Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are They 5-7-1 or 1-8-4?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    They need a player. Don’t matter where they draft or who they sign. They need a franchise forward.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Not tanking? They barely have an NHL lineup -- they didn't even try to put one together. This is a tank if we're ever going to see one. They're planning on finishing bottom 5 in the league.

Top 10 is fine, but realistically, they need to draft a superstar. They just do. That's the blueprint to cup success in the NHL post lockout. To me, this season will have been a total waste if they're not up for the lottery. I believe that was the goal for this year and I believe they'll trade Zuccarello and Hayes to help that plan along.
    That's not tanking. Tanking is purposefully trying to lose games. That's not what this is. This is a rebuild.

This is moving out old players, keeping young cheap players, and getting them experience. The result of that is a team that's not good.

If Staal and Lundy didn't have NMC they wouldn't be here.

Tanking is what Pitt did to get Mario. They intentionally lost games.

Fuck even Chicago didn't tank. You think the front office sat there and said "Let's be bad and draft high so we'll eventually be good!" No, they just had a cheap, shit owner who wouldn't pay anyone.

This "tank" word is overused.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    This years draft is meant to be very deep in terms of forwards, and significantly better than last year. A top 10 pick will get you a really good player.
    It seems the top 2 are in a league of their own though. And this season is the best chance the Rangers will have at getting one of the top picks. The roster is absolutely dreadful and one of, if not THE, weakest in the entire league. The "problem" is, even with that being the case, it's still good enough to finish better than bottom 5 if they get on a roll.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Itís November, good teams start to separate themselves at the end of this month. The Rangers wonít be one of them
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I think the roster lacks top end firepower but is actually pretty deep.

I think you write this group off at your own peril. Yes, they haven't held leads. Yes, they've picked up a lot of OT points, but I've only seen them truly outplayed once. They are working very hard and that counts for something in this league.

Sustainable? Maybe not, but they could also improve as year goes on and some of the young guys mature.
    Kinda how I look at it.

And to me a win is a win. If it's in OT or regulation or shootout.

And who really wants wins for this season. Fuckin LOSE.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Oh, I want them to make the playoffs. 100%.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Oh, I want them to make the playoffs. 100%.
    Why? What value is there in watching the team get swept in the opening round only to suffer a consolation middle round first pick?

This pain is temporary. Embrace it. Own it. Get the highest pick you're bound to by not putting Band-Aids on bullet wounds and be an actually good team in the next 2-3 years.

I'm so fucking done with patching tires to say "at least they made the playoffs." The goal is to win a Cup; not serve as a door mat opening matchup to the top seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Why? What value is there in watching the team get swept in the opening round only to suffer a consolation middle round first pick?

This pain is temporary. Embrace it. Own it. Get the highest pick you're bound to by not putting Band-Aids on bullet wounds and be an actually good team in the next 2-3 years.

I'm so fucking done with patching tires to say "at least they made the playoffs." The goal is to win a Cup; not serve as a door mat opening matchup to the top seed.

A thousand times this.
    Making the playoffs would be a monumental waste of everyone’s time and totally counterproductive to what we’re trying do do going forward.

Don't be tangibly competitive now, so we can be theoretically competitive later.

Nah, I could be dead tomorrow.

I don't see how one more draft makes us heads and tails better than we are now. Perhaps, if we could guarantee a top 2 pick this year, I'd feel differently, but we can't.

It's not as if our cupboard is bare and we already have three more picks in top 60 this year.

So, nah. I want some W's.

You don't need a guarantee. You just need increased odds, which comes with poorer standings position. The likelihood of them getting a game breaker with a top-five pick versus finding someone to put them over the top with the 18th pick is borne out by historical drafting trends that strongly suggests the higher the pick, the better the player (on average).

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Don't be tangibly competitive now, so we can be theoretically competitive later.

Nah, I could be dead tomorrow.

I don't see how one more draft makes us heads and tails better than we are now. Perhaps, if we could guarantee a top 2 pick this year, I'd feel differently, but we can't.

It's not as if our cupboard is bare and we already have three more picks in top 60 this year.

So, nah. I want some W's.
    But they're not tangibly competitive.

Just sign Panarin. Problem solved. We already know what he is.

Plus, then we don't have to be an embarrassment.

Ultimately, it matters not which way I cheer. I win either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But they're not tangibly competitive.
    No, not really, but they're also not clearly fucking terrible either. There's lots of hockey left, who knows what's going to happen.

To me, there's an immense entertainment value in making noise as an underdog, an afterthought even in this case. It'd be a blast if the defy expectations.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    No, not really, but they're also not clearly fucking terrible either. There's lots of hockey left, who knows what's going to happen.

To me, there's an immense entertainment value in making noise as an underdog, an afterthought even in this case. It'd be a blast if the defy expectations.
    but you get the same satisfaction from watching them play hard, be competitive, make life difficult for the other team, and still lose. How many goals wind up in our Net versus their net is pretty irrelevant to the rest of the story.

I don't get the same satisfaction from that, no.

Why is your barometer only measuring "playoffs" or "terrible"? There's a world of gray in between.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I’m too competitive to settle, or even hope to be bad.

That’s all it is. Being bad.

Higher draft pick doesn’t guarantee anything. Nothing.

Hell, the players that take the most shit are Andersson and Kravtsov. Our top 10 picks.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Who’s giving Kravtsov shit?

Are They 5-7-1 or 1-8-4?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Iím too competitive to settle, or even hope to be bad.

Thatís all it is. Being bad.

Higher draft pick doesnít guarantee anything. Nothing.

Hell, the players that take the most shit are Andersson and Kravtsov. Our top 10 picks.
    Again, It's not about guarantees. None exist in sports, period. It's a strawman.

What do exist are odds, and I like playing the high ones regarding landing a game changer. If that requires short-term pain for long-term gain, so be it. Bring in R Kelly and tell him to stay away from my eyes.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Wait. We haven't even finished the tear-down, right? We haven't seen the bottom yet, much less a shot at a playoff spot. In theory, tanking doesn't require trying to lose individual games. You can just sell off most of the rest of your veteran talent base as it appears Gorton is going to do.

So play hard, win some games now. Build value. Sell high and early if you can. Then February and March will have plenty of losses to secure a high pick slot.

Or is the argument that we should hold onto Hayes, Zuc, McQuaid, Vlad, et al?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast