Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye-Opening Attendance Figures at MSG

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar

Eye-Opening Attendance Figures at MSG

Don't look now, but the Rangers attendance figures are the weakest they have been in many years. I know from buying and selling over many years that games immediately around Thanksgiving are traditionally high demand games with out of town fans and students coming home. They did not sell out a game against the Islanders (a red flag in of itself) the day before Thanksgiving and were well short for a Saturday matinee (always popular) against the defending champs. They are offering all manner of packages and an unheard of 20% off Black Friday deal. The reasons: (1) rebuild; (2) poor treatment of season holders when times were still good circa 2016-17 (they used to treat them well good times and bad); and (3) ridiculous micro premium pricing of seats that aren't all that great. All told, demand is at its lowest I think since 1991 (the year when they had their annual playoff lottery and no one came) and there was a really severe local recession. In short, I think the Rangers have overplayed their hand.

Senior Member Midget Division
    "Eye-opening attendance figures" and there is no figures here??
    Last edited by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc; 11-26-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Yea, give some numbers
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    After ass fucking me ive promised never to go back to msg.

Also received a phone call from a rangers sales rep offering me great deals for tickets. I never heard what those deals were because I ended the conversation because I have zero interest.

Poor treatment of season ticket holders is a gross understatement. Always amazed me by how little they thought of their customers. Would be great if this thread was true.

Rangers rank 19th in league for attendance at a little over 17000 per game. They are actually 21st in % of Seats sold at 95%

So yes the numbers are down and there seems to be on average about 1000 seats unsold each game. While these numbers are far from them having financial difficulty, it does paint quotes picture. Prior years going back to 1992 are pretty much 100% sold. They had a waiting list to purchase season tickets. Now they are not selling out.

It was basic economics for me. The resale market is gone, no longer can you get anything close to face value for games you can’t attend. The average price for seat in the last row of the building at center ice is $122 and that was the discounted season rate. Four to five years ago that seat cost $51.
    Last edited by Fatfrancesa; 11-26-2018 at 09:01 AM.

I gave up my seats a few years ago because of the price tag.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I was wondering why I saw so many commercials for discounted seats.

Price and lack of star power.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Whoever is head of sales there should be fired for thinking this is Toronto

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Where are these numbers coming from? Need a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Took a $20 loss for 1 tix against the Isles. Ate the MTL/Vancouver game. Had to go to the Dallas game bc of no buyers.
    Lucky for me I sold most of the 1st half in July.

So why bother renewing?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    So why bother renewing?
    I havent experienced this lack of ticket demand my 16 years as a ticket holder.
    Also, typically if I let my seats go someone else will snatch them. I like the view of my seats, only thing I do not like is that im in the middle of the row. They leave the better seats that come available for mini-plan holders bc they charge more for mini-plan holders than season tix holders.
    Also, as far as the secondary market, there isnt that big of a demand from local fans. IMO I think there are a lot of tickets bought by tourists (foreign) that come to the box office so MSG is making a killing from day of game box office sales.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    According to ESPN, the Rangers are 19th in average home attendance (17,197), 21st in home attendance percentage (95.5), 16th in overall attendance (17,353), and 16th in overall attendance percentage (95.5).

Not seeing anything "eye-opening" here, given they are an announced (and pronounced) rebuilding team.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    They sold out all through the dark ages.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    According to ESPN, the Rangers are 19th in average home attendance (17,197), 21st in home attendance percentage (95.5), 16th in overall attendance (17,353), and 16th in overall attendance percentage (95.5).

Not seeing anything "eye-opening" here, given they are an announced (and pronounced) rebuilding team.
    Pretty bad for one of the biggest cities, and an original 6 team. Anything outside top 10 should be deemed unacceptable
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

IMO if they didnt go by tickets sold, it would be about 2000+ less attendance.
    You know when Rangers are struggling to sell tixs is when as stated before Thanksgiving Eve vs the Islanders BUT also the Rangers were on a big home winning streak and 8-1-1 in the last 10. Fans havent bought into the team. You would have thought on a streak like that vs their biggest rival, night before Thanksgiving, college students home to visit family/kids off of school the next day, that it should have been an easy sell.
    Rangers priced out the average fan.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Pretty bad for one of the biggest cities, and an original 6 team. Anything outside top 10 should be deemed unacceptable
    Problem with that statement is that NYC has a lot more to offer for entertainment, and hockey is low on the totem pole as far as entertainment in NYC.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I considered making a trip to NYC to see them in December. I chose not to because of the cost of tickets. I will settle for seeing them on the road when they come through town.

Im going to Florida next week, going to see them vs Florida, $58, sitting in the club section....Same seats at MSG probably $150-$200. And the Panthers rep told me that they do dynamic pricing too and the Rangers game is one of their highest tiered tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    IMO I think there are a lot of tickets bought by tourists (foreign) that come to the box office so MSG is making a killing from day of game box office sales.
    We were at the CAPs game in Section 222 mid-row on the glass just above the handicap area. My 5 game mini-plan tix for this game were $259/ea. The couple next to us from Germany visiting NYC for a week paid $700 for their pair from MSG. YIKES! I thought I was nuts but we wanted to see the CAPs play us at home.

IDK - I might wait out the mini-plan next year and just look for deals. I checked the Ticketmaster re-sale prices for my section the night before that game and could have had 2 tix at $149/ea -- saving me $200 for more food at the Oyster Bar on the way home.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast