• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Slats' Best Signing?

Phil

Slats is renowned for his lop-sided trade victories, which were often countered by horrific free agent signings, but he's actually done some good work on that front. Gaborik (two-time 40-goal scorer), Zuccarello, Girardi (undrafted), and others were all signed by the ol' cigar aficionado.

Who, in your opinion, was his absolute best signing?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Gaborik is far and away the best signing, it's really a race for second.

I'd go with Girardi. He soured at the end of his time here, but people forget that he was really good for a decade, and was a major part of the culture change around the organization when Renney was here.

I think Gaborik is far and away the best signing, it's really a race for second.

I'd go with Girardi. He soured at the end of his time here, but people forget that he was really good for a decade, and was a major part of the culture change around the organization when Renney was here.

Gabby is still paying dividends in the players we got for him. Players like Brass who contributed mightily to the finals run and who ultimately yielded us Z.

Zuc was a great signing and solid resigning. G was a great signing and terrible resigning. Stralman was a great signing and awful no-attempt at resigning. Fuck Slats, he was not good enough and was lucky to continue here after the lockout. He redeemed himself some, to his credit with a lot of help, but ultimately failed. He had to hand over a good chunk of his kingdom to Gorton because he knew he could not keep up with the job any longer. He was getting his ass kicked by other GMs and everybody including his colleagues and subordinates knew it.

Gaborik. Rangers have missed having a game breaker since he left, as Nash never filled that role.

Oh good grief. In his first 3 seasons - Nash

21 G in 44 games (39 pace)

26 G in 65 games (32.8 pace)

42 G in 79 games

What more do you need to do to be a gamebreaker?

Oh good grief. In his first 3 seasons - Nash

21 G in 44 games (39 pace)

26 G in 65 games (32.8 pace)

42 G in 79 games

What more do you need to do to be a gamebreaker?

Okay, you forgot total points as well as the next two and a half seasons. Whoops. He had one 40+ goal season and was a perennial playoff failure. While Gaborik put up 75+ points in two of his three seasons including a 40/40 season. Gaborik was a game breaker for time he was here. Nash wasn't on the same level.

Okay, you forgot total points as well as the next two and a half seasons. Whoops. He had one 40+ goal season and was a perennial playoff failure. While Gaborik put up 75+ points in two of his three seasons including a 40/40 season. Gaborik was a game breaker for time he was here. Nash wasn't on the same level.

Gabby didn't do anything in the playoffs either. What'd he have, 6 goals in 25 games or somethign?

Nash's last 3 seasons don't matter, because you said "since Gaborik." Nash was after Gaborik, and if you don't think a 40-goal scorer is a gamebreaker, I don't know what to tell you.

Archived