• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Shattenkirk Conundrum

Phil

So here's something fun I stumbled over this morning on Twitter:

Kevin Shattenkirk is on pace for 27 points this season. In a vacuum? Brutal. But context matters.

Over the last ten seasons, he's scored just under 50% (48 and change) on the PP. Yet with the Rangers, he's been relegated to PP2 where he's just not seeing the quality of ice time needed to rack those points up as he might otherwise do. Pionk has effectively replaced him on PP1 with no sign of relinquishing that role anytime soon. This has basically neutered Shattenkirk's ability to make right by his contract value.

It's kind of funny that we thought DeAngelo might do this, but without forcing his way onto PP1 again, this is probably the new normal for Shattenkirk, which makes him utterly redundant.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're at the same 18.5% clip they were at in 15-16. Around the same rank, too.

And teams are scoring at a much higher rate on the PP this season. The powerplay is a huge issue. We dont have guys getting off good shots. Shattenkirk is known for forcing the unit to shift around, open lanes, and setting up teammates. Pionk has done a great job at generating PP points for himself, but when you have 1 player with more than 2 PPGs after 25 games, that's an issue.

8 teams are producing at 25% or higher with the man advantage. 2 teams are above 30%.

That's putting the 18.5% in perspective with the teams around the league.

Shatty will eventually get his shot on PP1 (even though Pionk and ADA are both better, I think).

But it doesn't matter. This team has exactly 1 shooter. Buch coming back and playing the dot opposite of Zib will make much more of a difference than whoever they throw at the point.

And teams are scoring at a much higher rate on the PP this season. The powerplay is a huge issue. We dont have guys getting off good shots. Shattenkirk is known for forcing the unit to shift around, open lanes, and setting up teammates. Pionk has done a great job at generating PP points for himself, but when you have 1 player with more than 2 PPGs after 25 games, that's an issue.

8 teams are producing at 25% or higher with the man advantage. 2 teams are above 30%.

That's putting the 18.5% in perspective with the teams around the league.

They don't have an elite player. Shattenkirk isn't it.

I know Shattenkirk was excited to come play in NY but it really hasn't been a fit since the beginning. Maybe he's a good locker room guy and his value resides in guiding the younger players. I can live with that, honestly. These next few seasons are a total crap shoot and he only has two seasons left after this one. I really don't think it's a problem.

His contract is one that can be moved if they really want to.

Shatty's contract isn't that bad at all, and if anything he serves as a pretty good role model for the younger guys right now. I doubt he has much trade value, so dealing him would most likely be a contract dump, but Shatty knows the game, especially the offensive side of it. I'm curious to see what goes down with him come the deadline.

Shatty's contract isn't that bad at all, and if anything he serves as a pretty good role model for the younger guys right now. I doubt he has much trade value, so dealing him would most likely be a contract dump, but Shatty knows the game, especially the offensive side of it. I'm curious to see what goes down with him come the deadline.

$6+ for a 3rd-pair defenseman is a bad contract, I'd argue it's the worst on the Rangers.

I like Shatty as a teammate too, but it's hard to pay that rate for that role, especially when you already have Staal doing that.

$6+ for a 3rd-pair defenseman is a bad contract, I'd argue it's the worst on the Rangers.

I like Shatty as a teammate too, but it's hard to pay that rate for that role, especially when you already have Staal doing that.

I thought Shatty was at $5.5 mil...my mistake Future. Thing is, what if anything could we possibly get for him? ...or is it just better to dish him and his deal off for a bag of pucks and call it a win?

he's actually at 6.650M per which is just terrible. Factor in he already failed as a late season pickup and his limited NTC and I fear we're stuck with a guy that has disappointed since he arrived. The good news he got to play for his favorite team, the bad news is it's ours.

I feel more comfortable with the man advantage with Shattenkirk out there than I do with Pionk. He seems a lot more calm with the puck and seems to be more elusive with it back on the point. Pionk is good at carrying it deep, but when he's on the point everything seems a bit rushed. I feel Shattenkirk can keep the puck in the zone better, and kinda opens up lanes when he has the puck back there.

I guess it's pick and choose. Pionk will let it rip once he has the puck. Great. Just seems like he's taking bad shots, while Shattenkirk can get better ones. I'd rather see DeAngelo on the left point with Shattenkirk on the right.

I thought Shatty was at $5.5 mil...my mistake Future. Thing is, what if anything could we possibly get for him? ...or is it just better to dish him and his deal off for a bag of pucks and call it a win?

Even at $5.5m, it's too high lol. That's basically what Staal makes.

I would trade him for anything I could get at this point, but I don't think there's a team in the league who is going to take on that contract. At the deadline, 50% retained, maybe you can get something for him. But the league knows that his only real value is on the PP....and he's not even doing that right now, so there'd be no market.

They are the same unit as last season, with the addition of Pionk, who is leading the team in PPP

Well right now they're missing Zucc and Buch.

But JT Miller and Rick Nash are big upgrades on Namestnikov, Howden, Vesey and whoever the fuck else they're throwing out there.

Even at $5.5m, it's too high lol. That's basically what Staal makes.

I would trade him for anything I could get at this point, but I don't think there's a team in the league who is going to take on that contract. At the deadline, 50% retained, maybe you can get something for him. But the league knows that his only real value is on the PP....and he's not even doing that right now, so there'd be no market.

Any chance he could grow 3 or 4 inches and be a little tougher in front of our net....

Nah I guess not!! ;)

Well right now they're missing Zucc and Buch.

But JT Miller and Rick Nash are big upgrades on Namestnikov, Howden, Vesey and whoever the fuck else they're throwing out there.

Miller didnt get that much PP time, Nash was mostly second unit, and according to Twitter, Buchnevich was always a healthy scratch.

And how many games has Zuccarello missed? 5?

I don't care what changes, but something needs to change with the PP right now. I'm going to start using that as time to take the dog out, again.

So here's something fun I stumbled over this morning on Twitter:

Kevin Shattenkirk is on pace for 27 points this season. In a vacuum? Brutal. But context matters.

Over the last ten seasons, he's scored just under 50% (48 and change) on the PP. Yet with the Rangers, he's been relegated to PP2 where he's just not seeing the quality of ice time needed to rack those points up as he might otherwise do. Pionk has effectively replaced him on PP1 with no sign of relinquishing that role anytime soon. This has basically neutered Shattenkirk's ability to make right by his contract value.

It's kind of funny that we thought DeAngelo might do this, but without forcing his way onto PP1 again, this is probably the new normal for Shattenkirk, which makes him utterly redundant.

Yet another overpaid, over rated underperformer signed by the NYR. OOOOOpppppsssss! I forgot. He gave the Rangers a " home-town discount ", whatever the hell that means. The guy is awful.

Offensively speaking Shattenkirk has been a ghost. When he does get chances they end up being some sort of bone-headed play more often than not. He?s not on the first PP unit because he hasn?t done anything to warrant that spot.

I wanna like the guy because there is a lot to like about him on paper but besides Smith (who I think should still be in the AHL), he?s my least favorite defender on this team at the moment.

And it sounds like I?m in the minority here- I know the numbers aren?t great for the PP but generally speaking it seems like they?re getting more chances than Ranger?s PPs usually do and it doesn?t look quite as stale as it has for the past few seasons. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived