• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Expecting $83~ Million Salary Cap Next Season

Phil

Nice, so extra wiggle room/discount on Panarin for the Rangers. 7 years 70-77 million. I don't think he's quite worth what Tavares got, but I'd do what it takes.
We've got 5 basic at best defensemen against the cap, making close to 25 million... one of them plays for Tampa.

Yeah, I guess so. With the roster we have we should be near the floor honestly.

I can't quite figure out why we picked up McQuaid.

Every time I go to capfriendly and look for the Rangers, I'm stunned to see them above the fold, rather than near the cellar.

How we only have 3m in space this year is incomprehensible to me.

They're fine with the cap. They had no reason to clear for this season. Skjei and Zib are the only players committed past 20-21 and NY can effectively spend whatever they want this offseason.

Zucc, McQuaid and the cap increase alone gives them close to $10m in additional space next year. If Namestnikov, Strome, and Hayes are all gone, you're up to like $25m. Staal buyout saves you another $2.8.

They're fine with the cap. They had no reason to clear for this season. Skjei and Zib are the only players committed past 20-21 and NY can effectively spend whatever they want this offseason.

Zucc, McQuaid and the cap increase alone gives them close to $10m in additional space next year. If Namestnikov, Strome, and Hayes are all gone, you're up to like $25m. Staal buyout saves you another $2.8.

I agree for the most part. The second year's given to Spooner (who they had to retain on just to get rid of) and Namestnikov were just dumb and unnecessary.

I agree for the most part. The second year's given to Spooner (who they had to retain on just to get rid of) and Namestnikov were just dumb and unnecessary.

The idea may have been that two years makes them better trade assets. It also provides at least a little security to allow them to concentrate on being Rangers and put forth their best selves. Which is good for the team, traded or not.

I think they bet correctly on Names, while Spooner wasn't really a fit and they managed to swap him for a much better defensive player, with maybe more upside. The Cap hit stayed the same, which was the idea of the retention from Edm's perspective.

The concussion kinda sucks, Names certainly established some trade value just before that hit. Plus he was flying to the net with reckless abandon and complementing our better players with solid D and doing all the little things Fast had been doing, with much better puck control.

To add, he's an asset for guys like Stamkos or Z because he thinks the game fast, anticipates what good players will do and is quick enough to keep up with them.

That's a nice bump, what I had seen weeks/months ago and posted here. I think we will see more bumps of the same percentage going forward.

Stronger Canadian dollar, better runs from Canadian teams, solving the Western Canada oil problem (don't ask), Seattle franchise, etc....all bodes well for the league.

If you ever got a Rangers-Blackhawks Stanley Cup Final, watch out.

P.S. Rangers most valuable team once again, $1.55 billion.

Archived