• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Rangers Should Re-Think Trading Chris Kreider

Phil

In fact, even with another year left on his contract that pays him a very manageable $4.625 million against the cap, these new-look Rangers would be far better served by keeping Kreider. Few players have embraced David Quinn?s philosophical mantra as well as Kreider has, and even fewer to the same practical effect.

Kreider?s game has also advanced off the ice, where he was officially named to the Rangers? leadership group this season. Assuming an extension to remain a Ranger can be negotiated, would anyone be surprised to learn his name was on the short-list of candidates to be named team captain at some point this season or next?

Of course, at the age of 27, there?s inherent risk in keeping a forward who is currently playing at his peak; especially one who may not have the same statistical impact over the life of his new deal. But Kreider has shown remarkable chemistry playing alongside Mika Zibanejad ? the only Rangers? forward signed beyond the 2021-22 season. This particular fact makes the idea of keeping the dynamic duo together to lead the veteran charge on this rebuild especially promising.

Depending on how amenable Kreider is to a shorter-term extension, Gorton may be facing an uphill battle. But if he can convince Kreider to take fewer years in exchange for a more favorable annual average value (AAV), he?ll have effectively side-stepped the most dangerous aspect of locking up his team?s most productive goal scorer by mitigating the biggest risk ? years.

It?s not as though there?s a lack of precedent for players doing this in recent seasons, either. Just this past summer, the Philadelphia Flyers were able to sign James van Riemsdyk, 29, to a five-year ticket with a $7 million AAV and the Calgary Flames agreed to the same term length with 31-year-old James Neal, who?s AAV came in at $5.75 million.

Kreider?s would-be extension wouldn?t kick in until the age of 29, so limiting his term to five years or fewer should be an absolute requirement on any extension talks. The idea of locking him in at say $7 million per season and expecting top-line production out of him at 33- or 34-years old isn?t realistic, but on a four- or five-year ticket, the risk can be mitigated to near-zero with only the final season or two of his deal to worry over.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/11/20/18102250/why-new-york-rangers-should-re-think-trading-chris-kreider

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like with any player, it's cost. I've got no interest in a $7x8 deal for Kreider.

For the impact he has on the scoresheet, he has less of that between the whistles (also went pointless last night). This hot streak doesn't mean another since it's usually followed by a frozen streak. It's kind of maddening inconsistency that keeps me nervous about a big ticket for him.

What he has going for him is the lack of organizational depth we have on LW unless Chytil moves there (I like him on the right, myself). Signing Panarin gives you a nice left side but not sure I want to spend close to $20 million there over next 7 years.

I don't want to actively shop Krieder (today) but I don't want to give him JVR money, either.

7.5x4 or 6.8x5 something like that would be palatable.

I'd like him back, but I agree with Pete, if he wants to maximize his earnings it's going to be in some shithole Canadian city or a non hockey market in the US. If he wants that then what can you do?

There's no rush, he can be dealt this summer, I'm sure there plenty of due diligence going on right now from Gorton end.

I'm on board with keeping Kreider, but the time to trade him was either this offseason or next year at the deadline. It's a bad message to the team to trade your best player right now, and if they end up even sniffing the playoffs this year, they'll certainly be in on Panarin in the offseason. It doesn't make sense to add Panarin and move Kreider if you're looking to contend.

7.5x4 or 6.8x5 something like that would be palatable.

I'd like him back, but I agree with Pete, if he wants to maximize his earnings it's going to be in some shithole Canadian city or a non hockey market in the US. If he wants that then what can you do?

There's no rush, he can be dealt this summer, I'm sure there plenty of due diligence going on right now from Gorton end.

Yeah, I mean, I'd imagine EDM would throw a bag at him. So it's up to him. Does he want to spearhead the charge for the new-look Rangers, or does he want max dollars? I can't really fault him if it's the latter, but it shouldn't be here.

I'd really put a hard cap at five years here. I'm more than fine compensating in higher AAV. $7.5M is perfectly fine. Especially if he even flirts with 40 goals.

Yeah, I mean, I'd imagine EDM would throw a bag at him. So it's up to him. Does he want to spearhead the charge for the new-look Rangers, or does he want max dollars? I can't really fault him if it's the latter, but it shouldn't be here.

I'd really put a hard cap at five years here. I'm more than fine compensating in higher AAV. $7.5M is perfectly fine. Especially if he even flirts with 40 goals.

Part of me thinks that this would really appeal to a guy like Kreider. I'm just guessing, but he seems like the type who would like to build, so to speak.

He seems to really enjoy working with and talking to the younger guys, Buch/Chytil, and they respond to him, so I wonder if he just wants to be in that kind of role. He's just such a heady guy that I think, if the money is close, he'd choose a role.

I'd actually think this through differently from one singular perspective.

My desire to commit to Chris Kreider caps out at around $40M, assuming he wants some semblance of longer term (6+ years). How he wants that money set up...eh, not really important to me, simply because he'll trade term for dollars and it won't be crippling to get Kreider on a $5.5m-ish cap hit when he's 34-35. He wants 8 years, 40m. Sure. That's OK. He wants the Neal/JVR deal? That's fine too.

He wants 6 years, 45m? Nope. I'm out.

One final thought. If we do give him the big deal, we can always slap a C on his chest and then trade him to Tampa.

Kreider appears to be different player this year - shows up just about every game and skates every shift like he means it. Is this the NEW and much improved CK? Time will tell and as we get closer to decision day, Gorton will have a clearer picture about what to do. In this near-term short sample, I'm for keeping him. Slack off again and adios!

I could live either with him or without him, Phil; I said before in some post, I forget which one, that I'd be all for trading him if we could make a good score on the return. What exactly a good score is; I would say possibly a #1 or at least some valuable young players that would fit our roster needs going forward for the foreseeable future.

...and if we were to keep him, I suppose that's ok too, but yeah...the TERM is important. I wouldn't go past 5 years either. I think you guys are right...anything around 6.8 mil and 7.5 million should do the trick to keep it at 5 years...but 6 or more I think is flirting with disaster.

For some reason I just don't trust him to stay healthy, and when the playoffs roll around, is he going to show up?? He's got I think 15 points in 36 playoff games from 2015 forward. Not exactly a 7.5 million dollar player to me, but who knows what he can do under Quinn.

Maybe Josh is right and weigh it out over another year....just to see what he can do under a better coach.

Like with any player, it's cost. I've got no interest in a $7x8 deal for Kreider.
Do we know what the NHL salary cap will look like in 2-3 years ? It's possible you could have a couple of $5 MM bumps annually. The Canadian dollar is stronger. A deal for that kind of money which you think is expensive NOW could turn out to be cheap in 3 years.

Certainly alot cheaper than Brady Skeij's deal !!! :D

For the impact he has on the scoresheet, he has less of that between the whistles (also went pointless last night). This hot streak doesn't mean another since it's usually followed by a frozen streak. It's kind of maddening inconsistency that keeps me nervous about a big ticket for him.
I think he's a solid 2nd-Liner or Inconsistent 1st-Liner. So, how cheap can you get someone who's that ?

What he has going for him is the lack of organizational depth we have on LW unless Chytil moves there (I like him on the right, myself). Signing Panarin gives you a nice left side but not sure I want to spend close to $20 million there over next 7 years.
Panarin is signing for $3 MM per year ????

I don't want to actively shop Krieder (today) but I don't want to give him JVR money, either.
JVR ?

Do we know what the NHL salary cap will look like in 2-3 years ? It's possible you could have a couple of $5 MM bumps annually. The Canadian dollar is stronger. A deal for that kind of money which you think is expensive NOW could turn out to be cheap in 3 years.

Certainly alot cheaper than Brady Skeij's deal !!! :D

There's going to be a work stoppage. Doubtful that cap rises coming out of it.

I think he's a solid 2nd-Liner or Inconsistent 1st-Liner. So, how cheap can you get someone who's that ?
6-7 million, but I'd rather pay a 22 year old than a 29 year old for the 8 years.

Panarin is signing for $3 MM per year ????
Huh?

VR ?
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/james-van-riemsdyk

Archived