Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: [RS] (#11) Rangers at Los Angeles Kings // F.A.M.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Will you still make the GDT for the sadists among us that need a forum?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Of course. Just like this one. F.A.M.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I think Pionk got caught off guard and did not expect Kovalchuk to walk in and shoot. By the time he realized it he simply allowed as clear a view as possible for Hank, but the initial decision not to move up and challenge was very poor.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Ha, you guys watched that and tell me you don't see how Pionk stops attacking Kovy to give Hank a clear view and not abandon Carter completely with 2 men in the crease? And Hank stops it.

What precedes Kovy's shot is hardly irrelevant. What kind of understanding of positioning and decisions can you have if you start by looking at the shot?

Hayes made the real mistake turning the 5 on 4 into a 4 on 3, and Kovy took advantage by being very aggressive attacking from the wall and as he and the other 3 kings closed in on the net. Essentially/technically in theory Kovy is Hayes's man in that play, not Pionks.
    I'm with Future. Defend that initial shot and you save everyone the effort of what can happen from that shot getting off.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I think Pionk got caught off guard and did not expect Kovalchuk to walk in and shoot. By the time he realized it he simply allowed as clear a view as possible for Hank, but the initial decision not to move up and challenge was very poor.
    I can appreciate that take. Ideally, Hayes doesn't take the extra 2 steps toward Doughty and is in position to react (use his stick) to Kovy on the wall. Kovy then has to move it back to Doughty or send it below the goal line. It wasn't much, but Hayes is not Hags and doesn't have a quick twitch ability to shift directions on a dime and switch his body and stick back to the wing. Pionk is not expecting to skate out and challenge a guy that far from the goal with 2 men already behind him. Staal does this all too often, chasing guys who are on the other side of the circle. Unless you block the puck it leaves a 2 on 1 in front of the net.

I'd also like to add, I'm full in on the DeAngelo must play, train. Great vision and ability to get the puck on players sticks. Sit Pionk, McQuaid, who ever. He's gotta be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'm with Future. Defend that initial shot and you save everyone the effort of what can happen from that shot getting off.
    That's cool, but I'm with Valli. Keep them outside, let them shoot from the perimeter and let Hank do his job. Avoid odd man situations because good execution beats good down-a-man defense.

Penalty 5 on 4. Hayes mistake 4 on 3. Pionk leaves box to attack Kovy on wall = 2 on 1.

You guys still win, I'll admit defeat.

Senior Member Squirt Division Progrocker's Avatar
    "We know how to play hard, we have to learn to play smart."- Mats Zuccarello

That's cool, but I'm with Valli. Keep them outside, let them shoot from the perimeter and let Hank do his job. Avoid odd man situations because good execution beats good down-a-man defense.

Penalty 5 on 4. Hayes mistake 4 on 3. Pionk leaves box to attack Kovy on wall = 2 on 1.

You guys still win, I'll admit defeat.
    On a PP? The shot from back there is absolute trouble due to being down a man and players going to the net. It either gets deflected, tapped in, goes in on it's own or it doesn't get off. Block the shot, get a stick on it, contest the shot. Don't let one of the games best shooters have a clear lane to shoot. I don't see how giving the clean shot to a great shooter is a good idea. Then again I'm not a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    On a PP? The shot from back there is absolute trouble due to being down a man and players going to the net. It either gets deflected, tapped in, goes in on it's own or it doesn't get off. Block the shot, get a stick on it, contest the shot. Don't let one of the games best shooters have a clear lane to shoot. I don't see how giving the clean shot to a great shooter is a good idea. Then again I'm not a coach.
    Makes sense. Just noting that even if Pionk (whose back was turned from playing the Kopitar rebound) immediately attacked Kovy when he received the pass, he was still 30+ feet away. By the time he gets way out to challenge, Kovy moves the puck to the vacated slot where 2 Kings are waiting.

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Ha ha, my wife still loves Hayes and we were talking about that decision and his situational awareness. She was like, "he's committed to a possession game even with 5 seconds left".

Hayes is the oddest hockey player ( I guess an infuriating enigma) to watch all season. He looks fast, looks slow. He causes turnovers with great positioning and amazing anticipation and a smart stick. He then turns a great play and an inevitable 2 on 1 into a 2 on 3. But then makes a nice pass through the slot to threaten. He'll regain the loose puck, protect it and then flub the pass out of the O zone. He'll shutdown a top center all game, then get caught falling in the Ozone for a goal. He'll take a puck strong to the net, then take a puck strong into the corner. And so it goes.

He's pretty awesome and also sucks.
    Your wife has a great sense of humor Giac. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Pionk looked like his xbox controller disabled when Kovalchuk got the puck.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Moderator Junior Division
    Makes sense. Just noting that even if Pionk (whose back was turned from playing the Kopitar rebound) immediately attacked Kovy when he received the pass, he was still 30+ feet away. By the time he gets way out to challenge, Kovy moves the puck to the vacated slot where 2 Kings are waiting.
    Oh come on, Pionk was already in the circle when Kovy got the puck, that's 15 feet tops. Fast and Staal were both in the slot, and Hayes was recovering that way. This is the moment Kovy got the puck

By being so indecisive, Pionk not only left himself guarding nobody, but prevented Staal from rotating to Carter, and Fast from rotating down to Brown. Hayes is in the passing lane, preventing the look to Kopitar, so the only option is back to Doughty or a weaker shot if Pionk isn't so passive. He only needs to take like 2 strides.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Oh come on, Pionk was already in the circle when Kovy got the puck, that's 15 feet tops. Fast and Staal were both in the slot, and Hayes was recovering that way. This is the moment Kovy got the puck

By being so indecisive, Pionk not only left himself guarding nobody, but prevented Staal from rotating to Carter, and Fast from rotating down to Brown. Hayes is in the passing lane, preventing the look to Kopitar, so the only option is back to Doughty or a weaker shot if Pionk isn't so passive. He only needs to take like 2 strides.
    The more I look at it, the more I see he's doing absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

OK, I already conceded to the majority rule. Yet, I didn't want your work to go unresponded, even if there isn't much left to be said about Pionk, on the play. What is interesting though is breaking down the PK from a coaching standpoint.

Even though your video does not include Pionk dealing with Kopitar's rebound, back to Doughty, I'll concede Pionk is able to reset when Kovy gets the puck. So, let's just take a look at the still photo above. Imagine you are a coach teaching fundamental PK positioning, to the room.

No need not even hit the play button. Start with the frame above and yell: What is wrong with this picture? Hint: If your answer doesn't reference geometry stay silent.

The Kings have control on the perimeter, but do you see a tight box? Room chuckles. Who's out of position? Who has backside coverage?

Pionk's initial instinct may be he expected a forward is to cover Kovy, who was behind the circle. He has Carter, while Staal has the low slot and Brown. Hayes is at least 2 steps out of position in 2 directions. Fast has the high slot, backside coverage and the opposite circle if Kopitar moves in. Not the 2 guys next to Hank, you agree? Also, the circle is 30' in diameter. Pionk and Kovy are ~30' apart in your still.

Maybe we were taught different approaches on the PK. Stay disciplined and stay tight when the puck is out on the perimeter or blueline. Puck-you-Man or Puck-you-Goal right?

Once you hit play, to complicate matters Staal will makes a bad judgement by leaving a well-positioned Brown unattended, to pick-up the stick of Pionk's man. Brown, should be defended there, Staal can do nothing but flail at him after he scores. Fast can't do it, why suggest he could. This is a case where Hayes is trying to do to much and makes a boneheaded play and creates an opening for attack. Staal tries to do too much, also. Yet, he just made a calculated risk that defending a deflection or tap in from Carter was smarter than staying where he was.

Nobody really deserves to be killed on this. The Kings saw a small advantage when Hayes challenged, and they executed like good players on a PP do.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567