Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musical Guilty Pleasures... Be Honest

//reported Junior Division
    Acoustic covers of metal songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91dnEs8RGE
    Metal covers of pop songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpgk37G_Z2c
    LGR!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    Acoustic covers of metal songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91dnEs8RGE
    Metal covers of pop songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpgk37G_Z2c
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Yep, seen most of that dude's videos. They're great and quite cringey, but still great at the same time.

Acoustic pop also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmUr8eT80Cc

More Tool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpgdHpbQuDE
    LGR!

Senior Member Squirt Division NY Chief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    Calm down grandpa.
    Calm as can be. Still blows...

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    The other 1%

Talking Heads - Remain in Light in 80, then Stop Making Sense with Eno, then....
    Or kick-off 1980 with The Clash's Jan release of London Calling only to be followed up with a completely different and just as brilliant 'Sandanista'.
    Ring in the New Year with Pink Floyd's The Wall
    Prince kicks in the 80's with sexy pop like 1999, even before Purple Rain and jamming with miles davis for some of the best live music you never heard.
    Our last album from Lennon in 1980, before being killed.
    Bob Marley gifts us Uprising in 80 too.
    Peter Gabriel starts killing it in 1980. Album after album.
    Damn Elvis Costello introduction on SNL is iconic.
    REM's 1st Album 'Murmur' in 83 was groundbreaking, epic and changed alt/indy music.
    The Police were blowing up, great albums. Shows still fun, Sting not pretentious yet.
    The Pretenders - Chrissie Hynde raped me over and over. She made RocknRoll and the 80's her bitch.
    The Smiths- 82 on, listen to anything
    The Cure starts a string of acclaimed albums beginning in 1980.
    Joy Division - 1980 we get 'Closer'! Then New Order.
    Zappa producing 4-5 albums a year. 81, 82, 84, 88 tours represent some of the best live music ever by any band.
    Blondie, the Ramones and the whole NY/NJ Velvet Underground punky new wave scene.
    The Grateful Dead still playing year round, every year.
    Bowie and Eno's Scary Monsters in 80 and more later
    Most of U2's stuff right up to mid 80's peaking with the Joshua Tree.
    Springsteen, Yes, The Stones and other iconic bands from the 70's still doing some decent stuff.
    Roxy Music - Avalon in 82
    The The, another great Brit band.
    And a few others....
    The Pixies
    XTC
    Kraftwerk
    Black Flag
    Lauri Anderson
    Cocteau Twins
    Kate Bush
    Michael Jackson's Thriller
    or AC/DC's 1980 Back in Black
    10,000 Maniacs
    Scientist
    The Meat Puppets
    Bad Brains
    Tom Waits
    Sinead O'Connor
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Violent Femmes
    Tears for Fears
    Run DMC
    Depeche Mode

That's just the first half of the decade.
    And 90% of THAT list ehhhhh….

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Chief View Post
    And 90% of THAT list ehhhhh….
    haha, well i don't love it all either, especially now. But if you wanna know where you are going it is good to know where you are coming from. Curious about your 10%, what were you listening to in the early 80's?

well, give us something.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.

haha, well i don't love it all either, especially now. But if you wanna know where you are going it is good to know where you are coming from. Curious about your 10%, what were you listening to in the early 80's?

well, give us something.
    Zep
    Who
    Queen
    Beatles!
    Floyd
    Jeff Beck
    Rory Gallagher
    Deep Purple
    Gary Moore
    SRV

BTW, I was also in a few bands who played in the punk scene along with Blondie, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones at CBGB's, MAX's, Gildersleeves, Coventry...in fact Marky Ramone offered me a hit of his model glue in the bathroom at CB's....

Zep
    Who
    Queen
    Beatles!
    Floyd
    Jeff Beck
    Rory Gallagher
    Deep Purple
    Gary Moore
    SRV

BTW, I was also in a few bands who played in the punk scene along with Blondie, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones at CBGB's, MAX's, Gildersleeves, Coventry...in fact Marky Ramone offered me a hit of his model glue in the bathroom at CB's....
    Television never got the credit it deserved and I really liked Tom Verlaine's solo stuff. I'd also add a band that never made it big who I loved and that was The Jam
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Television never got the credit it deserved and I really liked Tom Verlaine's solo stuff. I'd also add a band that never made it big who I loved and that was The Jam
    Even though I played there I wasn't a big fan of punk. Worst musical bands I was ever in, best gigs I ever played. Opened two nights for Ian Hunter at the Ritz one weekend. 3000+ people. Great fun.

Zep
    Who
    Queen
    Beatles!
    Floyd
    Jeff Beck
    Rory Gallagher
    Deep Purple
    Gary Moore
    SRV

Ha, probably his prized vintage model glue, those guys knew how to party. Ya gotta have more stories from those crazy times. Opening for Ian Hunter, nice!

I never really liked most punk since they tried to hard to avoid musical skill and melody. Yet, I fell hard for the Clash, right from their great first album. Got into Blondie (it was HS) and they were fresh. The Talking Heads were a whole different amazing new wavish animal. The funny thing about Television, saw them last year at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest with Kurt Vile. Was surprised my 11 y/o girl loved all 3 bands. Who'd da thunk.

Can't argue with your list. Deep Purple and Gary Moore weren't my thing, but the rest... definitely. I'd substitute the great prog rockers of Yes, Rush and early Genesis instead, since that list leans to bigtime HOF acts. Can't believe I left out Queen and Stevie Ray, they rocked my world. Had just seen SRV w/Joe Cocker about a week before the Copter crash at Alpine Valley. Speaking of amazing white blues Guitarists (besides Duane and Stevie), in college we'd listen to Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanon, Jeff Beck and the Dixie Dregs all at the same sitting, for some odd reason.

Good stuff, do you still see live music? Any current bands you enjoy?

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    I play piano in an acoustic roots kind of geezer band doing old r'n'r, classic country, blues, folk, etc. So when the family jumps into the car, there will likely as not be some stride or boogie woogie player on who died before 1950, or a honky tonk guy like Moon Mullican. Usually sounds like it was recorded inside a Coke bottle at the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know if I feel guilty about it, but my wife and kids sure seem to think I ought to.

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I play piano in an acoustic roots kind of geezer band doing old r'n'r, classic country, blues, folk, etc. So when the family jumps into the car, there will likely as not be some stride or boogie woogie player on who died before 1950, or a honky tonk guy like Moon Mullican. Usually sounds like it was recorded inside a Coke bottle at the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know if I feel guilty about it, but my wife and kids sure seem to think I ought to.
    Do you guys write your own stuff?
    Post links. I think there are a couple of musicians on the forum who would love to listen, myself included.

As for more guilty pleasures, you got me thinking of The Dead South - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY

And I love (c)rap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPR0ZcFtSZQ

And Chance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkIUnRRH6l4

And this stupid song whatever it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMQrqNk_CQ
    LGR!

haha sounds authentic. Tell them that. Follow it up with "get real".

Ha, probably his prized vintage model glue, those guys knew how to party. Ya gotta have more stories from those crazy times. Opening for Ian Hunter, nice!

I never really liked most punk since they tried to hard to avoid musical skill and melody. Yet, I fell hard for the Clash, right from their great first album. Got into Blondie (it was HS) and they were fresh. The Talking Heads were a whole different amazing new wavish animal. The funny thing about Television, saw them last year at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest with Kurt Vile. Was surprised my 11 y/o girl loved all 3 bands. Who'd da thunk.

Can't argue with your list. Deep Purple and Gary Moore weren't my thing, but the rest... definitely. I'd substitute the great prog rockers of Yes, Rush and early Genesis instead, since that list leans to bigtime HOF acts. Can't believe I left out Queen and Stevie Ray, they rocked my world. Had just seen SRV w/Joe Cocker about a week before the Copter crash at Alpine Valley. Speaking of amazing white blues Guitarists (besides Duane and Stevie), in college we'd listen to Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanon, Jeff Beck and the Dixie Dregs all at the same sitting, for some odd reason.

I just started listening to Kury Vile and I saw his former band War on Drugs. I didn't get a chance to see him when he was in the NYC area. The Clash "The Only Band That Mattered" I was lucky enough to see them 5 times, where you able to see them at Bonds? The first time I saw them live it was HOLY SHIT !!!!!! and I was hooked. I recently saw Django Django at LPR, David Byrne in Monmouth University, The Horrors at Asbury Lanes, Interpol in Philly, Depeche Mode at Barclays, Olufur Arnolds at LPR, The Pretenders in Red Bank and Steve Windwood in NJPAC all this year and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. A lot easier for me to go to concerts now that my son's are young adults.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Can't tell you HALF the s&^t that went down at CB's...yeah, the Ramones boys knew how to party but not like some of the junkies that made that place HQ. There's a movie about Hilly Crystal and CB's that's pretty accurate about the stink and err, restrooms. Debbie H was pretty crazy. Spent a long cold drive in a van from NY to northern CT with her. She was looking to "keep warm" but decided the bass player was cuter... (story of my musician life). The punk guys weren't really trying to avoid musical skill, trust me. It came naturally.... Ian Hunter was the best. After our first show the leader of my band asked if I wanted to meet Ian. Yeah, I'm gonna say no. We walked into his dressing room and stopped mid sentence, looked at me and said "Mate, you're one hell of a guitar player" What he DID'NT do is follow that with "Wanna join my band?" (the story of my musician life...)

Just turned on to some old local LA down and dirty blues that were pretty big time locally. Stones, Clapton, the Kings supposedly all came to see them when they were in town. The Red Devils and the other fav Johnny Mastro and Momma's Boys. There's a great local roots, rockabilly, blues scene here in Long Beach. High caliber players. Another band I just happened on is Cadillac Moon. They are the band playing in the bar scene in Devils Advocate. Never noticed it 'til just recently. KILLER groove to Show Me Your Tattto. And St Paul and the Broken Bones I just caught on a TV special. Little chunky nerdy white guy singer sounds like friggin Otis Redding!!!!!

The LI copy scene was killer back in the day. Local band called Rat Race Choir had a guitar player that would have destroyed Van Halen at his own game if he got the same recogintion

Moon Mullican...GREAT STUFF!!!!

Can't tell you HALF the s&^t that went down at CB's...yeah, the Ramones boys knew how to party but not like some of the junkies that made that place HQ. There's a movie about Hilly Crystal and CB's that's pretty accurate about the stink and err, restrooms. Debbie H was pretty crazy. Spent a long cold drive in a van from NY to northern CT with her. She was looking to "keep warm" but decided the bass player was cuter... (story of my musician life). The punk guys weren't really trying to avoid musical skill, trust me. It came naturally.... Ian Hunter was the best. After our first show the leader of my band asked if I wanted to meet Ian. Yeah, I'm gonna say no. We walked into his dressing room and stopped mid sentence, looked at me and said "Mate, you're one hell of a guitar player" What he DID'NT do is follow that with "Wanna join my band?" (the story of my musician life...)
    I saw Ian Hunter play about a year ago when he opened up for the J. Geils Band at the Beacon and he could still really sing. What year was it that you met Ian? I had seen him right around the time when his hit song was Just Another Night.
    Curly

Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    I saw Ian Hunter play about a year ago when he opened up for the J. Geils Band at the Beacon and he could still really sing. What year was it that you met Ian? I had seen him right around the time when his hit song was Just Another Night.
    I was in a band called....Fats Deacon and the Dumbwaiters.....yeah, I know, don't ask... we opened Fri and Sat night for Ian at the Ritz on 11th I think it was. Early 80's. Martin Briley (Salt in my Tears) was his guitar player at the time. Martin was a prick to me.... It was pretty funny actually. I had the same head of hair as Ian at the time and after sound check when we went out the front door everyone on line was shouting at me "HEY IAN!!! Can I get an autograph!!!"

The Beacon is still around? I saw Jeff Beck there around '80 something. GREAT show

The Beacon on Bway and 74th?
    Yes absolutely still there.
    LGR!

I was in a band called....Fats Deacon and the Dumbwaiters.....yeah, I know, don't ask... we opened Fri and Sat night for Ian at the Ritz on 11th I think it was. Early 80's. Martin Briley (Salt in my Tears) was his guitar player at the time. Martin was a prick to me.... It was pretty funny actually. I had the same head of hair as Ian at the time and after sound check when we went out the front door everyone on line was shouting at me "HEY IAN!!! Can I get an autograph!!!"

The Beacon is still around? I saw Jeff Beck there around '80 something. GREAT show
    That's cool you got to open up for Ian Hunter would've been nice if there were a few members of Mott the Hopple were playing with him. Also, good to hear he had something nice to say to you. The Ritz was changed to Webster Hall and it is now closed down for renovations, but a great place to see a show.
    Curly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast