• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins "Tested the Market" on Phil Kessel

Phil

8. According to multiple sources, Pittsburgh ?tested the market? on Phil Kessel. This one is tricky, because the Penguins appear to have decided to hold off on anything involving him for the time being, but that doesn?t mean it can?t or won?t be revisited. Three weeks ago, the Penguins were last in the Eastern Conference. Tuesday?s win over Colorado put them within two points of the playoffs, and who is betting against them? GM Jim Rutherford?s been searching for ways to upgrade the roster. He?s made two moves ? Carl Hagelin to Los Angeles for Tanner Pearson, Daniel Sprong to Anaheim for Marcus Pettersson ? but is eyeing more. The Penguins don?t have a ton to trade without seriously altering the team. Kessel has some control of the process with partial no-trade protection. Toronto still pays $1.2 million of his $8-million salary. The winger has 10 goals and 29 points in 26 games, so the production is still there. We?ll see where it goes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-seattle-expansion-quebec-city-william-nylander/

They're not going to get a more skilled player for that price. I don't know why they'd trade him unless they're going to rebuild -- which I don't think they are.

Yeah, I don't think you rebuild with Crosby and Malkin as your top two centers. In like...5 more years when Crosby is 36, I think then you start thinking about rebuilding if the Pens aren't at the top of the league.

Why? It's the same team that won in 16 and 17.

I just don't see it. Sid and Malkin are still great. Sausage boy is still producing. I just don't think the supporting cast is there. And the goaltending is a massive question mark. I don't think they have a hope in hell in getting past the best teams in East. They're simply not as good as they were in 16/17.

I just don't see it. Sid and Malkin are still great. Sausage boy is still producing. I just don't think the supporting cast is there. And the goaltending is a massive question mark. I don't think they have a hope in hell in getting past the best teams in East. They're simply not as good as they were in 16/17.

Goaltending is the biggest question, but people forget that they were in, what, 14th place in January in 16?

It's just not a team that cares about November and December. And the East is way, way down. They can still beat the Caps, CBJ and TOR, and TBL is the same team they were last year...every team has questions.

Goaltending is the biggest question, but people forget that they were in, what, 14th place in January in 16?

It's just not a team that cares about November and December. And the East is way, way down. They can still beat the Caps, CBJ and TOR, and TBL is the same team they were last year...every team has questions.

Well we're in complete guesswork mode now, but I just don't see them hanging with TBL and TOR. Don't have the speed, don't have the depth. I don't think they can deal with the Caps and possibly Bruins either. My strong feeling is their window has passed.

Of course, if they get hot it's a possibility, but if I was a betting man I'd bet against the Pens troubling the Stanley Cup this season.

Well we're in complete guesswork mode now, but I just don't see them hanging with TBL and TOR. Don't have the speed, don't have the depth. I don't think they can deal with the Caps and possibly Bruins either. My strong feeling is their window has passed.

Of course, if they get hot it's a possibility, but if I was a betting man I'd bet against the Pens troubling the Stanley Cup this season.

Sure, but that's exactly what everyone said in 2016.

Last year, everyone gave TB the Cup in January.

I know it's guesswork, but a team with Pitt's resume gets the benefit of the doubt in being a contender, when all is said and done.

They're missing the "lay it out there" guys. Conner Sheary, Kuhnackl (however you spell it), Bonino, Cullen, Fehr, Kunitz.

They're bottom 6 is like a who's who of cares.

Ah, I understand. Top-heavy Colorado is doing pretty well right now though, and it is only December like some other posters have mentioned.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They're missing the "lay it out there" guys. Conner Sheary, Kuhnackl (however you spell it), Bonino, Cullen, Fehr, Kunitz.

They're bottom 6 is like a who's who of cares.

'

Right on with Sheary and Bonino, among others. But you forgot the two guys key to their character and turnaround that year. Hags and Fleury. Flower bounced back from the injury and led that streak when Murrray got hurt. They were truly a two headed goaltending monster for the Cup. Hagelin was pivotal in solving their need for speed, D and a determined elite forechecker.

Archived