• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are the Rangers Overachieving This Season?

Stephen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe they are underachieving.

We’ve seen Kreider, Hayes, Zucc and Zibanejad play half the season.

Howden and Pionk have over achieved, offensively, with fans having differing views of their defensive play.

Underachieving we have Chytil (other than 4 games), Andersson, Vesey, Fast, McLeod has zero points, Letteiri- bye, Buchnevich still inconsistent, Spooner had 2 points, Namestnikov has 2 goals from crashing into the goalie. All should be more consistent and more effective.

Defensively, don’t tell me Shattenkirk, Smith, Skjei or Staal are close to overachieving.

Deangelo has been ok but inconsistent, same as Claesson.

Georgiev has been amateur.

Henrik has been up and down.

I never thought they were gonna be as bad as some said. I didn’t think they were a playoff team but I thought they could win some games. I didn’t expect Howden to play this well and as well as pionk and chytil. It will be interesting as the d Arline approaches where they sit because they have attractive assets to other teams or if they can continue to surprise with wins

As a team, not individually, they're obviously over achieving. They're currently 2 games over .500 and in a playoff position.

That's an improved position over every prognostication available before the start of the season. Any arguments against this are on the margins, all that matters is results.

This is all likely to change in next month or two, but I don't know how you can argue against the motion at this point in time.

I think people need to remember that half the league gets into the playoffs.

There are some pretty bad teams that get in. There are some good teams who struggle and sneak in. We're the former.

Being in "playoff position" doesn't make you good. We'll be lucky if Gorton remembers this.

I didn't say we're "good". The question was are they overachieving. Obviously, yes, they are.
Yeah but you mentioned that they were in playoff position which doesn't really mean anything considering the shape of the Metro right now.

I don't see what playoff position has to do with it. A lot of bad teams make the playoffs. This team should stick with their long-term plan. Finding themselves in a fortunate position due to other teams being unexpectedly terrible should not have them alter their thinking.

If Pittsburgh and Washington were playing the way they should be playing the East would look different. Are the Islanders in first place? Does anyone think that team is good?

Yeah but you mentioned that they were in playoff position which doesn't really mean anything considering the shape of the Metro right now.

I don't see what playoff position has to do with it. A lot of bad teams make the playoffs. This team should stick with their long-term plan. Finding themselves in a fortunate position due to other teams being unexpectedly terrible should not have them alter their thinking.

If Pittsburgh and Washington were playing the way they should be playing the East would look different. Are the Islanders in first place? Does anyone think that team is good?

For christ sakes man, that illustrates over achievement to this point. They were expected to be a lottery team, perhaps even THE lottery team. To this point, that hasn't even been close to reality.

The question is: Are the Rangers Overachieving?

Not: Are the Rangers a Good Hockey Club?

For christ sakes man, that illustrates over achievement to this point. They were expected to be a lottery team, perhaps even THE lottery team. To this point, that hasn't even been close to reality.

The question is: Are the Rangers Overachieving?

Not: Are the Rangers a Good Hockey Club?

Go back and read the OP, not just the thread title.

I think making the playoffs is considered good [enough].

like you say, ?no nhl player sucks?. Well, in that same sense... no playoff team sucks

No, not for this team. Making the playoffs isn't good enough. It messes up the long-term plan. Every team has different goals to start the season, for some it's winning the cup, for some it's making the playoffs, for others it's just developing the team. We're just developing the team. Anything else is false hope.

Young guys losing in the playoffs is better than young guys just missing the playoffs

Besides, people like you will complain about the draft pick we take at 4 or 28

What I complain about has nothing to do with it. Try to stay on the topic for a change.

I don't say anything about you loving them taking Swede-ahan at #7.

You ALWAYS say something about it.

And if you are mentioning NOT making the playoffs to ?help? the team, what else are you referring to other than a higher draft pick???

I can't believe I have to explain.

Drafting 3rd is better than drafting 23rd.

Who they pick at 3 is another debate to be had.

You're not even trying to make a point. You're just yapping.

Don’t see how there is any argument to this team not overachieving at this point. Almost 1/4 of the season done and this team is not buried in fact it sits in a playoff spot. Most including myself thought this team would be a low to mid 70 point team. This is not a good team yet through hard work and buying into a team concept they are not a easy night for any team.

Sample size is too small. The rest of the East is basically in the same boat as the Rangers app this point. It?s almost impossible to suck (way worse) than other conference teams this early in the season with all the 3 point games awarded.

Check back after game 50 I?d say.

With that said, I?m very happy with the way Quinn is running (holding them accountable, etc.) the team and that alone gives me much hope for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They were only a couple of points out of the playoff spots when they traded Nash, McD, Miller, Holden and Grabner. I'm going to choose to believe they'll stay on course.

As for the question, yes they're clearly over achieving points wise. I still don't think this is sustainable so it'll be interesting to see where they are when we get closer to the turn of the year.

Definitely overachieving. But is this the year Pittsburgh disappears from the playoff picture (like Chicago did)? If Pittsburgh disappears and Washington has a Cup hangover than the Metro is a whole bunch of average teams. Who is the team to beat? Who is definitely not a playoff team?

I think an element here is that several teams, if not most of the league, have been a lot worse than expected so far. If what we've seen so far is indicative of how the season pans out then everyone is a potential playoff team. The only team that looks in real trouble is LA, and even they are only 11 points out with 63 games to play.

Archived