• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zucc ?sitting alone and waiting? to be traded?

Phil

?A trade appears to be the most likely outcome. I guess am prepared for it,? Zuccarello said. ?Basically, I?m just waiting for it to happen. It?s a tough spot to be in, if I?m being honest.? The 31 year old fan favorite didn?t stop there and his next words will surely sting even more.

?I?ve always said that I only ever want to play for the New York Rangers, but I?ve been thinking ? I?m getting older and maybe I could use a new spark?. That new spark would be going to a contender and having a chance to add a Stanley Cup to his career. Still, Zuccarello admitted that it won?t be easy when the day comes.

?It will be a very sad day, of course. I?ve been here a long time and know everyone in the organization, so it will be very sad. But I also think that it can be a positive thing, if it happens. You can get a spark from trying something new.?

https://foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-zuccarello-just-sitting-alone-and-waiting-to-be-traded-we-speak-with-reporter-roy-kvatningen-about-the-interview/

--

I'm not big on these guys as a blog, but this is coming directly from the source, it seems.

Pretty candid response, which is refreshing. He could for sure use a spark, considering how he's played this year.

I think the Rangers would do well to move him sooner rather than later, if possible. He's been a good soldier. Don't dangle it over his head all year if they can help it.

I've always like Zucc as a player. I thought he always played with heart and gave a consistent effort night in and night out. Unfortunately, due to his age and the current make-up of this team, he will help the team more by being moved for a younger asset than he will by playing. I think he does need to show that he's healthy though prior to being moved so the Rangers can maximize his return.

I've always like Zucc as a player. I thought he always played with heart and gave a consistent effort night in and night out. Unfortunately, due to his age and the current make-up of this team, he will help the team more by being moved for a younger asset than he will by playing. I think he does need to show that he's healthy though prior to being moved so the Rangers can maximize his return.

Agree on all counts. With Slobber and Alive too. The guy has a groin and will need to show he's fully recovered and making plays again, before we can move him for a 1st. I think he will get it going and eventually we will get a team like the Jets or Nash to pony up a 1st at the deadline. If healthy everyone will be offering a 2nd and B prospect. The first team to offer a 1st gets him.

Agree on all counts. With Slobber and Alive too. The guy has a groin and will need to show he's fully recovered and making plays again, before we can move him for a 1st. I think he will get it going and eventually we will get a team like the Jets or Nash to pony up a 1st at the deadline. If healthy everyone will be offering a 2nd and B prospect. The first team to offer a 1st gets him.

I don't think you have to worry about him only getting a 2nd round pick. He's (sadly) been the Rangers best forward for a number of years and puts up consistent performances in the playoffs. He's worth a 1st +

I think he has to go regardless of the money.

He’s worth more to the Rangers as trade chip than as a resigned vet, even if he’s willing to take a discount.

It’s a textbook example of a trade that must be made by a rebuilding team regardless of emotions.

If there's room, maybe, but I'm ready to move on from his type of game. No offence to him, thanks for the memories but it's too weird for me. Plodding skater, long novelty stick you can't really shoot with, and some cave troll magic, it's just weird.

If there's room, maybe, but I'm ready to move on from his type of game. No offence to him, thanks for the memories but it's too weird for me. Plodding skater, long novelty stick you can't really shoot with, and some cave troll magic, it's just weird.

Norway is weird to you. Chief Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" can't relate to the perspective of a small competitive guy overcoming the odds with hard-work, grit, determination and a love of the game. ;) Not saying Zuc is lacking talent or vision, yet he had to tightly refine his game over time to make up for other aspects. There is a reason we hear the cheers for Zuc, no matter which arena you see the Rangers.

Graves is right (especially after reading the interview), more than anyone Zuc should be traded. Particularly, if he returns a 1st. He's 31, a pending UFA, brings value to a contender, is ready to accept a change and compete elsewhere. Moving him would no longer create any backlash.

As for bringing him back, Pete makes sense. If the staff wants him and there is plenty cap room and his term/$ are favorable, then I'm fine if mgmt considers it. It should not be a priority, but no need to rule it out. Remember, you are one of the few who agree that we are going to compete next year, if mgmt makes the right moves. Though you got a little ahead of yourself this year. With what I've seen of Chytil, Howden and Hajek and anticipate from Russia, plus the improvement from Vesey, Hayes, Kreids and Z, I'm not changing what I said since the sell-off. Quinn, mgmt and many of the youngsters have only reinforced that we are heading in the right direction.

I would not say plodding, but our need to add even more speed is what is working against him. Thus, he is not a priority, unless we find ourselves dealing guys like Hayes (who slows the game down) and Lias (who is still too slow for my liking, given who he is) and need a winger/distributor like him.

I would not say plodding, but our need to add even more speed is what is working against him. Thus, he is not a priority, unless we find ourselves dealing guys like Hayes (who slows the game down) and Lias (who is still too slow for my liking, given who he is) and need a winger/distributor like him.

Not every player needs to have blazing speed and the reason Zuccarello will be traded is certainly not because he's slow. He'll be traded because he has trade value. Rangers will likely get a 1st round pick for him, and that's what they covet right now. Another draft with a high 1st and two lower tier 1sts will dramatically increase the skill level in the system. The more players they can pile in the cupboards, the better, because it's really just a game of numbers: the more picks you have, the better chance you have at drafting an NHL player.

So while Zuccarello might not be fast or whatever the knock is about him, that's not the reason he's being traded.

31, You are misrepresenting my take, you must have missed my post just before the one you replied to:

Graves is right (especially after reading the interview), more than anyone Zuc should be traded. Particularly, if he returns a 1st. He's 31, a pending UFA, brings value to a contender, is ready to accept a change and compete elsewhere. Moving him would no longer create any backlash.

As for my comments about speed, I am referring to bringing Zuc back. Speed still needs to be a priority and teams w/o are struggling to be real contenders. My decision would be partially based on team composition. Essentially there is only so much room on a roster for guys who play a slower game.

Archived