• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tank?

skunkman

I'm having a lot of fun watching them TBH. There are no expectations of this team and they're just building a rapport, figuring out their new coach, and having a lot of fun right now. There's a work ethic and a general excitement that's been missing for quite some time. We're a little more than a quarter of the way in to the season right now. If at the halfway mark we're still floating around near the top of the division, there's no reason to not go for it. Don't trade for any aging veterans, of course, because that would be a huge step backward and is what got us in to trouble in the first place. But don't go full firesale either. There's a serious debate to be had about which is more beneficial to the team: the experience of making the playoffs and building a winning mentality for guys like Lias, Howden, Chytil, Pionk, Vesey, etc., or drafting in the top 10. I think it's pretty clear by this point that we're not going to get a top 5 pick without winning the draft lottery.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Skunk! Long time no see brother!

I'm having a lot of fun watching them TBH. There are no expectations of this team and they're just building a rapport, figuring out their new coach, and having a lot of fun right now. There's a work ethic and a general excitement that's been missing for quite some time. We're a little more than a quarter of the way in to the season right now. If at the halfway mark we're still floating around near the top of the division, there's no reason to not go for it. Don't trade for any aging veterans, of course, because that would be a huge step backward and is what got us in to trouble in the first place. But don't go full firesale either. There's a serious debate to be had about which is more beneficial to the team: the experience of making the playoffs and building a winning mentality for guys like Lias, Howden, Chytil, Pionk, Vesey, etc., or drafting in the top 10. I think it's pretty clear by this point that we're not going to get a top 5 pick without winning the draft lottery.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Skunk! Long time no see brother!

Agree with all of that, apart from a top 5 pick being gone. We're only 9 points ahead of St Louis in 30th place, having played 2 more and with 60 games to go. We're only 6 points ahead of the Yotes who are 5th from last. The league is so tight at the moment that there is ample time to drop down significantly.

I definitely agree there is a certain value in a young team getting a taste of being on a winning team and experiencing playoff hockey that shouldn't be underestimated.

Like I've said before, if they keep this up there'll be a time in the not too distant future where we have to recalibrate our expectations for the season. But we're not quite there yet imo.

I?m really enjoying the development of our ?options? this year. Agree with everyone above that the season has been fun. Half-way point is right. If we are actually contending for PO position, then let?s do it continuing the ride on the backs of young guys v. aging $tar$ at a high price.

We all understand that to geteth you must giveth and my concern is upsetting our developing chemistry too much at the trade deadline.

Archived