• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are They 5-7-1 or 1-8-4?

Sod16

There was a day, before every kid got a trophy, when records reflected actual performance in real hockey -- namely records in regulation time. Given that there are no shootouts or 3 on 3 jamborees in the playoffs. Regulation records ultimately reflect the quality of a team. I look down the roster, and it's not that good, but it should be way better than 1-8-4. One regulation win in 13 outings!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the roster lacks top end firepower but is actually pretty deep.

I think you write this group off at your own peril. Yes, they haven't held leads. Yes, they've picked up a lot of OT points, but I've only seen them truly outplayed once. They are working very hard and that counts for something in this league.

Sustainable? Maybe not, but they could also improve as year goes on and some of the young guys mature.

I think you write this group off at your own peril. Yes, they haven't held leads. Yes, they've picked up a lot of OT points, but I've only seen them truly outplayed once. They are working very hard and that counts for something in this league.

Sustainable? Maybe not, but they could also improve as year goes on and some of the young guys mature.

They'll be bad enough to sell and worse after they sell.

You're both probably right, but I'm going to hold on for another month or so. Take a look at their sched for next 5 weeks, they could play their way in to a decent spot if only temporarily.

That would be awful, though. Being this decent and having a bad record is very good for the long term plan.

I'm not really sold on that.

I think all it does is remove you from the Hughes/Kakko picture. Something that isn't even close to being guaranteed if they don't win another game all year. In exchange for that, you're not a fucking embarrassment and won't have the "lottery winner" millstone around your neck. If/when Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto actually win something I think they get an asterisk for in my mind.

Besides that, playing like they are and fostering a hard working, winning attitude is important. Perpetually losing can become a self fulfilling prophecy that can be difficult to escape.

We're just coming off a decade long run of success where draft position was an afterthought. Teams don't need to suck forever to become successful. That's just one avenue.

Our system is already so far ahead if where they were 18 months ago that's it completely unrecognizable. From arguably the worst to arguably a top 6 system. And, no matter what happens this year they're already set to add to it.

I was pointing out their biggest downfall. Can’t hold leads, can’t win. And they should have enough vets to know how to hold more than one lead over 13 games.

Yes, lack of bonafide first liners is a major issue, and a contributing factor to why they can’t win close games.

I always stay optimistic. But that #1 C, or franchise forward is a major need. Not sure they’ll go out and get one this season.

I'm not really sold on that.

I think all it does is remove you from the Hughes/Kakko picture. Something that isn't even close to being guaranteed if they don't win another game all year. In exchange for that, you're not a fucking embarrassment and won't have the "lottery winner" millstone around your neck. If/when Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto actually win something I think they get an asterisk for in my mind.

Besides that, playing like they are and fostering a hard working, winning attitude is important. Perpetually losing can become a self fulfilling prophecy that can be difficult to escape.

We're just coming off a decade long run of success where draft position was an afterthought. Teams don't need to suck forever to become successful. That's just one avenue.

Our system is already so far ahead if where they were 18 months ago that's it completely unrecognizable. From arguably the worst to arguably a top 6 system. And, no matter what happens this year they're already set to add to it.

Playing well and losing isn't the same as playing poorly and losing. Quinn is also not treating losing as acceptable. That's what a losing culture comes in. I'm now worried about that.

If I look at this team right now, it needs another top 10 pick because Chytil and Lias are pretty meh.

Playing well and losing isn't the same as playing poorly and losing. Quinn is also not treating losing as acceptable. That's what a losing culture comes in. I'm now worried about that.

If I look at this team right now, it needs another top 10 pick because Chytil and Lias are pretty meh.

They need a top 2 pick and they need to pick the consensus best available. If you tank without drafting a generational talent, what's the point?

They need a top 2 pick and they need to pick the consensus best available. If you tank without drafting a generational talent, what's the point?

That's the issue I have with it, you need a ton of suck followed up by being awfully lucky.

They're not tanking. They're just not good.

I don't think they NEED a top 2 pick, either. Top 10 would suffice in next year's draft.

They're not tanking. They're just not good.

I don't think they NEED a top 2 pick, either. Top 10 would suffice in next year's draft.

Not tanking? They barely have an NHL lineup -- they didn't even try to put one together. This is a tank if we're ever going to see one. They're planning on finishing bottom 5 in the league.

Top 10 is fine, but realistically, they need to draft a superstar. They just do. That's the blueprint to cup success in the NHL post lockout. To me, this season will have been a total waste if they're not up for the lottery. I believe that was the goal for this year and I believe they'll trade Zuccarello and Hayes to help that plan along.

Not tanking? They barely have an NHL lineup -- they didn't even try to put one together. This is a tank if we're ever going to see one. They're planning on finishing bottom 5 in the league.

Top 10 is fine, but realistically, they need to draft a superstar. They just do. That's the blueprint to cup success in the NHL post lockout. To me, this season will have been a total waste if they're not up for the lottery. I believe that was the goal for this year and I believe they'll trade Zuccarello and Hayes to help that plan along.

That's not tanking. Tanking is purposefully trying to lose games. That's not what this is. This is a rebuild.

This is moving out old players, keeping young cheap players, and getting them experience. The result of that is a team that's not good.

If Staal and Lundy didn't have NMC they wouldn't be here.

Tanking is what Pitt did to get Mario. They intentionally lost games.

Fuck even Chicago didn't tank. You think the front office sat there and said "Let's be bad and draft high so we'll eventually be good!" No, they just had a cheap, shit owner who wouldn't pay anyone.

This "tank" word is overused.

This years draft is meant to be very deep in terms of forwards, and significantly better than last year. A top 10 pick will get you a really good player.

It seems the top 2 are in a league of their own though. And this season is the best chance the Rangers will have at getting one of the top picks. The roster is absolutely dreadful and one of, if not THE, weakest in the entire league. The "problem" is, even with that being the case, it's still good enough to finish better than bottom 5 if they get on a roll.

Kinda how I look at it.

And to me a win is a win. If it's in OT or regulation or shootout.

And who really wants wins for this season. Fuckin LOSE.

Archived