• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Andrew Ference Rips 2013-15 Edmonton Oilers

Karan

Andrew Ference has again ripped into the party atmosphere and lack of work ethic of the 2013-15 Edmonton Oilers.

This time Ference was speaking to Elliotte Friedman on the excellent 31 Thoughts podcast, and addressed why things went poorly with the Oilers at that time.

It was a combination of problems, Ference said, including hardcore pressure from the fans and media. ?That aspect of feeling, uh, like more so scared to make a mistake and be the whipping boy rather than being bold and taking your chances and having that confidence to try the play. I think some guys might get into that role of just being scared to be the whipping boys? You take less risks. Your urge to win and be bold is less than your urge to not be the whipping boy or stand out. I think that is one aspect. I think that the quickness that radio or newspaper or fans jump and attack their own guys is horrible. I think that the quickness to defend players within the organization. I remember Jeff Petry or Schultz getting raked over the coals and nobody coming to defend them and just trading them after they?ve beaten them down for months, then trading them. It?s like, ?God.? It?s not just for those guys but it?s for other guys on the team, you?re looking at and saying, ?They don?t have his back. Are they going to have mine when it?s my turn to be the whipping boy???

Then Ference got into a second issue, the lack of commitment of some of the younger Oilers players. ?I think the most frustrating part for me as a player, I went in there straight from Boston, was that talk is cheap. I went in and Dallas Eakins is a fantastic coach. There?s another whipping boy who got raked over the coals. There?s a fantastic coach that was dealt just a pure crap hand in a team that would actually listen. You had a group of players that talked about how they wanted to make the playoffs, and talked about how sick they were of losing, and then by Game Three after losing 6-1, they?re straight out to the bar to three in the morning, lighting up the night life scene in Edmonton. Like, come on, give me a break. It was too the point where it was ridiculous where the lifestyle was way more important than actually playing the game and making the playoffs...

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/andrew-ference-rips-terrible-practice-habits-party-atmosphere-of-2013-15-edmonton-oilers

One of the more honest and candid insights into the struggles of the Oilers after the SCF run.

Not entirely a surprise but I'm sure it'll make a few butthurt Oilers fans sore when they realize their 'young stars' had a big part in their struggles and not just the crappy management.

This was a fantastic and candid interview. Loved it.

Management wasn't holding the players accountable, or defending the players who were not part of the problem, but just under it.

I found it really eye opening that there were players on the team who'd chastise other players for working too hard in practice, and how different it was from the work ethic in Boston...And 3 years later Strome is saying the same thing (about noticing how hard the Rangers work).

They should really blow that team up because nothing is working there.

This was a fantastic and candid interview. Loved it.

Management wasn't holding the players accountable, or defending the players who were not part of the problem, but just under it.

I found it really eye opening that there were players on the team who'd chastise other players for working too hard in practice, and how different it was from the work ethic in Boston...And 3 years later Strome is saying the same thing (about noticing how hard the Rangers work).

They should really blow that team up because nothing is working there.

I agree, it?s time to trade McDavid to NY

Well for one, he's generally regarded as part of the problem from local Oiler fans I've talked to say.

Two, he's talking about past teams that were garbage in general

Three, he praises.. Peter Chirelli

"generally regarded as part of the problem" is too vague for me, sorry.

He's talking about why the team was garbage.

Archived