• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kevin Hayes is More to Rangers Than a Potential Trade Chip

Phil

Hayes has been the Rangers’ best player (other than Henrik Lundqvist) since the start of last season. At 26, he has continued to elevate his game while also enriching his linemates. Unless you think you have no chance to compete within the next two or three seasons, it makes no sense to move Hayes for the traditional rental return of a bottom-end first-rounder and a prospect or two. Why trade Hayes, dominant on the puck with escalating pace and an emerging mid-age leader, for a player who might in three, four or five years become what No. 13 is right now?

I’m sorry. When you tell me that your team won’t be ready to win for five years, I hear nothing more than a self-fulfilling prophecy, at best, and a plea not to be held accountable, at worst. The Rangers, to be sure, have never said anything of the sort. There is no reason they should start now.

Gorton said Friday he has not begun even preliminary talks with Hayes’ agent, Bob Murray. According to the collective bargaining agreement, an extension cannot be signed until Jan. 1.

“We’ve got time,” Gorton said.

The GM should have a pretty good idea of what it will take to sign Hayes long term after having engaged Murray in summer negotiations that yielded this current one-year, $5.175 million agreement. Adam Henrique’s five-year extension with the Ducks, worth $5.825 million per, is a pretty good comparable, except Hayes is two years younger than the Anaheim center. Hayes would probably want six years, though if the Rangers upped the ante to somewhere around $6.2 million per, maybe he would take five. Six times six might be the magic equation.

I’m sorry. Unless there is an impasse or an impact 24-year-old winger or defenseman is coming back in exchange, I’m not trading my best player so maybe I have as good a player in four years, when who knows what the roster and league will look like?

I’m not kicking the can that far down the road because of Filip Chytil and Lias Andersson. I’m fine with Chytil developing on the wing. I’m fine with Andersson earning ice time, though the current setup under which he never plays meaningful minutes in tight games — 6:38 overall against the Caps on Saturday with one, 42-second shift over the final 12:32 — does not present an advantageous scenario.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/25/kevin-hayes-is-more-to-rangers-than-a-potential-trade-chip/

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Hayes, Zucc, Fast, Namestnikov, McQuaid, and maybe Georgiev and Skjei.

Chytil or Zib are their best centers. Kreider their best winger and the D just stinks. Get some young wingers and some D men that can play the right side.

Sell Hayes tomorrow. Sell high. Super high.

The more I think about it, the more I think the liquidation sale this year is going to be lackluster. Headlined perhaps by Zuccarello, I could see it looking look more like some of the yard sale-style "everything must go" affairs we saw from the Leafs in recent years. Basically, in addition to Zucc (maybe), they'll deal the expected: McQuaid for spares, Namestnikov for futures, and not much else.

I mean, he is only 26. If he keeps this up, selling high could be great, but what does that say to the locker room if KH is traded as he is flourishing under a new system?

How will Vesey/Skjei move on without their frat buddy? Can Howden take Hayes's matchups? How will Lias Andersson be playing later into the season?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I understand Larry has pages to fill, but this one seems a bit redundant.

Surely there are only two determining factors in whether moving Hayes or not is a good idea.

1. Can he be resigned at a reasonable price and

2. What's the market for him

We don't know the answer to either. Of course, trading Hayes for a late 1st and a mid level prospect if he can be signed on a reasonable deal sounds stupid. No shit.

Where it gets interesting is when they float him, which they would be idiots not to, and see what's out there for him. If someone are desperate for a center and are willing to give up a high end defensive prospect it might get interesting. If Hayes is looking to test his value in free agency and won't sign for anything less than what he thinks he can get there he might force Gortons hand.

I'm not sure why trading Hayes for a first and a prospect is stupid. We have 3 solid center ice players.

Zib

Chytil

Howden

Andersson for now

What's the problem with moving him for futures instead of over-paying for his "comfort years".

I said "provided he can be re-signed at a reasonable price". Which in my mind means a price which = we're not overpaying him. I also said if the price to keep him is to pay the going rate for him as an UFA it'll force Gorton's hand. I'm not sure I see the problem.

I guess the argument against trading him as a rental is that the likelihood of a late 1st/mid level prospect developing into something better than what Hayes is would be fairly slim. Again, like I said, if someone turns out to be willing to part with more than that I'm all for it.

Edit: Stupid is probably the wrong word, but a late 1st and a mid level prospect doesn't feel like good value.

Yes.

I don’t even care about draft picks. We have a history of overpaying middle tier players. The trend has to stop. If he puts up numbers of deserving, sure. But Hayes hasn’t. He should be around the same as Zibanejad, at most, and I still think that’s too much. Would rather save the money to spend on a game breaker

I'm not sure why trading Hayes for a first and a prospect is stupid. We have 3 solid center ice players.

Zib

Chytil

Howden

Andersson for now

What's the problem with moving him for futures instead of over-paying for his "comfort years".

Why is it overpaying if it's market value?

Keeping Hayes, permanently moving Chytil to the wing, and signing a UFA basically solves all of the organizational depth problems on the wing. I mean...

Kreider - Hayes - Chytil

Panarin/Stone - Zib - Buch

Vesey - Howden - Kravtsov

Is a legit top 9, the way Zib and Hayes are playing right now.

Trade him. He'll demand too much money and now is not the time for us to pay him.

I can't stop thinking about Carolina. Fox has said he won't sign there (if my memory serves me right) and they dont even "need" him. They got a D-core of Hamilton, Slavin, Faulk and De Haan, all under 27 years.

I'm not sure how much trade-value Fox has. He's lighting the NCAA on fire this year, but he has stated that he won't sign for Carolina, so they don't have much leverage in this.

Could even throw in Names or something. We REALLY need some right handed prospect (who can play defense).

I have always been a big Hayes fan but he is gonna want a big contract and he will get it from somebody. Can’t make the same mistake we have made in the past. I know some don’t like rebuilding but we should continue to gathers as many picks/prospects as possible. It’s already starting to reap the benefits of that with chytil,Howden,Andersson playing well. Also Kravtsov and Miller looking like they will be really good. Hayes is gonna bring you a really nice package.

Yes.

I don?t even care about draft picks. We have a history of overpaying middle tier players. The trend has to stop. If he puts up numbers of deserving, sure. But Hayes hasn?t. He should be around the same as Zibanejad, at most, and I still think that?s too much. Would rather save the money to spend on a game breaker

This. We need to pay for a game breaker.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Trade him. He'll demand too much money and now is not the time for us to pay him.

I can't stop thinking about Carolina. Fox has said he won't sign there (if my memory serves me right) and they dont even "need" him. They got a D-core of Hamilton, Slavin, Faulk and De Haan, all under 27 years.

I'm not sure how much trade-value Fox has. He's lighting the NCAA on fire this year, but he has stated that he won't sign for Carolina, so they don't have much leverage in this.

Could even throw in Names or something. We REALLY need some right handed prospect (who can play defense).

Just like Hayes and Vesey, Fox will be a UFA on 8/15/2020 after playing his senior season at Harvard next year.

Zib

Chytil

Howden

Andersson for now

I agree here, we have a lot of centers right now that are good, and I don't want to pay Hayes what he is going to command in UFA. Andersson can't play the 4th line the rest of his career.

Because we don't need him. Also because I don't believe an unmotivated Hayes will be worth his contract.

Agreed. We have a lot of young centers on entry level deals. And even though I like Hayes this is his contract year so I’m not surprised he is playing well. However I don’t trust he will keep it up after getting a huge deal. We are in a good position because we have depth at center and a big trade chip in Hayes to continue to build up the system

Because we don't need him. Also because I don't believe an unmotivated Hayes will be worth his contract.

Well, those are separate reasons. It's not actually overpayment given the numbers that have been proposed (the $6Mx6~ that Brooks wrote about). Really, your concern is over keeping a player who you view as a redundancy, whose work ethic you're questioning, no?

Well, those are separate reasons. It's not actually overpayment given the numbers that have been proposed (the $6Mx6~ that Brooks wrote about). Really, your concern is over keeping a player who you view as a redundancy, whose work ethic you're questioning, no?
Call it whatever you want, those numbers are not value for the Rangers, IMO.

Well, words matter. I'm not just going to call Kevin Hayes "a selfish player" because he's looking for a market value UFA contract when the real reason I don't want him is that I don't think the Rangers are going open a contention window close enough to the first half of his extension. I'd rather just call say that.

Yes.

I don’t even care about draft picks. We have a history of overpaying middle tier players. The trend has to stop. If he puts up numbers of deserving, sure. But Hayes hasn’t. He should be around the same as Zibanejad, at most, and I still think that’s too much. Would rather save the money to spend on a game breaker

My feelings exactly. This whole step back and re stock will only be worth it if the end game is to obtain a game breaker. Otherwise this team will be no better than the ones under the AV regime which will win a lot of games but ultimately end up coming short of the canyon parade.

if you can move him for a high end defenseman, or a no 1. and strong prospect, i'm all in.

panarin, stone, and potentially matthews not wanting to play for babcock are all things that intrigue me to that end.

what is the story with the fox kid in carolina? is this another vesey/hayes situation?

Archived