Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rangers' Hayes Drawing Early Interest

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Zibanejad could be a first line wing. He’s not a first line C.
    That's not really looking like it holds much water anymore. He could easily put up 75 points this year and his defensive game has evolved to a fairly high level.

Andersson/Chytil are coin flips to remain at Center under the best playing time conditions. I'm not confident anointing them and if you dump Zib/Hays that's exactly what you're doing.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    That's not really looking like it holds much water anymore. He could easily put up 75 points this year and his defensive game has evolved to a fairly high level.

Andersson/Chytil are coin flips to remain at Center under the best playing time conditions. I'm not confident anointing them and if you dump Zib/Hays that's exactly what you're doing.
    Ranks 45th among centers in even strength points (most have played less games)

That’s a shitty #1C
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Ranks 45th among centers in even strength points (most have played less games)

Thatís a shitty #1C
    Good thing the game isn't played exclusively at ES.

Strip Ovechkin PPP and tell me what you get.

He also plays with guys like Buch and Fast who are third line players. Let's not be willfully obtuse here.

No one is saying he's Crosby. But he's without a doubt a legit 1C who can also play against the other team top line.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Zibanejad has been roughly a 50-55 point player max over 6 years. That is not a #1 C IMO. This year he looks to have taken a step forward, and he is still only 25. If he keeps us this play all year he is a 1C.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Good thing the game isn't played exclusively at ES.

Strip Ovechkin PPP and tell me what you get.

He also plays with guys like Buch and Fast who are third line players. Let's not be willfully obtuse here.

No one is saying he's Crosby. But he's without a doubt a legit 1C who can also play against the other team top line.
    ES Zibanejad is compatible to a poor-mans Kevin Hayes

And what’s ovechkin have to do with a 1C?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    ES Zibanejad is compatible to a poor-mans Kevin Hayes

And whatís ovechkin have to do with a 1C?
    Blah blah blah. It's a baseless claim.

Zibanejad “skates” more on here than he does on the ice

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Leave things be and see how things develop by January 1st. At that time they can sign Hayes and/or Zuc if it seems warranted and they will have a better idea as to whether Vesey and Buchnevich are worth keeping. At that time there can be a prudent assessment of the kind of trades we should make, if any.

Ryan OíReilly is a comparable player that has a horrible contract.

1st, 2nd, good prospect, cap dump
    Ryan O'Reilly wasn't a rental though.
    It isn't comparable at all.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Z is turning into a bonafide 1C before our eyes. It would have been clearer sooner had he not been injured. Clearer still if he had legit top line wingers.

R O'Reilly is so overrated. Has that guy ever contributed to a winning program in the pros? I know he complained about his contract incessantly for years. He became disruptive and yet his game declined and has not been impressive since.

The minute we sign Hayes, he's no longer a rental. Then we can still trade him. There is no reason to sell Hayes at a discount, never has been. I'm fine signing him (even giving him 8 teams he can reject a trade to) and moving him and others down the road, to get a top pair Dman or top wing.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-12-2018 at 08:03 AM.

I'm not sure what you're advocating here, but surely your not suggesting we sign Hayes on the money he wants only to turn around and flip him.

On O'Reilly, he's got 21 points in 15 games for the Blues so far which seems decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I'm not sure what you're advocating here, but surely your not suggesting we sign Hayes on the money he wants only to turn around and flip him.

On O'Reilly, he's got 21 points in 15 games for the Blues so far which seems decent.
    Kinda. Advocating getting fair value out of him and not selling him at a discount. He wants to stay, there is no reason he needs to be sold as a rental. OK signing him and trading him down the road, like any other player.

ROR is doing better than I thought, maybe he is settling in. In fairness, I have not seen him much this year. Whenever I do, he rarely impresses me.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 11-12-2018 at 08:08 AM.

I don't see it.
    He'll either be dealt at the deadline or sign a new deal. In the latter scenario he stays with the Rangers at least for the time being. He may or may not be traded at some point in the future, but it's certainly debatable whether he'll be easily moved on the sort of contract he's looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I don't see it.
    I understand why you say that, it is not typically done. Honestly though, I did not understand not signing him to 5 x 6 or even 6 x 6. I seemed to not be about the money, but more because of concern about his commitment to being a top player. Especially since he was so overweight at the end of the year. I felt mgmt did not want to reward that and decided to see how he'd play and commit to hockey under Quinn and reassess.

Centers are critical and in short supply. It is our only ticket to a #1RHD, which does not exist in our system. Think Seth Jones trade. Or perhaps one of our C's yields us a right-handed sniper. We must covet our Centers.

To trade Hayes for a late 1st and a B prospect is quantity over quality. Weren't we reluctant to move him during the draft for a late first or a few high seconds from Montreal? I heard a rumor (unsubstantiated) we wanted a mid to high first for him.

I'd rather combine assets to Hayes and get one very valuable and needed piece.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123