• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eye-Opening Attendance Figures at MSG

Sod16

Don't look now, but the Rangers attendance figures are the weakest they have been in many years. I know from buying and selling over many years that games immediately around Thanksgiving are traditionally high demand games with out of town fans and students coming home. They did not sell out a game against the Islanders (a red flag in of itself) the day before Thanksgiving and were well short for a Saturday matinee (always popular) against the defending champs. They are offering all manner of packages and an unheard of 20% off Black Friday deal. The reasons: (1) rebuild; (2) poor treatment of season holders when times were still good circa 2016-17 (they used to treat them well good times and bad); and (3) ridiculous micro premium pricing of seats that aren't all that great. All told, demand is at its lowest I think since 1991 (the year when they had their annual playoff lottery and no one came) and there was a really severe local recession. In short, I think the Rangers have overplayed their hand.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After ass fucking me ive promised never to go back to msg.

Also received a phone call from a rangers sales rep offering me great deals for tickets. I never heard what those deals were because I ended the conversation because I have zero interest.

Poor treatment of season ticket holders is a gross understatement. Always amazed me by how little they thought of their customers. Would be great if this thread was true.

Rangers rank 19th in league for attendance at a little over 17000 per game. They are actually 21st in % of Seats sold at 95%

So yes the numbers are down and there seems to be on average about 1000 seats unsold each game. While these numbers are far from them having financial difficulty, it does paint quotes picture. Prior years going back to 1992 are pretty much 100% sold. They had a waiting list to purchase season tickets. Now they are not selling out.

It was basic economics for me. The resale market is gone, no longer can you get anything close to face value for games you can’t attend. The average price for seat in the last row of the building at center ice is $122 and that was the discounted season rate. Four to five years ago that seat cost $51.

So why bother renewing?

I havent experienced this lack of ticket demand my 16 years as a ticket holder.

Also, typically if I let my seats go someone else will snatch them. I like the view of my seats, only thing I do not like is that im in the middle of the row. They leave the better seats that come available for mini-plan holders bc they charge more for mini-plan holders than season tix holders.

Also, as far as the secondary market, there isnt that big of a demand from local fans. IMO I think there are a lot of tickets bought by tourists (foreign) that come to the box office so MSG is making a killing from day of game box office sales.

According to ESPN, the Rangers are 19th in average home attendance (17,197), 21st in home attendance percentage (95.5), 16th in overall attendance (17,353), and 16th in overall attendance percentage (95.5).

Not seeing anything "eye-opening" here, given they are an announced (and pronounced) rebuilding team.

According to ESPN, the Rangers are 19th in average home attendance (17,197), 21st in home attendance percentage (95.5), 16th in overall attendance (17,353), and 16th in overall attendance percentage (95.5).

Not seeing anything "eye-opening" here, given they are an announced (and pronounced) rebuilding team.

Pretty bad for one of the biggest cities, and an original 6 team. Anything outside top 10 should be deemed unacceptable

IMO if they didnt go by tickets sold, it would be about 2000+ less attendance.

You know when Rangers are struggling to sell tixs is when as stated before Thanksgiving Eve vs the Islanders BUT also the Rangers were on a big home winning streak and 8-1-1 in the last 10. Fans havent bought into the team. You would have thought on a streak like that vs their biggest rival, night before Thanksgiving, college students home to visit family/kids off of school the next day, that it should have been an easy sell.

Rangers priced out the average fan.

IMO I think there are a lot of tickets bought by tourists (foreign) that come to the box office so MSG is making a killing from day of game box office sales.

We were at the CAPs game in Section 222 mid-row on the glass just above the handicap area. My 5 game mini-plan tix for this game were $259/ea. The couple next to us from Germany visiting NYC for a week paid $700 for their pair from MSG. YIKES! I thought I was nuts but we wanted to see the CAPs play us at home.

IDK - I might wait out the mini-plan next year and just look for deals. I checked the Ticketmaster re-sale prices for my section the night before that game and could have had 2 tix at $149/ea -- saving me $200 for more food at the Oyster Bar on the way home.

We were at the CAPs game in Section 222 mid-row on the glass just above the handicap area. My 5 game mini-plan tix for this game were $259/ea. The couple next to us from Germany visiting NYC for a week paid $700 for their pair from MSG. YIKES! I thought I was nuts but we wanted to see the CAPs play us at home.

IDK - I might wait out the mini-plan next year and just look for deals. I checked the Ticketmaster re-sale prices for my section the night before that game and could have had 2 tix at $149/ea -- saving me $200 for more food at the Oyster Bar on the way home.

My tixs vs Caps were $159 ea...Upper Corner (between faceoff circle/goal line), Row 16. Through Ticketmaster for the seats right next to mine were $280 ea. w/ fees (face value). I was lucky enough to get $350 for the pair from a co-worker.

They had players people wanted to see.

Theo doing the chicken dance, McCarthy making muscles, Clouthier fighting everyone, Lindros not remembering anything...

Plus the price for me was $21 per seat in those days. The arena changed but now that same seat is now $122 per seat. Pretty simple to see what’s going on.

Also the rangers sold out every seat from 1992-last season. The empty seats is only about pricing, nothing else. I would still be buying happily if I didn’t need a second job. This is only going to get worse for them unless ticket prices fall

On a side not the rangers spent $100m on players in 2000. Ticket price $20. Today spent $75m or so same ticket $122. Since the cap revenue sharing was introduced meaning the ranger fan is subsidizing tampa, Pittsburgh etc. they have the best talent in the world we have Kevin Hayes. Nhl doesn’t consider state and city tax either. The nhl has basically made nyc a small market by spending but one of the biggest by revenue. The rangers should be outraged and demand that their fans not be screwed. Instead they stay quiet because the profits are better. At the very least state and city taxes should be included in the cap. There is no excuse for tampa having an advantage all the while we subsidize them.

Archived