• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sending Two Scouts to Leafs/Pens Game; Nylander?

Phil

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On last night's pregame Bob Mckenzie said the Leaf GM met with Nylander and his dad in Switzerland last week, babbling about how he was part of their future and they wanted to resign him. But the math doesn't work unless they unload Kadri and more.May be scouting others that also would be dealt as part of a bigger deal? And even then hard to see how they could sign him, Matthews, Tavares and Marmer. Suspect it was more about where is it you might sign with so they can make a deal ASAP. Not sure how TBL fits, their cap would also be a mess. Devs have young bodies to deal too.

Need to send the scouts to Sweden to watch Nylander workout...

Austria

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/william-nylander-practising-week-austrian-hockey-team/

William Nylander practising this week with Austrian hockey team

William Nylander has started practising with Austrian team Dornbirner EC while waiting out his contract impasse with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Sportsnet has learned.

The 22-year-old winger was on the ice with the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga team on Wednesday and Thursday and is expected to be at practice again on Friday. His plans beyond that are unknown to the team, according to head coach Dave MacQueen.

Hank to Toronto

Think about how strong our suck would be without Hank standing on his head? Hughes here we come!

If we are going to dream AND help Toronto win a Cup, asap:

* Send them Hank at 50% or Georgiev

* Any RHD in our org (if Shatty we'll absorb $1.5 mil per)

* Buch

* Zuc

* Lias or trade Hayes for something Dubas wants

In return we get MARNER, the guy who can drive play on the 1st line.

They can sign Nylander for less than Marner. For this pipedream, we'll need Babcock to again forget Marner isn't Kopitar on D, which may never happen. Or Dubas to play a version of moneyball that values a well-balanced complete team over one elite smallish forward on the cusp of a massive contract.

Bigger than the Nash trade. Five for 1. We get the best player. They fill all their needs in one fell swoop. Some very good cheap youth, proven Vets, an RHD, depth, and a goalie ready to win it all at half price. Though far-fetched this deal would advance the goals of both teams.

* Buch

* Zuc

They can sign Nylander for quite a bit less than Marner. For this pipedream to happen we need Babcock to again forget Marner isn't Kopitar on D, which may never happen. Or Dubas to play a version of moneyball and decide a well-balanced complete team increases their Cup odds than having an one more elite smallish foward on the cusp of a massive contract.

This is bigger than the Nash trade. Five for 1. We get the best player, but they fill all their needs in one fell swoop. Some very good cheap youth, proven Vets, an RHD, depth, and a goalie ready to win it all at half price. Though far-fetched this deal would advance the goals of both teams.

I don't see either of these guys as potential franchise players. And certainly not good enough to give up that much.

I don't see Marner or Nylander as the piece that turns this team around.

Forget Nylander, just not as dynamic or game breaking. Just check out some of Marner's play already this year. He is turning into an elite winger and he is driving the play for his linemates. Just what you want Josh. Watch some Leaf games.

He is Patrick Kane like. In fact, for all those who love Hughes...

My favorite Hughes comparable is that he is Marner who plays C. Also, Hughes may have a slightly better shot and may have the most sticky blade of any American I've seen.

This reminds me of all the posts starting late last year showing Taveras as our first line center. Probably will end up the same way that pipe dream did.

Hopefully someone can post this twitter post. It's worth a laugh and it's beyond comical with the way they've been playing.

* Buch

* Zuc

They can sign Nylander for less than Marner. For this pipedream, we'll need Babcock to again forget Marner isn't Kopitar on D, which may never happen. Or Dubas to play a version of moneyball that values a well-balanced complete team over one elite smallish forward on the cusp of a massive contract.

Bigger than the Nash trade. Five for 1. We get the best player. They fill all their needs in one fell swoop. Some very good cheap youth, proven Vets, an RHD, depth, and a goalie ready to win it all at half price. Though far-fetched this deal would advance the goals of both teams.

Seriously? Not a video game.

Seriously? Not a video game.

Lol, I served you up the perfect hanging curve, knew you'd smack it.

Not very serious, but trying to make a few points. The first being that we need a player like Marner, not Nylander. And I like Nylander a lot. Not only does Marner's style fit better, but he's an impact game changer and drives play against the best. Nylander is not even at the game anyway.

Also wanted to write-out what it would take in assets to get that caliber What a deal with Toronto would look like and the perfect circumstances/match necessary. Including both team's current and future cap concerns. We see the cost is significant and painful, even if we hold onto our cachet of LHDs and Chytil/Howden/Kravtsov/Shesty.

Not that it matters, but unlike Josh, I bet you'd do that deal. It makes the team better in the long run. It could truly improve Toronto's short term Cup chances too. So a win-win. However, they are not dealing Marner. Yet, I bet they realize they will need to add a top 4 defender, really a top pair. Preferably a righty. If I'm Dubas I'd look to trade Nylander in a Seth Jones like deal. Or maybe settle for a guy like Dumba? Eh. The Leafs have to find a partner like Columbus did, but it's not easy.

If Nylander isn’t playing, why would we send scouts there for him? Wouldn’t it make more sense for Toronto to send scouts to the Rangers games if it involved Nylander?

Lol, yes.

Teams scouting this game, from a Toronto perspective, means that they're trying to unload somebody to make room for Nylander...idk who the Rangers would be interested in. Kapanen or Leivo are the only two that really make sense. For Pitt, I wonder if the Rangers would be interested in Sprong. Maybe a Zucc/Sprong type of swap could work, but I don't know why the Pens would have any interest in that at this point of the season.

Archived