Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rangers, Shattenkirk at Unintended Crossroads

Senior Member Midget Division
    I meant for his size. His teammates even say he is tenacious and very willing to bang bodies on D and along the boards.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yeah? Where did they say this?

Before you look that up, when's the last time a guy called another guy on his team a wimp?

Come on Giac. You're better than this.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Iím a Pionk fan. Give him time.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Time doesn't lead to toughness and physicality. Other skills sure, he looks like a little kid out there. No D but some offensive flashes.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Pionk is tied for 2nd on the team in hits with McLeod and Kreider (54). Skjei is No.1 with 66. I don't know what other standard you can use for a defensman and Physicality.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    They're Callahits or Clutterhits.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I’m still skeptical. He’s been great offensively, and maybe the defense will come along, but I don’t see a top pair guy in him. If a team wants to trades assets for him, like he is a potential top pair dman, yes. And I’ll eat crow if he proves me wrong.

I like Deangelo more in the depth defenseman dept. Shattenkirk can play the pp. we aren’t “losing much”.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I’m just not sure why if a guy isn’t projected to be a top pair dman, he has to be traded...
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I’m just not sure why if a guy isn’t projected to be a top pair dman, he has to be traded...
    Me neither, nor denigrated as an AHLer. I think he is a top 4 player now. If we look at all the RHDs in the NHL, he may not be in the top 32, but he is clearly in that next group and probably towards the top.

He is also young, cheap, fast, scores points, is ascending and has a great attitude. Great teammate, great effort and keeps learning/progressing at a good clip. I'd take him over Faulk or Pesce, to address another thread. He's better than any righty on Toronto. Take a look at other teams besides Anaheim, Tampa and Nash and a couple of others.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I’m still skeptical. He’s been great offensively, and maybe the defense will come along, but I don’t see a top pair guy in him. If a team wants to trades assets for him, like he is a potential top pair dman, yes. And I’ll eat crow if he proves me wrong.

I like Deangelo more in the depth defenseman dept. Shattenkirk can play the pp. we aren’t “losing much”.
    Screw Shatty, and I like the person. Pionk is already better, both offensively, defensively and on special teams. He has supplanted him and is our #1 RHD and on the first PP at 23 y/o. Trade Shatty! He's superfluous with Pionk and ADA.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Iím just not sure why if a guy isnít projected to be a top pair dman, he has to be traded...
    Simple... He's worth more on assets than he is on the ice.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Simple... He's worth more on assets than he is on the ice.
    Is he? I don't think he's worth much in assets at this point. He hasn't proven anything.

At some point we're going to have to stop trading for assets and just fill out a roster. I think Pionk is a good low pairing defensemen for this team moving forward -- or at least for the next few seasons until someone else displaces him.

Right now we have a slew of D man that are neither good nor valuable on the trade market.
    GORTON 2020

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Kevin Shattenkirk needs power-play time for trade showcase

It is not about whether Shattenkirk ó who had been receiving limited second-unit power-play time even before he suffered his shoulder separation in Tampa on Dec. 10 ó merits the time over Pionk (clearly, he does not) or merits the time at all. It is about putting Shattenkirk, who will turn 30 before the end of next month and has two years at an annual $6.65 million cap hit remaining on his contract that includes a limited no-trade clause, in the best possible situation to increase ó if not, establish ó his value on the market. And if not on the market, then to the Rangers.

If Shattenkirk does not get substantial time on the power play ó and with the teamís loaded unit that features Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad and Kevin Hayes ó then the Rangers have a $6.65 million third-pair defenseman who gets occasional time on the power play even though running the man-advantage unit has been one of his prime assets. It is Keith Yandle on the third pair and second power-play unit. It is Bobby Holik as first-line center. It is Eric Staal at third-line left wing.

Shattenkirk failing to get a first unit assignment upon his return is self-defeating.
    https://nypost.com/2018/12/29/kevin-...site%20buttons
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123