• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TOR Re-Sign F William Nylander to 6-Year Extension; $6.969M AAV ? NICE!

Phil

12. Last Saturday on Headlines, Chris Johnston reported Toronto’s belief that William Nylander would be interested in a six-year deal at around $6.9 million per season. My best intel says that is not (yet) on the table, but it doesn’t mean it won’t be by 5:00 pm ET Dec. 1, when this phase of the dispute mercifully comes to its end.

I think the two sides are around $300,000/year apart. The problem is that both Toronto and Nylander think they’ve significantly moved off their original positions, so they get to a point where they don’t want to go further and dig in again. That might not sound like a lot, but Edmonton fans will remember Ryan Smyth was traded in 2007 when talks collapsed with both sides $100,000 apart.

13. A few things on Nylander: Toronto has told teams it will not take on salary that disrupts its future cap situation, making a trade unlikely — although some have tried. I’ve also searched for three-way possibilities, and am under the impression that’s an unlikely path. Their preferred option is still to sign him.

As for the negotiations, as someone who’s fought hard in his own discussions, I’d be a hypocrite to criticize Nylander. Many of you won’t sympathize, but the stress on everyone involved has been intense. Toronto knows Nylander makes it a better team, but the Maple Leafs must hold the line with major negotiations to come.

Other teams want them to be tough, since many are facing showdowns with their own restricted free agents. Those players (and their agents) want Nylander to scratch for every cent. He’s the one sitting out, which isn’t fun. And, even though I do think he’s the type to walk, it is definitely not the preferred option. Neither he nor Toronto wins if that happens. I hope that, at the end, he makes his own choice, not anyone else’s. He’s 22. It’s his life.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-senators-melnyk-scrambling-save-arena-deal/

Hayes would be a tremendous fit for them, even if they are loaded up top at C. They have a lot of finesse and skill on their roster, but Hayes brings an element of two way possession hockey that could be invaluable for them in the playoffs.

Would be interesting to see the Rangers work out a deal here. They would have to add a considerable amount with Hayes.

I don't understand these players at all. Don't you want to play?

What I hope - Nylander holds out beyond Dec 1 and the Maple Leafs win the cup this year.

Then he signs in TOR and they never win another cup in his tenure, or he gets picked up and still never wins a cup.

He's entitled to ask for whatever he wants, but there's a really big part of me that loses respect for the player every day that goes by and he doesn't sign. It seems so selfish...and being selfish on a 23-man roster isn't ideal.

Hayes would be a tremendous fit for them, even if they are loaded up top at C. They have a lot of finesse and skill on their roster, but Hayes brings an element of two way possession hockey that could be invaluable for them in the playoffs.

Would be interesting to see the Rangers work out a deal here. They would have to add a considerable amount with Hayes.

...but they have Kadri...for three years after this one...at 4.5m.

Not to mention, they have two 4Cs in Lindholm and Gauthier, so I disagree that Hayes is a good fit for TOR.

;947865]I don't understand these players at all. Don't you want to play?

What I hope - Nylander holds out beyond Dec 1 and the Maple Leafs win the cup this year.

Then he signs in TOR and they never win another cup in his tenure, or he gets picked up and still never wins a cup.

He's entitled to ask for whatever he wants, but there's a really big part of me that loses respect for the player every day that goes by and he doesn't sign. It seems so selfish...and being selfish on a 23-man roster isn't ideal.

His career could be over tomorrow. The players don't judge each other for trying to get paid as much as they can. They worked really hard to get where they are. Yeah they lead a glamorous life, and we sometimes think that they take it for granted, but they also retire with little to no security between 35 and 40.

His career could be over tomorrow. The players don't judge each other for trying to get paid as much as they can. They worked really hard to get where they are. Yeah they lead a glamorous life, and we sometimes think that they take it for granted, but they also retire with little to no security between 35 and 40.

This. Gotta get what you can, while you can. Imagine if he settles for less and gets a concussion in year two, making him half the player he once was? Get paid.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That.

Im not disagreeing to this, BUT he' still going to earn 6.5-7m dollar a year for 6-7 years? Lets say 6.5m for 6 years. That's 39m dollars (minus tax etc ofc). That is guarantee enough for the rest of your and your kids life, and probably their kids aswell unless you spend money like a goof. They're apparently arguing over 250-300k a year, which is a lot of money, but it's not like his life depends on those 250-300k extra. He's got the chance to play for one of the most promising franchises that is atm, and that core is almost a lock to win atleast one stanley cup over the next 10 years, but instead he wants some % extra cash and maybe go play in some shithole that will never win anything. I dont get it.

Im not disagreeing to this, BUT he' still going to earn 6.5-7m dollar a year for 6-7 years? Lets say 6.5m for 6 years. That's 39m dollars (minus tax etc ofc). That is guarantee enough for the rest of your and your kids life, and probably their kids aswell unless you spend money like a goof. They're apparently arguing over 250-300k a year, which is a lot of money, but it's not like his life depends on those 250-300k extra. He's got the chance to play for one of the most promising franchises that is atm, and that core is almost a lock to win atleast one stanley cup over the next 10 years, but instead he wants some % extra cash and maybe go play in some shithole that will never win anything. I dont get it.

Not sure it is just about getting more cash. He may have been promised one thing and Toronto is reneging.

He has the right to fight for what he thinks he's worth and I believe the gap is bigger than 250k.

Contracts are fully guaranteed. The second he signs, he's going to make $35m+. Whether his career ends tomorrow or not, he's getting paid, so "security" isn't really a thing here.

I don't blame him or any player for holding out, but it's not like the NFL.

Contracts are fully guaranteed. The second he signs, he's going to make $35m+. Whether his career ends tomorrow or not, he's getting paid, so "security" isn't really a thing here.

I don't blame him or any player for holding out, but it's not like the NFL.

Thanks, I know. But he hasn't signed yet. That's the entire point. I don't blame him for holding out for what he thinks he's worth.

Archived