Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 150

Thread: White House Suspend CNNís Acosta Following Testy Exchange With Trump

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,693
    Rep Power
    423

    White House Suspend CNNís Acosta Following Testy Exchange With Trump

    The White House has suspended the press credentials of CNN reporter Jim Acosta on Wednesday, hours after President Trump took issue with questions Acosta asked at a news conference.

    The move to punish Acosta by removing his access to the White House is believed to be unprecedented. The Trump administration barred another CNN reporter from attending an open press event in July, but until now hasnít gone as far as removing a credential, known as a ďhard pass,Ē that enables journalists to enter the White House grounds.

    Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders cited Acostaís brief physical confrontation with a White House press aide during Trumpís press conference as the reason for suspending his press pass ďuntil further notice.Ē

    At the event, Trump snapped at Acosta after he asked the president if he he had ďdemonized immigrantsĒ by calling a caravan of the Central American migrants ďan invasion.Ē Following a lengthy and tense verbal back-and-forth, a female White House intern attempted to take the microphone away from Acosta.

    Acosta held onto it, and raised his arm to stop the aide from taking the microphone from him, in the process making contact with her. ďPardon me, maíam,Ē he told the woman.

    On Wednesday night, Sanders accused Acosta of ďplacing his hands on a young womanĒ and said it was on those grounds that Acostaís press pass was being suspended ďuntil further notice.Ē
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ge-with-trump/

    The exchange, for those who haven't seen it yet:

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/media...nce/index.html
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    I love how people love to call Hilary and Obama communists and fascists, yet praise the closest thing we've seen to a dictator in some time.

  3. #3
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,693
    Rep Power
    423
    SHS' entire description of the event is a joke. This is clearly — clearly — the request/demand of Trump not to have to answer to Acosta anymore. It's also a first amendment violation.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #4
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    The entire White House is a joke.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,333
    Rep Power
    13
    Acosta is a liberal masquerading as an objective reporter and a pain in the ass. That said, shutting down the media all the time does him no favors for moderate thinkers who would otherwise agree with strong economic growth and increased border security.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  6. #6
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,693
    Rep Power
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Acosta is a liberal masquerading as an objective reporter and a pain in the ass. That said, shutting down the media all the time does him no favors for moderate thinkers who would otherwise agree with strong economic growth and increased border security.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Literally none of this matters. Yours or Trump's or anyone's opinion of the character of Acosta has no bearing on this event, which is a first amendment violation that's been executed on a specious claim.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #7
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Acosta is a liberal masquerading as an objective reporter and a pain in the ass. That said, shutting down the media all the time does him no favors for moderate thinkers who would otherwise agree with strong economic growth and increased border security.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Manipulating the market, masquerading as strong economic growth, that really only benefits the 1%.

    Racism masquerading as security.

    We all wear masks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,333
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Literally none of this matters. Yours or Trump's or anyone's opinion of the character of Acosta has no bearing on this event, which is a first amendment violation that's been executed on a specious claim.
    The 1st says he's entitled to a press certificate?

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  9. #9
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,693
    Rep Power
    423
    You'd seriously argue on technicality in the face of a journalist having his credentials revoked on a specious claim by a President who clearly hates him as a person? The fact this is being based on a lie is what makes it an attack on the press, which is what makes it a 1A violation.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,333
    Rep Power
    13
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Google search. I agree, it's an excuse for Trump to remove a prominent critic and is unbecoming of a President. Jim Acosta got right back on CNN to talk about it though, as I'm sure many other networks did.

    Do you think he would take this to court? That's where I'm coming from with my argument here. Will it hold up?



    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  11. #11
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,693
    Rep Power
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Google search. I agree, it's an excuse for Trump to remove a prominent critic and is unbecoming of a President. Jim Acosta got right back on CNN to talk about it though, as I'm sure many other networks did.

    Do you think he would take this to court? That's where I'm coming from with my argument here. Will it hold up?



    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I know what the 1A says. If your argument is going to hinge on whether or not it holds up in court, you're missing the forrest for the trees. Especially given you agree with me that this is being used as an excuse for Trump to remove a press member he despises.

    He's not at the level of Putin or Saudia Arabia, but his rhetoric and his outward disdain for the media is itself a run at the freedom of the press. This kind of behavior only makes matters worse.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #12
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    I mean it's documented. Totalitarianism starts with turning people against the media.

    But shocking that people trust a known liar, borderline rapist, and traitor over... CNN.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,333
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I know what the 1A says. If your argument is going to hinge on whether or not it holds up in court, you're missing the forrest for the trees. Especially given you agree with me that this is being used as an excuse for Trump to remove a press member he despises.

    He's not at the level of Putin or Saudia Arabia, but his rhetoric and his outward disdain for the media is itself a run at the freedom of the press. This kind of behavior only makes matters worse.
    I said it makes things worse, right. The text says the freedom of speech, or freedom of the press. 'Jim Acosta' is not the institution of the press, he is a cog in the machine that ran coverage even after he was removed. I don't see it as a major threat to the press by itself. The article also mentioned it would be for the foreseeable future, if he gets back in the hullabaloo will have been for little difference.

    Bigger fish to fry than Jim Acosta, is what I'm saying.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  14. #14
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    I said it makes things worse, right. The text says the freedom of speech, or freedom of the press. 'Jim Acosta' is not the institution of the press, he is a cog in the machine that ran coverage even after he was removed. I don't see it as a major threat to the press by itself. The article also mentioned it would be for the foreseeable future, if he gets back in the hullabaloo will have been for little difference.

    Bigger fish to fry than Jim Acosta, is what I'm saying.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    You're rationalizing.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,333
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're rationalizing.
    "Rationalizing" implies my position is irrational, which an anecdotal search of the r/conservative subreddit shows must be shared by conservatives in general.

    Jim Acosta was not taken away in a black van and beaten up. If he challenges this in court and his case is followed by the press, he will enhance his voice in the public square even more. Failing that, he still works on CNN!

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    690
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I mean it's documented. Totalitarianism starts with turning people against the media.

    But shocking that people trust a known liar, borderline rapist, and traitor over... CNN.
    I don't think people trust either. The problem is Trump fans think it's just the media, and Trump haters think the media has no blame. Sometimes there's a middle ground with blame on both sides. In this case, Trump would have been better off just pulling a Bill Belichick and repeating next question after already answering Acosta's question, rather than going on the offensive and demeaning him about it. Acosta escalated by wanting to debate Trump's answer and refusing to give up the mic for another reporter to ask a question. He then had the audacity to continue to ask a completely different question that has been asked for two years running. Blame on both sides. Take a suspension and move on. This should be a non-story.

  17. #17
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,307
    Rep Power
    273
    This seems to have leftists upset enough to whip up a Mob and march on Tucker Carlson's house. LOL, can you imagine how retarded these people must be.

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    "Rationalizing" implies my position is irrational, which an anecdotal search of the r/conservative subreddit shows must be shared by conservatives in general.

    Jim Acosta was not taken away in a black van and beaten up. If he challenges this in court and his case is followed by the press, he will enhance his voice in the public square even more. Failing that, he still works on CNN!

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    No, you're rationalizing dangerous behavior by saying "It's not so bad, at least he wasn't kidnapped!"

  19. #19
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,772
    Rep Power
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    This seems to have leftists upset enough to whip up a Mob and march on Tucker Carlson's house. LOL, can you imagine how retarded these people must be.
    Yes! Adopting the Trumpist lexicon! I love it. You're falling right into line.

  20. #20
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,719
    Rep Power
    137
    The circus show continues
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •