• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire F Ryan Strome from EDM in Exchange For F Ryan Spooner

Phil

I mean, Strome is an expensive fourth-line player today. But he has upside. Reminds me a bit of what they did with Pouliot (for a fraction of the price) years ago. If he can find a groove, they'll come out of this like gangbusters. For now, it's a small measure.

I mean, Strome is an expensive fourth-line player today. But he has upside. Reminds me a bit of what they did with Pouliot (for a fraction of the price) years ago. If he can find a groove, they'll come out of this like gangbusters. For now, it's a small measure.

More like Zibanejad

Strome? No, he isn't. $3.1M AAV this season and next. It's not damaging, by any means, but he's not "cheap" either. He's paid about what a tweener third/fourth-liner gets.

Didn?t mean cheap, sorry. I ment cheaper, but I?ve read rangers retains around 900k, so I guess we lost cap-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Spooner sucks. Strome sucks. Case closed. Seems like each team is hoping for lightning in a bottle.

Spooner sucks a little more, though. Like, objectively. Especially in underlying numbers where he was an absolute anchor.

He ranked dead last among Rangers' forwards this season in CF% (39.3) and FF% (37.9). Take what you will of shot metrics, but to be below 40% is really, really, really bad. I mean, Cody McLeod, who is universally condemned for being a shit hockey player, and who is probably getting put into street clothes thanks to this trade, had better metrics in both categories relative to Spooner. That's saying something.

Weird deal IMO. I like it in the sense that Strome is probably....marginally...the better player, but I just don't know what this does for us besides shed some salary

Moves an older, objectively worse player for a younger, objectively better one (marginally) who has a dash more upside.

Archived