Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: [RS] (#28) Rangers at Montreal Canadiens // Quelque Chose Français

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    100% agree. If there were ever a candidate that would benefit from a complete dedication to the basics I think Skjei is it. They need to tear him down and build him back up. If it's the same deal come February I'd go so far as sending him down to cement that message.

Jay's did this with Halladay, just broke him and built him back up to a God. Not the same thing obviously, but same philosophy.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    100% agree. If there were ever a candidate that would benefit from a complete dedication to the basics I think Skjei is it.
    Not a bad idea, he needs a reboot and maybe it needs to happen on a more fundamental level. Take a step back in order to take two forward. He could and should be much better then Del Zotto, on size and backward skating alone. He also demonstrated a defensive aptitude and good gap control, up until last year.

Last night was possibly his worst performance. What was so alarming was the mental mistakes he made. He made not one, but two mental mistakes that resulted in the goal at the end of the period. Then in his infinite wisdom, he thought he could make it up to start the 2nd by pressing the O desperately, leading to an ill-advised pinch and getting caught deep, as they scored again.

I'm not sure the coach paid too much attention to Skjei as a project, the way he has with the kids, Vesey, Hayes, Names, ADA, etc. There was so much Quinn had to do, especially with the blueline, that he may thought Skjei was the least of the issues, regarding individual fundamentals. Maybe now is the time for Quinn and the other coaches to take a more activist role in the fundamentals of his game.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    100% agree. If there were ever a candidate that would benefit from a complete dedication to the basics I think Skjei is it. They need to tear him down and build him back up. If it's the same deal come February I'd go so far as sending him down to cement that message.

Jay's did this with Halladay, just broke him and built him back up to a God. Not the same thing obviously, but same philosophy.
    It's worth a shot but clearly it didn't do a damn thing for Smith, the guys hockey IQ is still several feet below the whale shit level. I would be fine if we got a bag of pucks for his sorry ass at this point. What a bust.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, I haven't noticed a single change in Smith's ability, he got a temporary pass based on some feel good articles on him at start of training camp, but he's still terrible.

I understand their wanting to conjur some value up in that contract to move him next year but that looks pretty optimistic at this point.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Smith isn't great. But at the same time, it kind of doesn't matter this year... in fact bad, is okay.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Smith isn't great. But at the same time, it kind of doesn't matter this year... in fact bad, is okay.
    Agree but at the same time it appears like a shit return on another Gorton contract. I just don't have the faith some of you guys have that the guy has the ability to rebuild this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Agree but at the same time it appears like a shit return on another Gorton contract. I just don't have the faith some of you guys have that the guy has the ability to rebuild this mess.
    The fact that he had the foresight to tear it down gives me hope. I feel like there are a lot of spineless GMs who would have continued to kick the can down the road until Hank retired to appease Dolan.

That said, there are a few deals that I just flat out don't like. I liked the Smith signing when it happened. I thought he brought a good element to the team when he came over from Detroit. I think Smith just let everyone down.

I think the Skjei signing was a mistake and I think the Shattenkirk signing was a mistake. The McQuaid deal is puzzling as well.

Another draft with a top 10 pick will cement his legacy and a #1 overall pick will change everything. Time will tell if he fucks it up or not.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    The fact that he had the foresight to tear it down gives me hope. I feel like there are a lot of spineless GMs who would have continued to kick the can down the road until Hank retired to appease Dolan.

That said, there are a few deals that I just flat out don't like. I liked the Smith signing when it happened. I thought he brought a good element to the team when he came over from Detroit. I think Smith just let everyone down.

I think the Skjei signing was a mistake and I think the Shattenkirk signing was a mistake. The McQuaid deal is puzzling as well.

Another draft with a top 10 pick will cement his legacy and a #1 overall pick will change everything. Time will tell if he fucks it up or not.
    I'm with you 31.

Agreed this team needs to find a way to get some elite talent otherwise it’s the last 10 years all over again.

Never liked smith and have always hated that signing. Not the biggest Shattenkirk fan but at least I understand the thinking on that one.

Otherwise I agree. Tearing it down before it was in ruins was a great move. Also really love the Quinn hiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567