Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are They 5-7-1 or 1-8-4?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Iím too competitive to settle, or even hope to be bad.

Thatís all it is. Being bad.

Higher draft pick doesnít guarantee anything. Nothing.

Hell, the players that take the most shit are Andersson and Kravtsov. Our top 10 picks.
    What does eeking into the playoffs guarantee?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Whoís giving Kravtsov shit?
    Everyone, when he was drafted.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The same as a high draft pick, plus playoff games and a chance to win the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Wait. We haven't even finished the tear-down, right? We haven't seen the bottom yet, much less a shot at a playoff spot. In theory, tanking doesn't require trying to lose individual games. You can just sell off most of the rest of your veteran talent base as it appears Gorton is going to do.

So play hard, win some games now. Build value. Sell high and early if you can. Then February and March will have plenty of losses to secure a high pick slot.

Or is the argument that we should hold onto Hayes, Zuc, McQuaid, Vlad, et al?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    I’d keep Hayes at a reasonable price.

And I’m all for packaging guys for an upgrade.
    Last edited by josh; 11-03-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Everyone, when he was drafted.
    Not everyone, but a load of people who knew nothing about him.
    I’m honestly not sure what the point is here.

The same as a high draft pick, plus playoff games and a chance to win the cup.

You think this team has a chance to win the cup?
    I’ll have a cup of whatever it is you’re having

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    8th place can win despite very low odds. 2011-2012 Kings. Also, playoff experience. It is a completely different game in the playoffs. I think it's good for guys to see how the game tightens up and the ice gets smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Again, It's not about guarantees. None exist in sports, period. It's a strawman.

What do exist are odds, and I like playing the high ones regarding landing a game changer. If that requires short-term pain for long-term gain, so be it. Bring in R Kelly and tell him to stay away from my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Odds are youíll be obsessed with another set of late first-round draft picks.

I donít think I can remember a top 5 picked guy you wanted to acquire after he was drafted

I’d keep Hayes at a reasonable price.

And I’m all for packaging guys for an upgrade.
    I would give 5x5.5 to Hayes. I've been more fond of his game. I said in another thread I wish he could make that last good decision on some of the opportunities he creates with his puck possession and size advantage. I think he's the kind of player just entering his prime, so I'd be willing to bet on him piecing all that potential together. At the same time, if someone really wanted him and offered a great return, I'd probably bite.

Every team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win the Cup. For the pre-emptive "everyone who bought a Mega Millions ticket had a chance to win that too"....sure, but sports is funny sometimes. Hot teams can surprise in the playoffs. I've seen it in several sports. I saw it twice in the NFL with the Giants sneaking in and taking down juggernaut teams. I've seen it in the NHL with the 2011-2012 Kings as I mentioned a couple posts up.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Every team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win the Cup. For the pre-emptive "everyone who bought a Mega Millions ticket had a chance to win that too"....sure, but sports is funny sometimes. Hot teams can surprise in the playoffs. I've seen it in several sports. I saw it twice in the NFL with the Giants sneaking in and taking down juggernaut teams. I've seen it in the NHL with the 2011-2012 Kings as I mentioned a couple posts up.
    In theory. In reality this team isn’t anywhere near good enough to get past 1 contender in a playoff series, let alone 4.
    In any case they won’t be making the playoffs so the discussion is moot.

If you make the playoffs, you do.

Not everyone, but a load of people who knew nothing about him.
    I’m honestly not sure what the point is here.

The people that want high draft picks are the ones that whine about the players they draft.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Odds are youíll be obsessed with another set of late first-round draft picks.

I donít think I can remember a top 5 picked guy you wanted to acquire after he was drafted
    Rick Nash.

And they're never made available unless they bust, so I'm not really sure what kind of point that is you're making.

I've argued repeatedly that drafting that player, rather than buying them in free agency as the team has done for decades, is a better solution given the age and price factor.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The people that want high draft picks are the ones that whine about the players they draft.
    This isn't the point either. You're all over the map. This is like a shotgun argument where you're just spraying a bunch of loosely connected points and hoping one hits.

But to speak to this directly, it's not my fault if the Rangers constantly go off board and try and outsmart scouts on draft day. Doesn't change the fact that high picks stand a significantly better chance of being impact players for longer than free agents signed near or past the wrong side of 30.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

In reality. In theory this team isn’t anywhere near good enough to get past 1 contender in a playoff series, let alone 4.
    In any case they won’t be making the playoffs so the discussion is moot.
    Fixed.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Why? What value is there in watching the team get swept in the opening round only to suffer a consolation middle round first pick?

This pain is temporary. Embrace it. Own it. Get the highest pick you're bound to by not putting Band-Aids on bullet wounds and be an actually good team in the next 2-3 years.

I'm so fucking done with patching tires to say "at least they made the playoffs." The goal is to win a Cup; not serve as a door mat opening matchup to the top seed.

So why did you root for the Capitals to beat Tampa last playoffs again?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

They’re nowhere near good enough.
    That is a fact my good man.

Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Don't be tangibly competitive now, so we can be theoretically competitive later.

Nah, I could be dead tomorrow.

I don't see how one more draft makes us heads and tails better than we are now. Perhaps, if we could guarantee a top 2 pick this year, I'd feel differently, but we can't.

It's not as if our cupboard is bare and we already have three more picks in top 60 this year.

So, nah. I want some W's.
    And if you were to die tomorrow, would you go more peacefully if you could say, "At least I got to see the boys go out in the 1st round to Carolina in 5?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    So why did you root for the Capitals to beat Tampa last playoffs again?
    This again? I've explained it already. Go dig those threads up.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast