• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Andersson Facing Uncertain Future as Rangers Get Healthy

Phil

The Rangers haven?t had their full complement of forwards since Nov. 14 against the Sabres, 15 games ago. And while Cody McLeod (broken hand) will still be sidelined for the foreseeable future, the Blueshirts will be as healthy up-front as they have been for a month when Mats Zuccarello (groin) and Pavel Buchnevich (broken thumb) rejoin the lineup, probably as soon as Friday against the Coyotes at the Garden.

That will trigger management discussions and personnel decisions, with the most noteworthy concerning the status of Lias Andersson, who seems to be destined for a fourth-line role and corresponding limited minutes if he remains with the varsity.

As it has been since training camp, the question general manager Jeff Gorton and his staff will confront is whether it is more beneficial for the 20-year-old to get fewer minutes in the NHL or major minutes down below in Hartford.

?We?re assessing that all of the time, and not just with Lias, but all of our young guys,? Gorton told The Post as the Rangers practiced here on Sunday in advance of Monday?s match against the powerhouse Lightning. ?But when we are healthy, we will have conversations about where we?re at, and what?s best for him and the team.

?I think overall he?s been effective for us and has helped us. I?m sure he?d like to figure more in the offense, but he?s progressing and he?s playing the right way. I think he?s been pretty good.?

Andersson has recorded a goal and two assists through 15 games while averaging 10:53 of ice time, including seven in which he?s gotten less than 10:00. He has played two games as a top-six winger, three games as a third-line winger, one game as a third-line center, one game as a fourth-line winger and eight as the Blueshirts? fourth-line center.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/10/young-forward-facing-uncertain-future-as-rangers-get-healthy/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once fully healthy I'd keep him here and put the lines as

Names - Zib - Buch...was playing real well when Buch broke his hand

Krieder - Hayes - Chytil...like this line, the Strome-Chytil thing in the FLA game didn't work

Vesey - Howden - Strome...good hard working 3rd line

Fast - Andersson - Zucc...give Andersson some decent line-mates and balance out the overall TOI

Once fully healthy I'd keep him here and put the lines as

Names - Zib - Buch...was playing real well when Buch broke his hand

Krieder - Hayes - Chytil...like this line, the Strome-Chytil thing in the FLA game didn't work

Vesey - Howden - Strome...good hard working 3rd line

Fast - Andersson - Zucc...give Andersson some decent line-mates and balance out the overall TOI

Dont mind these. I'd switch Zucc and Strome, although, Zucc would give them a puck carrier on that line, so that might be beneficial.

But I anticipate Beleskey/McLeod in the line up, for the majority of games, which means Andersson is out.

He's a JV player so that's where he should be this year his lone goal was off his taint. I also don't subscribe to he should be given more mins etc. he's shown so little overall he doesn't deserve them. Not saying he won't turn into something but right now woof. Chytil and Howden seem to have cooled off significantly, hopefully they can pick it back up once the others return.

I mean, writing someone off at 20 years old in their first 30 games is pretty extreme. Most players don't come directly into the NHL and have success.

I hear you, but when you see Chytil vs Howden, Chytil has a dynamic aspect to his game that's apparent, even when he's not converting. His game oozes offense.

Howden is more meat and potates, cycle, get pucks to net, maybe some will go in...Kind of like Dubinsky. But he seems smarter.

I’d like to see Andersson get a run alongside decent players on a settled line before sending him down.

It’s virtually impossible to assess a young kid playing on a line like that, I recall people wanted to send Chytil down when he was toiling away on the 4th getting fuck all done.

If he can’t get it done on a decent line then let’s discuss.

Another case of too many complimentary linemates. I can eventually see Chytil pushing a line as a C, in the future. Not seeing it from Howden or Andersson at this point. Need some "makes guys around him better" players, or its going to continue to be a tough place for guys to improve, and be a line driver in the future.

Archived