Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Rutherford Blasts Penguins' Poor Start, Threatens Changes

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Jim Rutherford Blasts Penguins' Poor Start, Threatens Changes

The Penguins general manager — never known for holding back much in interviews — blasted his team on his bi-weekly radio show Wednesday with Josh Getzoff of the Penguins Radio Network on 105.9 FM.

Rutherford also threatened changes if things didn’t improve.

“What I’m seeing I don’t like,” Rutherford said. “Nobody likes it. We’re trying to figure out what’s gone wrong here.

“I’d like to say we have an answer for it. We don’t right now. We’re watching it really close.

“Certainly if this continues, in short order, we’re going to have to make some changes.”
    “Actions are louder than words,” Rutherford said. “This will be the first move of a few if we don’t get it going.”

One of the things that’s bothering Rutherford is the effort he feels his team is giving. Or, in this case, not giving.

“We’re not playing with any energy or determination,” Rutherford said. “We’re just trying to get through the games. These other teams are coming and outworking us. They deserve to beat us. In some of these games, they probably deserve to beat us worse than the score indicates.

“It’s just getting back to basics and guys getting back to work — come to the rink ready to work and determined to win. I haven’t seen it since we got back from Canada. It’s very concerning.”
    “It’s almost like the guys come to the games and say, ‘Let’s just let the top guys do it.’ Let’s let Sid, Geno, Phil and Letang carry us,” Rutherford said. “We’ll just get through the game and move on to the next game, forget about the work ethic it takes or forget about the role they play.

“But when those guys [meaning the Big Four] can’t get it done, whether they’re shut down or they’re not having a good game, that’s when we need those other guys to come in and contribute and help win games. We’re not getting it.”
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201811070174
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Hayes for Hagelin and Hallander

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I'll happily take Daniel Sprong.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'll happily take Daniel Sprong.
    Rutherford is considering a trade involving Sprong. Might as well get him now

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    #WhatRebuild

Let's go Rangers! Let's go Giants! Make some noise this football and hockey season!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Spooner and McQuaid for Sprong (We'll retain 50% on both)

says fair trade since it's the Pens and Sprong won't be that valuable to them this year.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-09-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Moderator Junior Division
    lol, they're fine. This is not a team that gives a shit about October.

Banned Midget Division
    Trade Cindy!!

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Trade Cindy!!
    For Staal straight up
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Banned Midget Division
    for lundqvist

Pens held Sprong out of lineup, supposedly looking to trade him according to NHL network.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Vesey for Sprong. I suspect this is as high a value as Vesey will get here. He'd probably score 30 with Crosby.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Vesey for Sprong. I suspect this is as high a value as Vesey will get here. He'd probably score 30 with Crosby.
    Well he's on pace for 29 right now, is playing great under the new coach, and is showing good chemistry with Howden. So how about we keep him.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Well he's on pace for 29 right now, is playing great under the new coach, and is showing good chemistry with Howden. So how about we keep him.

Nah. He's not part of the real future and is likely going to be an overpaid 3rd liner.

He's good, just not for us. Get value in assets.

They're not going to give us Sprong for Vesey though, are they.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    They're not going to give us Sprong for Vesey though, are they.
    Makes sense for both teams honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Gotta side with king, no reason to move him. If he keeps this up he will have more value in a couple of months. If Sprong was a sure thing, yeah. But there are some questions. He's worth a risk, but this would be a tough call. The scouts would have to sell me with enthusiasm.

A 1-for-1 Vesey for Sprong trade is a huge win for the Penguins, no way the Rangers do that.

I think someone would offer a shinier new toy than Vesey if Sprong was put on the market, but I could be wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I think someone would offer a shinier new toy than Vesey if Sprong was put on the market, but I could be wrong here.
    What trade value do you actually think Sprong has? The guy has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level and can't earn ice time on a team that has like 4 legitimate top-9 wingers. His value is lower than what Domi's was when he got traded.

The only way Pitt gets a better return than a player like Vesey is a reclamation or another unproven player who might be a better fit (Werek for Lindberg).

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Ethan Werek now tearing it up in Czech League.

I have a cousin played in his division in the 'O' I was all excited for a scouting report after we drafted him response I got was essentially "Look for him at a SPHL franchise near you"

lol.. Bang on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast