Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shattenkirk – Healthy Scratch Thursday?

Senior Member Midget Division

Shattenkirk – Healthy Scratch Thursday?

Good topic to discuss. On one hand it gets the kid we need to develop into the lineup. It also emphasizes accountability and the idea that the best players play. It also shows the team that coach will bench a vet, who is making serious $ for 3 years, including a guy he coached in college and has a good relationship with.

On the other hand, there goes most of his trade value, unless he bounces back big time. Also, it is early and the guy is trying to comeback, supposedly got his skating back. Did not hear any reports that it is effort based.

Is this a message to the team? A message to Shatty. Just the need to get ADA in there because he was the best Dman in preseason and the last game? Maybe, ADA is one of his priority projects (from previous statements made), and Pionk and McQuaid fit better and are playing decent.

Moderator Junior Division
    It's all of those things.

ADA is better than Shatty right now.

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Can they send Shattenkirk down for a conditioning stint? Seems to me he isn't up to game speed just yet.

If it is accountability, it is an interesting contrast with Gallant's philosophy of telling the players to not worry about mistakes, that you are not getting benched for making mistakes. It worked very well for them last year. Incidently, I've heard Brind-Amour is taking that same approach with the Cane's players. Bust ass, make plays and forget about mistakes.

I love that philosophy, but for some reason I don't have any problem with what Quinn is doing with this Ranger team. Maybe because some underacheived recently, while Vegas were all new hand picked guys and Carolina has more new guys and rookies.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    1 Pp goal through 3 games.

Too many slow, one dimensional defensemen, none of which can defend shit. One getting benched isn’t thread worthy on this team.

Hell, I’m not sure anyone of them are good enough to be called one dimensional, at this point.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    Can they send Shattenkirk down for a conditioning stint? Seems to me he isn't up to game speed just yet.
    Not a bad idea. I think the CBA still allows for it as a 'conditioning loan' (13.8). Needs to be short term, for conditioning and not used to hide players from waivers. Most importantly, the player needs to agree to it and gets full pay.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    1 Pp goal through 3 games.

Too many slow, one dimensional defensemen, none of which can defend shit. One getting benched isn’t thread worthy on this team.

Hell, I’m not sure anyone of them are good enough to be called one dimensional, at this point.
    I get what you are saying, but thought it might be worth a discussion more for what it says about the org goals, coach's methods, the quick hook, where vets stand, etc.

Plus, so far so good with ADA's 1 game and preseason. Pionk shows promise. And Skjei will be fine when he has teammates that can play against 1st liners better.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Shattenkirk on his likely benching: " I think all the D have earned a spot on the roster and Im probably the guy that needs to fight a little bit harder to get my spot back....This is probably a good little kick to get me going and get me out of this." #NYR

Brett Cyrgalis (@BrettCyrgalis
    Good decision. Shattenkirk is a veteran offensive d-man who currently isnt producing any offense to speak of whilst being an utter liability in his own zone. Makes no sense for a rebuilding team to play him over a young guy like AdA, whos looked good in pre season and put points on the board the other night.
    Good stuff from Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    I get what you are saying, but thought it might be worth a discussion more for what it says about the org goals, coach's methods, the quick hook, where vets stand, etc.

Plus, so far so good with ADA's 1 game and preseason. Pionk shows promise. And Skjei will be fine when he has teammates that can play against 1st liners better.
    they’re all bottom pair Dmen. We’ll be lucky to see 1 come out as a serviceable, long-term option. And that includes skjei.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    they’re all bottom pair Dmen. We’ll be lucky to see 1 come out as a serviceable, long-term option. And that includes skjei.
    Wow, you got pessimistic awfully quick. Only one of those three is going to be a decent third pairing guy? You forget Dmen take a while. Remember what Chara looked like for years? Or Seth Jones his first 2 years. ADA hasn't played 60 games yet. Nor Pionk. Every dman on this team is going to look bad defensively, especially at this point. I look forward to you being wrong. Just may take some time.

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    For my own health I must be optimistic lol.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    For my own health I must be optimistic lol.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I’m optimistic for every game.

I’m realistic between.

Senior Member Mite Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    I prefer sarcasm, humor and a fart that asks a question.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Really liking Quinn. Good for him

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Too rash. Give him more than three games to get his game back. Not good message to future UFAs or Limited No Trade players who might consider coming here. Something to consider after 10-12 games. Limited minutes he is getting is message enough for now.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Too rash. Give him more than three games to get his game back. Not good message to future UFAs or Limited No Trade players who might consider coming here. Something to consider after 10-12 games. Limited minutes he is getting is message enough for now.
    This is beyond overblown.

However, if being benched for not playing well deters a player from coming here, I don't want that player.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    my worries here is trade value

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    my worries here is trade value
    Why? It's been three games.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youre a good loser, youre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    Does he have any kinds of clauses?

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Does he have any kinds of clauses?
    All of them, including Santa

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast