Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 89

Thread: Jamal Khashoggi

  1. #41
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    the best solution would be to take the money out of politics the way the first McCain campaign finance reform bill proposed. It was close, just like bi-partisan immigration reform, the way Bush proposed. Or the Citizen's United travesty in that 5-4 worst decision eva.

    The profit motive in politics and particularly campaigns fuels the inaction, corruption, and erodes our democratic republic. And all our reps spend more time dialing for dollars in a month, than they do in actual governing or policy making their entire term.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-22-2018 at 02:37 PM.

  2. #42
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,348
    Rep Power
    81
    why is there such outrage among us about a Saudi journalist being murdered on Saudi territory? Why do we care so much? we never cared as much when Putin was killing journalists left and right. Why is our country again divided and angry at each other over this? I know its mostly Trump's fault and he has something to gain from this murder, but seriously?

  3. #43
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,348
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    the best solution would be to take the money out of politics the way the first McCain campaign finance reform bill proposed. It was close, just like bi-partisan immigration reform, the way Bush proposed. Or the Citizen's United travesty in that 5-4 worst decision eva.

    The profit motive in politics and particularly campaigns fuels the inaction, corruption, and erodes our democratic republic. And all our reps spend more time dialing for dollars in a month, than they do in actual governing or policy making their entire term.
    everyone agrees with this and everyone knows that politicians wont do anything about it because its not in their best interest. I think that's why people voted for Trump, to "drain the swamp" because he's not a politician, he's not corrupt like others.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    why is there such outrage among us about a Saudi journalist being murdered on Saudi territory? Why do we care so much? we never cared as much when Putin was killing journalists left and right. Why is our country again divided and angry at each other over this? I know its mostly Trump's fault and he has something to gain from this murder, but seriously?
    He was an American journalist working for the Wash Post with US residency and murdered in Turkey. He was also a critic of the regime and it appears he was targeted for assassination, ordered by the Head of State because he was a writer reporting truth and tyrants hate that. Especially when the facts are ugly.

    BTW, Trump is more corrupt by a factor of 100, than the last 6 Presidents combined.

  5. #45
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,257
    Rep Power
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    What I don't understand is the lack of reporting on Trump's financial conflict of interest regarding the Saudi's. All the business dealings he and Jared have and are planning with them. Trump's blatant violations of the Emoluments Clause in our Constitution. We are learning why this is critical when managing the affairs of our country first. Republican congressmen that he is close to are running counter to Trump's messaging to the US and the world on the Khashoggi murder.

    I wonder why everyone isn't outraged. Putting yourself before the U.S.A. as President is beyond unacceptable, it is impeachable. The grotesque daily lies to the American people is a complete abomination and most Republican's of integrity have disavowed Trump and the current direction of the party.
    Soft bigotry of low expectations >> low expectations of a soft bigot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #46
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,682
    Rep Power
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    For those who missed it, Trump is buying the latest Saudi lie, I mean explanation. Nobody else is, but hey I trust Trump is looking out for the country and appreciate his intellect and research on these matters.
    The US govt has been kowtowing to the Saudis for years. This isn't a Trump thing.

  7. #47
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,257
    Rep Power
    474
    Again, degree. Not taking positions on human rights abuses is a problem, but openly accepting conspiracy theories and the word of despots as policy position, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, is significantly worse.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #48
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,348
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    He was an American journalist working for the Wash Post with US residency and murdered in Turkey. He was also a critic of the regime and it appears he was targeted for assassination, ordered by the Head of State because he was a writer reporting truth and tyrants hate that. Especially when the facts are ugly.

    BTW, Trump is more corrupt by a factor of 100, than the last 6 Presidents combined.
    explain how he was an American?

  9. #49
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,257
    Rep Power
    474
    He wasn't. He was a legal permanent resident. Explain why that should make a lick of difference?
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #50
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,348
    Rep Power
    81
    im not sure he was a legal permanent resident, I think he was just a resident. not sure he had a green card. POint is why him? why now? journalists had been assassinated with regularity around the world. what makes him special?

  11. #51
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,396
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    im not sure he was a legal permanent resident, I think he was just a resident. not sure he had a green card. POint is why him? why now? journalists had been assassinated with regularity around the world. what makes him special?
    Midterm elections
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  12. #52
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,348
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Midterm elections
    so politicians are grasping at straws and this guy's murder just happened to be one?

  13. #53
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,257
    Rep Power
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    im not sure he was a legal permanent resident, I think he was just a resident. not sure he had a green card. POint is why him? why now? journalists had been assassinated with regularity around the world. what makes him special?
    What makes him special is Trump's reaction to it. Specifically his kowtowing to the word of a despot (as he's wont to do, it seems), in which he followed up his "concerns" for Khashoggi's fate by praising Montana's Greg Gianforte for assaulting a journalist.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #54
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,348
    Rep Power
    81
    oh its Trump. so basically libs don't care about the poor guy getting decapitated. Libs only care how Trump reacts to it. yet another example of common sense disappearance

  15. #55
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,811
    Rep Power
    323
    Bingo

  16. #56
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,396
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    oh its Trump. so basically libs don't care about the poor guy getting decapitated. Libs only care how Trump reacts to it. yet another example of common sense disappearance
    Exactly
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  17. #57
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,257
    Rep Power
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    oh its Trump. so basically libs don't care about the poor guy getting decapitated. Libs only care how Trump reacts to it. yet another example of common sense disappearance
    Not at all. You asked what makes him special, which I took to mean "why is a bigger stink being made over this than over the deaths of other journalists around the world?" To that end, yes, Trump. But that doesn't bridge to "no one cares about dead journalists." The horror over what happened to him is only made worse when it's downplayed for financial/strategic gain by a President who lacks empathy entirely. Like salt in the wound.

    I think any state that routinely kills reporters and journalists ought to be hammered for it.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #58
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,682
    Rep Power
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Again, degree. Not taking positions on human rights abuses is a problem, but openly accepting conspiracy theories and the word of despots as policy position, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, is significantly worse.
    The only difference is that Trump makes it obvious and previous administrations and the opposing party have been anywhere from quiet to misleading about it. Not sure one is worse than the other.

  19. #59
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,257
    Rep Power
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The only difference is that Trump makes it obvious and previous administrations and the opposing party have been anywhere from quiet to misleading about it. Not sure one is worse than the other.
    I disagree. Both are poor positions to hold. One is worse (Trump) because it outwardly displays a lack of empathy bordering on psychopathy. I mean, this is a President who feigned concern only to champion Gianforte's assault of a journalist days later.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  20. #60
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,396
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I disagree. Both are poor positions to hold. One is worse (Trump) because it outwardly displays a lack of empathy bordering on psychopathy. I mean, this is a President who feigned concern only to champion Gianforte's assault of a journalist days later.
    soooo... what Simon said.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •