Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shattenkirk – Healthy Scratch Thursday?

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Too.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    huh? why?

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Shitts is shit.
    Shitts is da shit

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    I certainly respect other's opinions here but I think we might be splitting hairs here. To me there is no difference between he's not sitting because he's doing something wrong, he's sitting because he's not doing something right. Same thing imo. In the end he's been under performing since he got here. It's too early to write him off but it's not looking to good so far, again going back to day one not just these three games.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    I think it’s quite a bit of difference in coaching philosophies between

a) benching someone for a mistake, like a careless pass in his own zone or failing to track his man and
    b) benching someone for not being able to do the job he’s on the ice to do over a stretch of 3 games

You might say 3 games is a short leash, but we’re carrying 8 d’s meaning rotation is part of the plan.
    I do agree that at the end of the day it’s about him under performing.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I think any playoff team that wants to improve their PP will take a chance on Shittenkirk. As we know, playoff teams that have a chance at the cup will give up assets for rentals
    Unless those teams have a d-man/pp QB get hurt, they sure won't. Washington tried it and it was a failure, teams will remember that.

But I mean, if you go through the top, say, 18 teams right now, how many of them need a PP QB? It's gotta be less than 5, I'm having a hard time thinking of 1. Then, how many of them can absorb a $6m cap hit the next two years? There is so much risk with a player like Shatty, and such minimal improvement on the ice, there's very little trade value there. This might be different if he was a UFA and less risky, but he's not.

Banned Midget Division
    its only been a week of hockey and im not sure what teams look like. but im sure all 30 other teams will not have their PP clicking at a decent rate

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    its only been a week of hockey and im not sure what teams look like. but im sure all 30 other teams will not have their PP clicking at a decent rate
    But that 30 teams number is irrelevant.

It's the number of teams who would be contenders or buyers at the deadline that matters. Of those teams, how many have a bad PP, how many have a bad PP because they have no PP QB, how many of them can take on a contract. The number of teams who meet all 4 of those criteria is...really small.

Let's arbitrarily say there are 18 contenders right now:

East - Carolina, Toronto, Boston, Washington, Pitt, Philly, Florida, Columbus, Tampa
    West - Winnipeg, Nashville, San Jose, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Calgary, Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota

How many of those teams don't have a point-producing defenseman on the PP? Calgary and Chicago?

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

It's the number of teams who would be contenders or buyers at the deadline that matters. Of those teams, how many have a bad PP, how many have a bad PP because they have no PP QB, how many of them can take on a contract. The number of teams who meet all 4 of those criteria is...really small.

East - Carolina, Toronto, Boston, Washington, Pitt, Philly, Florida, Columbus, Tampa
    West - Winnipeg, Nashville, San Jose, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Calgary, Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota

How many of those teams don't have a point-producing defenseman on the PP? Calgary and Chicago?
    Edmonton, devils, st louis, Colorado could be making playoffs. you just never know how it is going to play out come February/march. All you need is one team to make a deal.
    my point is that we played one week of hockey. im not writing anything off just yet.

Senior Member Midget Division

Future, you speak the truth. He has little value. GM's will remember how poor he was in Wash, plus they win the Cup after he leaves. Was hoping he'd light it up and some team would make a decent offer for him.Seems unlikely now.

We'd have to retain salary in most deals. I'd take a 2019 2nd rounder right now and consider it a steal. Or just a legitimate prospect. Our only hope is he's an offensive RHD that won't require your 1st rounder to get him.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division

Calgary has Giordano who has a point per game so far and Chicago has Jokiharju who has 5 points in three games.

Senior Member Junior Division

Add in Pitt, and you can say Florida too, because despite the stats, Yandle isn't scaring anyone.

Let's not forget the Rangers can eat a portion of the contract. Shattenkirk at about 4 mill might be tolerable for a team needing a boost in offense from the blue line. Maybe not...

I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. He's not THIS bad. He wasn't THIS bad the entire time last year... He's gotta rebound and get back to being what he always was. ....An ok point producer.

I think Quinn is going to be a fair coach, who will be rotating guys in and out. I don't think anyone is going to be benched or sat. Not until after Thanksgiving.

I guess you have to chalk up Shattenkirks bad start to rust. But it's not like he hasn't been skating all summer. He looks terrible out there. In game rust is expected. But he's got no legs. He looks dead and clueless out there. Not that anyone else looks very good, but he's looking the worst. I expected better from him to start. Hopefully he gets it together.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Future, you speak the truth. He has little value. GM's will remember how poor he was in Wash, plus they win the Cup after he leaves. Was hoping he'd light it up and some team would make a decent offer for him.Seems unlikely now.

We'd have to retain salary in most deals. I'd take a 2019 2nd rounder right now and consider it a steal. Or just a legitimate prospect. Our only hope is he's an offensive RHD that won't require your 1st rounder to get him.
    There are always injuries and teams want playoff depth.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Just very briefly looking Shattenkirk has averaged ~ 45 points per year over his NHL career, the Devils Butcher who makes next to nothing had 44 pts last season and his making pennies compared to Shattenkirk. I think it's safe to say the Devil's wouldn't even answer the phone at this point. In fact most of their fans are thrilled they dodged a bullet when he signed here.

We should probably start praying for injuries across the league.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Nobody is touching this contract. It's not going to happen.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Nobody is touching this contract. It's not going to happen.
    They would with retention.

Anyone know how many contracts we're retaining money on? I don't think any of them...

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    No, only Girardi buyout
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They would with retention.

Anyone know how many contracts we're retaining money on? I don't think any of them...
    Maybe, even so, that has represussions for the Rangers and the return would be minimal at best.

Next years deadline with a year less term is probably doable and if he shows better the return could improve to something actually useful.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Shattenkirk may still have some after effects from knee surgery. Think they will give him every chance within reason to show he can be an effective PP pointman and servicable D. Now he may very well be a lost cause, but doubt a coach who by all accounts likes him and has worked with him before is going to write him off 4 games in. The contract means he gets way, way more time.

Hayes, different story. Guy has mostly glided night in night out.

Shattenkirk was traded for the presidents trophy team first round pick and a c prospect two years ago when he was a looming ufa and easy to fit cap wise. He was Actually regarded as good then by his standards and there was barely a market for him then. Today he is less than worthless.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    He’s literally the same exact player.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Except he has 6.65 million reasons for two more years after this one that makes him far less valuable and problematic to fit on a team.

Also he’s the same player that basically everyone in Washington shit on after being so utterly disappointed with what they got.

I agree though he’s always been awful

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast