Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 89

Thread: Jamal Khashoggi

  1. #61
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Not at all. You asked what makes him special, which I took to mean "why is a bigger stink being made over this than over the deaths of other journalists around the world?" To that end, yes, Trump. But that doesn't bridge to "no one cares about dead journalists." The horror over what happened to him is only made worse when it's downplayed for financial/strategic gain by a President who lacks empathy entirely. Like salt in the wound.

    I think any state that routinely kills reporters and journalists ought to be hammered for it.
    so like I said before...its not the act, it's your reaction to Trump's reaction to the act.

    your last sentence is just thrown in to make you feel better about this but in reality, you could care less about the dead journalist, you're outraged by Trump's statement. If Trump condemned the act right away, this thread would be 4 posts long.

  2. #62
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    86,901
    Rep Power
    470
    It's both. It's awful what happened to Khashoggi, and it's awful that this is fairly common practice in so many nations. But yes, Trump's outrageous response, which included kowtowing to a despot and lauding a politician who was formally charged for assaulting a reporter, made it worse.

    Perhaps this thread would only be four posts long if not for that, but that's why I said he made it worse.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #63
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,535
    Rep Power
    541
    No data to support, but would venture to guess that when a country assassinates a journalist, other world leaders at least call out the country... They don't say...

    Uh... Well... Uh... He said he didn't do it, so... Uh... We gotta believe him... Uh... Even though all our intelligence says he DID do it... Uh... We've got alot of agreements, more deals than ever in the history of the world with them... So ... Uh.

  4. #64
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,604
    Rep Power
    317
    But but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if

    -Rudyard Kipling

  5. #65
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,604
    Rep Power
    317
    Oh damn, I didn't even see Pete's comment lol

  6. #66
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    explain how he was an American?
    sorry just saw this and not sure how i made that mistake, as I said later in the sentence, he was a US resident. I think I meant working for an American company.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    oh its Trump. so basically libs don't care about the poor guy getting decapitated. Libs only care how Trump reacts to it. yet another example of common sense disappearance
    well this discussion has gone to shit. Your assertions and assumptions are way-off and insulting. I can't speak for "Libs" but I abhor state-ordered, state-sponsored, state-approved killing, injuring, jailing of any journalist or reporter. Or even just critics exercising their free speech. I speak out against it ALL THE TIME, and so do plenty of others, way before this incident. Just because some of us haven't written a treatise about it on a hockey forum doesn't mean this is a conspiracy to fuck Trump.

    We should all speak out against all these forms of fascism or authoritarianism. I'm trying to do my part in protecting the idea of the 1st Amendment and the free press. I want no part of normalizing this unAmerican behavior. It seems there are others here who disregard the role of the press in a democracy and are vocal about it right here in this thread. It isn't me or Phil or Pete. Question them.

    Inciting crowds at rally's to hassle/punch reporters or jailing/hurting their political components is page right out of 1932 Germany. The strategy to suppress voters, intimidate, lie to and threaten the press and the people is Dictator 101 stuff. Dig in and address the problem. Not the assumed motivations of those speaking about the problem. That has been the low-brow, low-intellect approach of Fox prime time. I'm not interested in that political bullshit which isn't grounded in any substance.

    killpropoganda

  8. #68
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    #takeagoddamnstand

  9. #69
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,535
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    well this discussion has gone to shit. Your assertions and assumptions are way-off and insulting. I can't speak for "Libs" but I abhor state-ordered, state-sponsored, state-approved killing, injuring, jailing of any journalist or reporter. Or even just critics exercising their free speech. I speak out against it ALL THE TIME, and so do plenty of others, way before this incident. Just because some of us haven't written a treatise about it on a hockey forum doesn't mean this is a conspiracy to fuck Trump.

    We should all speak out against all these forms of fascism or authoritarianism. I'm trying to do my part in protecting the idea of the 1st Amendment and the free press. I want no part of normalizing this unAmerican behavior. It seems there are others here who disregard the role of the press in a democracy and are vocal about it right here in this thread. It isn't me or Phil or Pete. Question them.

    Inciting crowds at rally's to hassle/punch reporters or jailing/hurting their political components is page right out of 1932 Germany. The strategy to suppress voters, intimidate, lie to and threaten the press and the people is Dictator 101 stuff. Dig in and address the problem. Not the assumed motivations of those speaking about the problem. That has been the low-brow, low-intellect approach of Fox prime time. I'm not interested in that political bullshit which isn't grounded in any substance.

    killpropoganda
    Giac, you have to understand, this is a known tactic of the Right. It's deflection...They point the "you're partisan" finger and you spend so much time trying to disprove that, you lose focus of the real issue which is Trump (yet again) taking the wrong side in this issue. "Uh, well, he said he didn't do it...so, yea, we gotta believe him because money."

    Meanwhile, the people pointing the "you're partisan" finger are clearly partisan themselves. It's a pretty cheap trick. Don't get sucked in.

  10. #70
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,604
    Rep Power
    317
    It's almost like people are tribal and partisan or something and anyone that says otherwise is lying.

    Almost like 40,000 years of social evolution can't be overridden with virtuous catch phrases and Teen Vogue articles. Crazy.

  11. #71
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,535
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    It's almost like people are tribal and partisan or something and anyone that says otherwise is lying.
    Then why do you bestow "partisan" as an accusation rather than a fact of life.

    "Oh, you only care because it makes Trump look bad", well yea Trump is a dangerous dude who needs to be out of the White House ysterday, so anything that makes him look bad makes me happy. He's a buffoon.

    Kind of like the right only cares about "life" in the womb, not when it comes out and needs help. No healthcare, no public assistance...oops, sorry "entitlements".

    Almost like 40,000 years of social evolution can't be overridden with virtuous catch phrases and Teen Vogue articles. Crazy.
    #MAGA
    Last edited by Pete; 10-24-2018 at 12:52 PM.

  12. #72
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    86,901
    Rep Power
    470
    https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject...-st-1830566478

    I'd be horrified if I weren't so preoccupied being utterly unsurprised.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #73
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,535
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject...-st-1830566478

    I'd be horrified if I weren't so preoccupied being utterly unsurprised.
    He's essentially equating criticism of government with being an enemy of the state.

    It's dangerous and we're normalizing it.

  14. #74
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    571
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    It's almost like people are tribal and partisan or something and anyone that says otherwise is lying.

    Almost like 40,000 years of social evolution can't be overridden with virtuous catch phrases and Teen Vogue articles. Crazy.
    Wow. Never seen anyone take all the higher aspirations for humanity and dump them in the shitter quite like that.


    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  15. #75
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,604
    Rep Power
    317
    Yes, thank you, that's what I was going for.

  16. #76
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    571
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Yes, thank you, that's what I was going for.
    Well, you nailed it.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  17. #77
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,604
    Rep Power
    317
    "Journalist"

  18. #78
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    86,901
    Rep Power
    470
    How was he not?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #79
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,604
    Rep Power
    317
    He was a Qatari spook, he's always been a spook.

    https://thefederalist.com/2018/12/27...fluence-agent/

  20. #80
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,535
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    He was a Qatari spook, he's always been a spook.

    https://thefederalist.com/2018/12/27...fluence-agent/
    Will need to find a real report in this... Since... Federalist.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •