Thread: Ilya Kovalchuk Not Long for Los Angeles?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Ilya Kovalchuk Not Long for Los Angeles?

He spent the third period stapled to the bench and finished with 6 minutes 20 seconds of playing time. Kovalchuk wasn’t subtle when asked about keeping a positive attitude while sitting on the bench.

“I don’t know how to be on the bench because it’s the first time in my career [that] I sit there for the third period,” he said. “But I’m that kind of guy, you know? I don’t care. We were winning, and that’s all that matters.”

The shrinking role of Kovalchuk, 35, has become a significant matter given the investment the Kings have in him: a three-year, $18.75-million contract they gave him in July. Kovalchuk has been banished to the fourth line and second power-play unit, and barely gets time on the latter.

In an email, general manager Rob Blake declined to comment on Kovalchuk, his primary free-agent addition. Kovalchuk’s reduction in playing time unfolds only 23 games into the season and maybe raises questions about his future with the Kings.
    Interim coach Willie Desjardins has talked about trying to get Kovalchuk going offensively, but that’s not possible if Kovalchuk isn’t on the ice. Asked about that predicament, Kovalchuk said, “I think you answered your question.”

Desjardins said after the Kings’ 5-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday that benching Kovalchuk had to do with matchups before he ended his answer by saying, “I just think other guys were going tonight.”
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/kings...medium=twitter
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Too much money for too many years at his age.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I've only watched a couple of Kings games this season, but so far it looks as if Gorton may have dodged a bullet with that one.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    It's just a bad situation. I think he'd thrive as a secondary option on a team that's winning. I wonder if he took the most money to go there or what the deal was.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Yeah. He's not a good fit for a team that looks like it'll have to knuckle down and fight tooth and nail for every single point.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    It's just a bad situation. I think he'd thrive as a secondary option on a team that's winning. I wonder if he took the most money to go there or what the deal was.
    Probably....LAK has to know that their window is closing, and this was a hail mary, so to speak, so they probably overpaid.

They were probably the only "good" team to tell him he'd have a role in the top 6.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    They were reportedly the only team willing to offer a third year.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Can he just pick up and go back to the KHL ? Isn't that he did with the Devils?
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Can he just pick up and go back to the KHL ? Isn't that he did with the Devils?
    KHL can't pay NHL money anymore, and especially not for his current age/performance

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Could be a decent fit somewhere else with LA retaining half. It will probably take that or something close to move him.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    WHEW !!!! Glad he didn't come here even at a 2 year contract.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    He is out 4 weeks after having a procedure on his ankle