• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Coach Quinn Sends Bold Message by Benching Shattenkirk, Hayes

ThirtyONE

He has already benched Shattenkirk and center Kevin Hayes for long stretches in games and made forward Vladislav Namestnikov a healthy scratch for New York's 3-1 loss at the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.

In addition, Quinn doesn't hesitate to stop drills in practice if he doesn't like what he's seeing. He did it Wednesday, when the Rangers were working on the power play but passing the puck around the perimeter, passing up opportunities to find shooting lanes. Quinn got in the middle of zone and loudly said, "Shoot the [darn] thing. This isn't a beauty contest. Get pucks to the net."

"No one is really safe," said Hayes, who was benched for 11:25 straight in the second period and the final 6:49 of the third in Buffalo on Saturday. "Everyone has to play well to get their ice time here. It's a fresh face and he has his way of doing things. I think what he does is great. He doesn't let guys have days off."

"Really, it's more wanting to see me compete more, just be a little harder to play against," Shattenkirk said. "I know it's a very vague term, but when it comes down to it I could probably just be harder on my one-on-ones, lean into guys a little bit more, be a bit meaner. I know I'm not an overly physical guy, but I can definitely play with a mean streak. I need to get that back in my game because it does drive me."

Quinn, though, is respectful of the tightrope he's walking between holding his players accountable and having veterans turn on him for going too far. That's why he insists on having open lines of communication between coaches and players.

Hayes and Shattenkirk said they initially didn't know why they were being benched in the games last weekend. But following the games they each had separate meetings with Quinn, with assistant Lindy Ruff in on the meeting with Shattenkirk.

Their voices were heard. There were no blurry lines after those meetings, each said.

"When you do stuff like that there's got to be clarity and there's got to be explanations," Quinn said. "At the end of the day, accountability and performance are what this is all about. That's coaching, in my opinion, holding people accountable but also understanding people have built up a bank account too. You don't just bench guys for every mistake, but to me the piece to it that is non-negotiable is effort. If the mistakes are made because of the lack of all-out effort then I don't care what your bank account is, you'll be held accountable."

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-head-coach-dan-quinn-sits-kevin-shattenkirk-kevin-hayes/c-300823970?tid=277548856

David Quinn is the fucking man.

Why is something so obvious so lost on so much of professional sports these days. The first prerequisite for being “professional” should be giving effort or having the pride to do so.

Thank god for Quinn. I don’t know if he’s the best or right coach but at least he gets the basic requirement that as a fan I expect.

Wasn’t AV hated for the same shit?

And didn’t Quinn dress McLeod?

And Chytil on the 4th line?

“Meet the new boss,

Same as the old boss”

When did av Hold veterans accountable?

Never had a problem with any coach dressing a physical element. I’m not going to argue McLeod particular worth, it isn’t much. But any mentality of trying to be more physical is such a welcome sight as we’ve been pussifyed as an organization by the prior coach. I miss the days of torts. Bring back the black and Blueshirts.

As far as chytil I can’t imagine him playing long on the fourth line. He’ll be in Hartford if that’s the case. That said does he deserve better than that? Not that anyone has been great but neither has he. It’s ok to let him earn his spot in the nhl as opposed to just anointing him.

Wasn?t AV hated for the same shit?

And didn?t Quinn dress McLeod?

And Chytil on the 4th line?

?Meet the new boss,

Same as the old boss?

He was disliked for doing pretty much the exact opposite of what Quinn is doing.

This looks like an actual meritocracy, where good play is rewarded and poor play/lack of effort has consequences no matter who you are, your age or how much you?re being paid.

I?m not trying to say the new coach?s shit doesn?t stink, but this is one of the positives of his very brief stint.

When did av Hold veterans accountable?

Never had a problem with any coach dressing a physical element. I’m not going to argue McLeod particular worth, it isn’t much. But any mentality of trying to be more physical is such a welcome sight as we’ve been pussifyed as an organization by the prior coach. I miss the days of torts. Bring back the black and Blueshirts.

As far as chytil I can’t imagine him playing long on the fourth line. He’ll be in Hartford if that’s the case. That said does he deserve better than that? Not that anyone has been great but neither has he. It’s ok to let him earn his spot in the nhl as opposed to just anointing him.

Smith

Debatable as at first Smith made the team even though he showed up to camp as a fucking fat, unfit mess.

And when he was actually benched it's highly debatable whether he deserved benching over absolute garbage like Kampfer, Holden and possibly even Staal.

Not sure either of those moves are good examples of holding guys accountable.

Moving the goalposts a bit on Smith there.

DeAngelo made the team, played in the 3rd game and will play again tonight. Hajek probably should have made the team on his showing in camp alone, but let's not pretend coming straight out of juniors as a d-man isn't a factor. Just watched the last interview with Quinn and he touches on that. Basically said that some veteran players have savings in the bank, and he respects that. Also said that if there's a lack of effort whatever's in the bank makes no difference *cough* Hayes *cough*

Seems fair enough. Playing veterans v kids is always a balancing act and it's not always going to be 100% straight up meritocracy.

I don’t mind his moves, and didn’t mind them when aV did them. Just funny to see people praise one and blame the other for doing the same things. I love discipline, benchings, or just a night off. Guys need rest to be effective players more than the need to play 82 games.

Who makes the team versus who plays is a completely different conversation.

Cap, waivers, junior eligibility all come into play when cuts are made. But once the team is determined, Quinn is benching players at a rate AV would never do.

That said, the personnel changes were the least of AVs issues, IMO. His system simply didn't work, he didn't know how to adapt it, and his brand of hockey needed certain players that we didn't have to be successful. Also was quite apparent the team tuned him out.

Why is something so obvious so lost on so much of professional sports these days. The first prerequisite for being “professional” should be giving effort or having the pride to do so.

Thank god for Quinn. I don’t know if he’s the best or right coach but at least he gets the basic requirement that as a fan I expect.

Isn't it crazy that these millionaires are just figuring out, "I have to play hard to stay in the lineup...."

I don’t mind his moves, and didn’t mind them when aV did them. Just funny to see people praise one and blame the other for doing the same things. I love discipline, benchings, or just a night off. Guys need rest to be effective players more than the need to play 82 games.

Your posts in this thread are nothing more than trolling. You just got to your point which is to discuss your perceived hypocrisy from posters.

Quinn and av are not even close to the same thing. The guy has coached 3 games and you want to compare him to av as apples to apples. Many here are saying that they like what they see so far. The guy is treating all players young and old, rich and less rich the same. That never happened under av.

I expect that Staal will also get this treatment very soon. He can’t bench the entire team at once. Av had his targets, whether it was smith who be serious was waived out of the league, that how bad he was or miller. The point is Quinn is not using a couple of guys to send his message. This is a bad a hockey team there is plenty of examples to be made. Kreider, Namestnikov, Hayes, Shattenkirk have all taken turns in the negative while Howden and Vesey keep earning more ice time

Your posts in this thread are nothing more than trolling. You just got to your point which is to discuss your perceived hypocrisy from posters.

Quinn and av are not even close to the same thing. The guy has coached 3 games and you want to compare him to av as apples to apples. Many here are saying that they like what they see so far. The guy is treating all players young and old, rich and less rich the same. That never happened under av.

I expect that Staal will also get this treatment very soon. He can’t bench the entire team at once. Av had his targets, whether it was smith who be serious was waived out of the league, that how bad he was or miller. The point is Quinn is not using a couple of guys to send his message. This is a bad a hockey team there is plenty of examples to be made. Kreider, Namestnikov, Hayes, Shattenkirk have all taken turns in the negative while Howden and Vesey keep earning more ice time

Let's hope that Quinn's approach is effective.

Who makes the team versus who plays is a completely different conversation.

Cap, waivers, junior eligibility all come into play when cuts are made. But once the team is determined, Quinn is benching players at a rate AV would never do.

That said, the personnel changes were the least of AVs issues, IMO. His system simply didn't work, he didn't know how to adapt it, and his brand of hockey needed certain players that we didn't have to be successful. Also was quite apparent the team tuned him out.

I'm liking Quinn's approach....Pete's got this one nailed.

"No one is really safe," said Hayes, who was benched for 11:25 straight in the second period and the final 6:49 of the third in Buffalo on Saturday. "Everyone has to play well to get their ice time here. It's a fresh face and he has his way of doing things. I think what he does is great. He doesn't let guys have days off."

in other words: "he thinks I dogged it, so he benched me. I think its great"

I don't recall Smith being scratched. Just maybe benched and then waived after what people claimed was a disagreement between the two on Smith sticking up for teammates.

AV had a knack for benching and scratching young players. Seems like Quinn will bench anyone.

I don't agree with him putting Chytil on the 4th line. That's about it so far.

I just hope a guy like Shattenkirk doesn't try to be a bit more aggressive and take bad penalties like DeAngelo has.

AV also benched/scratched Asham, Pyatt, RICHARDS, St Louis, Kreider, Nash, Lundqvist, Dan Boyle, Klein, Desharnais, Adam Cracknell... probably others. But let's wait until All Star break for this discussion.

I don't think he did...When against the Kings?

AV also benched/scratched Asham, Pyatt, RICHARDS, St Louis, Kreider, Nash, Lundqvist, Dan Boyle, Klein, Desharnais, Adam Cracknell... probably others. But let's wait until All Star break for this discussion.

Seriously? Asham? Pyatt?

He benched Richards for something like one period, then he was right back on the 1st line a game later... Of course he benched Kreider. He was a rookie or 2nd year player. Dan Boyle? The guy who had a few things to say about the teams playing style when he was here? Hmm. I don't recall MSL getting benched. Wish he was. Nash? Being sat so you can be healthy for a trade isn't exactly a benching..

Cracknell in all his awesomeness did not deserve to be benched. That was fucking bullshit. No wonder AV was fired. You "bench" a guy like that and it's going to cost you your job..

He benched Desharnaisisis? Did he? Cause I remember wondering why he was even on the roster by November. Was mad he remained till the end. They could have gotten better looks at Lettieri, Schneider, Nieves, Fogarty, Fontaine, ANYONE that was waived and passed over. Fuckin Desharnaisisis?? Really?

Seriously? Asham? Pyatt?

He benched Richards for something like one period, then he was right back on the 1st line a game later... Of course he benched Kreider. He was a rookie or 2nd year player. Dan Boyle? The guy who had a few things to say about the teams playing style when he was here? Hmm. I don't recall MSL getting benched. Wish he was. Nash? Being sat so you can be healthy for a trade isn't exactly a benching..

Cracknell in all his awesomeness did not deserve to be benched. That was fucking bullshit. No wonder AV was fired. You "bench" a guy like that and it's going to cost you your job..

He benched Desharnaisisis? Did he? Cause I remember wondering why he was even on the roster by November. Was mad he remained till the end. They could have gotten better looks at Lettieri, Schneider, Nieves, Fogarty, Fontaine, ANYONE that was waived and passed over. Fuckin Desharnaisisis?? Really?

In a few years, it will be "you fucking list Shattenkirk? That doesn't count! The guy sucked balls"

Archived