day; fans would be on their feet and ready to explode...Now it's like....Yeah, who gives a shit!

The NHL really should take a closer look at it's regular season setup. These games at some junctures seem to drag on and on, and nowadays we have 2 teams playing for an Overtime, just so they both get a point. Remember when a team actually needed a win and needed to beat another team???

There's a simple solution. If a game is tied after the 2nd period, you have the shootout before the 3rd. This way both team know the outcome of the shootout already and the loser is more likely to "go for it" than play for any kind of tie.

There's a simple solution. If a game is tied after the 2nd period, you have the shootout before the 3rd. This way both team know the outcome of the shootout already and the loser is more likely to "go for it" than play for any kind of tie.

And what happens if one team leads 3-0 before 3rd, but its 3-3 after the 3rd? Plus that way the team that won the shootout would play the tie as a win and it would just be "unfair".

Should either be a 3-point system. 3 points for W, 2 points for OT/SO W, 1 points for OT/SO loss and 0 for regular time loss. OR you continue with the 2p, but OT losers dont get nothing. Having some games as 3 point games and some as 2 point games are just dumb.

And what happens if one team leads 3-0 before 3rd, but its 3-3 after the 3rd? Plus that way the team that won the shootout would play the tie as a win and it would just be "unfair".

Should either be a 3-point system. 3 points for W, 2 points for OT/SO W, 1 points for OT/SO loss and 0 for regular time loss. OR you continue with the 2p, but OT losers dont get nothing. Having some games as 3 point games and some as 2 point games are just dumb.

The 3-point system makes a ton of sense.

But the NHL won't do it. Their system is designed to keep things close and competitive, not to reward winners. It's how the Rangers can be 6 out of the playoffs, with 2 games in hand, despite having the fewest ROW in the league. NHL loves that shit.

I like the older format except since OT is only 5 minutes, I would do 4 on 4 rather than 5 on 5. Winner gets 2 points, loser gets 0, 1 point each for a tie.

Edit: Actually nevermind, just do 5 on 5.

That format wasn't terrible, Vodka....I just like having the drama of OT for the playoffs.

WrKPhfd.gif

Zuuuuuuuuuuuc's question about a lead that ends up being tied is very valid. Perhaps you could do a shootout for EVERY game. hahahaha

WrKPhfd.gif

Zuuuuuuuuuuuc's question about a lead that ends up being tied is very valid. Perhaps you could do a shootout for EVERY game. hahahaha

Fine, do the shootout before OT, after the third. Then you'll have a better OT.

every goal gets you a plinko chip. At the end of the game, the players drop their chips down the plinko wall to see how many points their team gets.

Talk about excitement!

Funny thing is that actually sounds like something Bettman would go for!!! Anything that makes the NHL into a circus is seemingly in play. I dunno, sometimes I just think it's me, but I just think less is more in the NHL.

It's a Bettman thing I think, Josh man. I've never been a fan of Bettman though. I think when he took over, he had this idea that he had to compete with the other major 3 sports...which didn't really appeal to some hockey fans...like me. I always liked hockey being that "closed group" of people that kinda had the secret handshake...and kinda understood "yeah! This dude's a hockey fan" kinda thing.

I still think the NHL sold out to appeal to a larger group of people for the almighty dollar...

But I don't think an extra 5 minutes of OT, and a dumb ass breakaway contest is anyway to market a sport that has had the tradition and legacy of the NHL.

The league always has had dumb ideas from non-hockey marketing people. Fans were not offended by ties before, which happened about half as often. The league thinks it cannot outlaw fighting, but attendance has not been hurt one bit over a period of years in which the the number of fights has fallen in half.

The league always has had dumb ideas from non-hockey marketing people. Fans were not offended by ties before, which happened about half as often. The league thinks it cannot outlaw fighting, but attendance has not been hurt one bit over a period of years in which the the number of fights has fallen in half.

It?s not the current fans the league is really interested in, it?s the fans that they are trying to gain by some of the changes they are making

I think you're right, man.

I suppose it just pains me to see a game I once viewed as a tougher contest, turn into an NHL skills competition where everyone gets a trophy (OT Ties) at the end. I realize it's for marketing the game and I get that, but I really don't think it does much. I think the game could actually sell itself nowadays.

You can credit Bettman, fine...but I give more credit to social media, and the media in general. Hockey is one of the fastest, and most exciting games out there, and it was just a matter of time before it went viral. I'll call it good timing...not-so much Bettman.

...and I surely don't think an extra 5 minutes, and a fucking shootout are the reason the game is as popular as it is. If anything, I hate the damn shootout, and I also despise the fact that when you beat a team in OT, they get a fucking point. That shit's gotta go, in my not-so-humble opinion, I'm sorry...

But it ain't gonna happen so I guess, it's all a moot point.

Archived