Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Malkin Gets Major After Elbowing T.J. Oshie in the Face

  1. #21
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    16

  2. #22
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,714
    Rep Power
    137
    Shouldn't have been a penalty either

    The NHL view of the hit, a source told ESPN, is that Malkin was bracing for impact from the approaching Oshie, a smaller player than the Penguins center. He doesn't get an elbow or stick up, just a shoulder, in order to steady himself for a collision after he released the puck.
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  3. #23
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    way to ignore the entire rest of the post

    and yea, it does matter. If you go to hit some one, and lead with your face, what do you expect to happen?
    What TJ Oshie did doesn't matter, b/c it's separate from Malkin raising his elbow. If a guy goes at you in the corner, you can't just put your elbow up to defend yourself.

    The Sundqvist argument is bunk, because if he didn't have his head down, the principle point of contact wouldn't be the head. Players are responsible to not hit others in the head, it doesn't matter what the other guy is doing, that's the precedent that the league has set.

  4. #24
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    He did raise his shoulder (bracing for the collision), not his elbow. His elbow moving is a product of his skating momentum going forward and bracing for the hit that's coming from the right.
    No it's not. League got it wrong.

    I've done this exact thing 500 times, and I guarantee that an athlete of Malkin's quality knew exactly what he was doing.

  5. #25
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,732
    Rep Power
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    What TJ Oshie did doesn't matter, b/c it's separate from Malkin raising his elbow. If a guy goes at you in the corner, you can't just put your elbow up to defend yourself.

    The Sundqvist argument is bunk, because if he didn't have his head down, the principle point of contact wouldn't be the head. Players are responsible to not hit others in the head, it doesn't matter what the other guy is doing, that's the precedent that the league has set.
    Eh, the elbow wasn't really what got engaged there, it was upper arm. I definitely see it as Oshie being low and Malkin bracing for impact.

    That is not a vicious elbow. It's not Mat Cooke territory.

  6. #26
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    We've talked about how Wilson could have turned away from Sundqvist instead of skating through him. If Malkin was "afraid" of the contact, he could have just turned left. This is not bracing for a hit, it is delivering it. It's the same thing that JT Miller did to EK65. Puck gone, lean in, raise shoulder.



    I don't think the Malkin hit is particularly malicious, relative to other elbows, but he initiated the contact and got the guy in the head. If we're saying that Oshie's head location is the problem, then the NHL has to re-evaluate how they determine these hits, because that's almost always a problem.
    Last edited by Future; 11-08-2018 at 04:21 PM.

  7. #27
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,732
    Rep Power
    490
    Malkin isn't the hitter, Oshie is. Apples to oranges.

    Oshie is skating into Malkin, Malkin is already there. Malkin is bracing himself, not initiating contact.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76



    This is what you are describing, but it is not what Malkin did...

  9. #29
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post



    This is what you are describing, but it is not what Malkin did...
    This is just a severe version of what Malkin did. I'm describing what JT Miller did, because it's the exact same play.

  10. #30
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,714
    Rep Power
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    No it's not. League got it wrong.

    I've done this exact thing 500 times, and I guarantee that an athlete of Malkin's quality knew exactly what he was doing.
    No, they didn't get it wrong. There was no intent
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  11. #31
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Malkin isn't the hitter, Oshie is. Apples to oranges.

    Oshie is skating into Malkin, Malkin is already there. Malkin is bracing himself, not initiating contact.
    No, they are both the hitters. Malkin is not bracing himself. He is purposely delivering a blow.

  12. #32
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    No, they didn't get it wrong. There was no intent
    In saying that he was bracing for a collision I mean. Malking was absolutely trying to fuck him up.

  13. #33
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,732
    Rep Power
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    No, they are both the hitters. Malkin is not bracing himself. He is purposely delivering a blow.
    Well, that's certainly your opinion. It's pretty clear to me he's bracing.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This is just a severe version of what Malkin did. I'm describing what JT Miller did, because it's the exact same play.
    What? You think Miller should have been suspended for that?

  15. #35
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well, that's certainly your opinion. It's pretty clear to me he's bracing.
    I'd agree until the shoulder follows through.

  16. #36
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,732
    Rep Power
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'd agree until the shoulder follows through.
    Inertia and momentum.

  17. #37
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    What? You think Miller should have been suspended for that?
    Talk about a non sequitir.

    No, I'm using that as an example to show that you can deliver a blow like that and it's different than bracing for impact. With Malkin, the primary point of contact is the head - and the league has established that where the head is doesn't matter - and he has a history of cheap shots.

  18. #38
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Inertia and momentum.
    It's going up before contact...

  19. #39
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Talk about a non sequitir.

    No, I'm using that as an example to show that you can deliver a blow like that and it's different than bracing for impact. With Malkin, the primary point of contact is the head - and the league has established that where the head is doesn't matter - and he has a history of cheap shots.
    because Oshie skated into him face first, whereas Karlsson attempted to hit Miller with his shoulder like you should.

  20. #40
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    because Oshie skated into him face first, whereas Karlsson attempted to hit Miller with his shoulder like you should.
    Which doesn't matter, no matter how many times you say it lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •