Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Season Starts Tonight – Let's Speculate!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    95

    Season Starts Tonight – Let's Speculate!

    Should be a fun losing year. What you are expecting this year and what you're looking forward to? Mixed the Blueshirts with the entiire NHL, since we are not a Cup contenders.

    * No matter how bad you imagine the Rangers, no team will challenge the Habs and Sens for the worst record, by year's end.

    * Are there really any challengers to the Preds, Jets and Sharks to make the finals in the west? Conversely, one can picture almost any of the Eastern playoff teams representing.

    * Rangers will look much better than their record. I expect very very few blowouts, but piles of losses where the rangers were only down 1 goal before pulling the goalie. This year they'll learn how to play, next year how to win.

    * Florida is gonna be good and fun. Tampa may waltz through the reg season.

    * If Howden finds his footing and he will ascend from the 4th line. If not I wouldn't be surprised to see Howden and Lias swap spots within months.

    * Hajek will also ascend in Hartford. Once the D pictures clears up (and it may take most of the year), we'll see Hajek back for good.

    * McDavid may be the best, but Laine for best winger this year.

    * DeAngelo may sit early and folks may disparage or dismiss him, but by year's end he will be one of our core Dmen.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    95
    * Lastly, the youngsters will rule the league this year, biggest rookie impact ever. Looking forward to the rooks/prospects (technically Calder eligible) to watch below:

    Craziness in Carolina - 3 rook LWs made the team! Not just manchild Svech, but Zykov on the 1st line with Aho and Teravainen. Plus Brind'Amour fav and 3rd rounder, Foegele. Then there's Necas at C.

    Sens - Tkachuk reshapes culture and love of the game for the Sens. Sleeper, Formenton is the only other reason to smile in Ottawa.

    Vanc- Elias Pettersson, just wow! Rookie of the year? Hughes back to Mich.

    Bouchard made Edm, will gets lots of burn. Watch his vision in the Ozone.

    Robert Thomas and Kryou to start on same line for Blues. Very high on these two.

    Detroit - sticking to their philosophy of starting guys in the A with Zadina. Rasmussen makes it as a winger, to lessen his D responsibilities.

    Valamaki surprises and wins spot on Flames D.

    Jets - Vesalainen makes strong F group

    Heiskanen - not even for Karlsson. Will he be the multi-year all star everyone expects?

    Buff - Dahlen fits right in as a top Dman, while Mittelstadt may struggle with NHL speed in his 1st year.

    Donato - looked scary when brought up for playoffs in Boston.

    Ducks - drafting at the level of Bolts and Blues. Time for Sam Steel. Lundestrom gonna get a 9 game look.

    Rangers - we'll keep an eye on Hartford, but my early season focus will center around Chytil and Howden.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,872
    Rep Power
    32
    Who would have predicted the outright spanking WAS gave BOS? 7-0 is a shining moment.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    95
    How about that debut in Vancouver!! Parents fly in from Sweeden. First they send Pettersson out in warmups alone (typical rookie joke) and he shoots rockets into the net. lol. Then he opens the game with a sweet goal and then an assist on the next goal. That was fun, 5-2 win over flames.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    * No matter how bad you imagine the Rangers, no team will challenge the Habs and Sens for the worst record, by year's end.
    Agreed on the Sens, but I'm definitely not taking finishing ahead of the Habs for granted.

  6. #6
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,928
    Rep Power
    430
    This is a bit all over the place as a thread. Let's keep this centered more around the Rangers' talk if it's going to live in this section and move the league-wide discussions to the Scoreboard thread, or a new thread there.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #7
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,112
    Rep Power
    281
    Slate is clean for all.

    Always start season with high hopes and expectations for all players.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #8
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Agreed on the Sens, but I'm definitely not taking finishing ahead of the Habs for granted.
    Haha, the Habs can't score or defend. Not high on the coach. We have to be better than them, they may be the worst in the league.

    i hear ya Phil, the thread is about hockey and what might be fun to follow this year. Feel free to take the rookie post to the NHL section. The rookie impact is a topic to itself.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Haha, the Habs can't score or defend.
    Neither can we, old bean.
    The Habs actually looked a lot better than anticipated last night, with Price back to form. It's only one game so it obviously means nothing, but I wouldn't be too confident we're not one of the worst teams ourselves.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Neither can we, old bean.
    The Habs actually looked a lot better than anticipated last night, with Price back to form. It's only one game so it obviously means nothing, but I wouldn't be too confident we're not one of the worst teams ourselves.
    I hear ya, just feel we are further ahead in our rebuild than them. And we have more offensive firepower and more kids who can score. Seems like they are forcing Kot into the lineup, but we'll see.

  11. #11
    Banned Midget Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,264
    Rep Power
    52
    I fully expect Hughes

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    SE Massachusetts
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Who would have predicted the outright spanking WAS gave BOS? 7-0 is a shining moment.
    Looks like WSH made a statement last night since they're the defending Stanley Cup champions. BOS has no defense since we got McQuaid who is a big defensive enforcer. And Tuukka is as good as the team that surrounds him.
    #WhatRebuild

    Let's go Rangers! Let's go Giants! Make some noise this football and hockey season!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    369
    Rep Power
    11
    I don't think Boston relied very heavily on McQuaid. I thought he was often a healthy scratch?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    179
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by rangers02 View Post
    Looks like WSH made a statement last night since they're the defending Stanley Cup champions. BOS has no defense since we got McQuaid who is a big defensive enforcer. And Tuukka is as good as the team that surrounds him.
    I never heard a case made that he had become a defensive liability, but even he said that he fell off the depth chart.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,321
    Rep Power
    67
    I can't expect to see McQuaid play more than 50 games for us. I'd imagine he'll sit some nights just to play ADA some more and I'd also imagine that he'll be gone by the trade deadline.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    SE Massachusetts
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    5
    I wonder what we will trade him for?
    #WhatRebuild

    Let's go Rangers! Let's go Giants! Make some noise this football and hockey season!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    179
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by rangers02 View Post
    I wonder what we will trade him for?
    Who's going to over-estimate their chances going into the playoffs the way both NJ and Boston did last year? Would be great to tap into the prospect cache of St. Louis - or even FL or LA.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    * Lastly, the youngsters will rule the league this year, biggest rookie impact ever. Looking forward to the rooks/prospects (technically Calder eligible) to watch below:

    Craziness in Carolina - 3 rook LWs made the team! Not just manchild Svech, but Zykov on the 1st line with Aho and Teravainen. Plus Brind'Amour fav and 3rd rounder, Foegele. Then there's Necas at C.

    Sens - Tkachuk reshapes culture and love of the game for the Sens. Sleeper, Formenton is the only other reason to smile in Ottawa.

    Vanc- Elias Pettersson, just wow! Rookie of the year? Hughes back to Mich.

    Bouchard made Edm, will gets lots of burn. Watch his vision in the Ozone.

    Robert Thomas and Kryou to start on same line for Blues. Very high on these two.

    Detroit - sticking to their philosophy of starting guys in the A with Zadina. Rasmussen makes it as a winger, to lessen his D responsibilities.

    Valamaki surprises and wins spot on Flames D.

    Jets - Vesalainen makes strong F group

    Heiskanen - not even for Karlsson. Will he be the multi-year all star everyone expects?

    Buff - Dahlen fits right in as a top Dman, while Mittelstadt may struggle with NHL speed in his 1st year.

    Donato - looked scary when brought up for playoffs in Boston.

    Ducks - drafting at the level of Bolts and Blues. Time for Sam Steel. Lundestrom gonna get a 9 game look.

    Rangers - we'll keep an eye on Hartford, but my early season focus will center around Chytil and Howden.
    Update on the rookies:

    Pettersson is all that. Heiskanen showing why he was untradable. We got to see those 5 rookie forwards in Carolina first hand. Guess we know why Brind-Amour likes Foegele. Brett Hayton did not even make it close to 9 games in zona. The Ducks have even more kids in the lineup now and they looked good the last game. Mittelstadt still looks like he needs to get faster and more seasoning.

    Howden is still underrated here. He's like Stepan if Stepan was bigger, stronger, could skate and played energetically. That does not sound like a 3rd line C to me.

  19. #19
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,443
    Rep Power
    46
    Howden has looked fantastic so far. Not a flashy player but he’s done some good stuff so far. I don’t see why he can’t be a #2c if he keeps progressing. Definitely the surprise of the season for me so far.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    24
    Was a time I thought a trade of Lundqvist was an impossibility. But looking at TML. Nylander and the goalie they would dump for Lundqvist and some other cheap old guy would work for everyone. Works even better in NYR takes a chunk of #30's cap this year. Shanahan is burning bridges with a young guy whom he cannot plausibly re-sign and their window is RIGHT NOW.

    One concern about the rebuild; don't want to fall into the EDM trap of simply bringing in piles of young guys with no sense that there's improvement.Comes a point you have to start winning instead of promise. Obviously NYR are not there yet. But along those lines 2 guys that make me nuts in that regard are Hayes and Vesey; when do you start to being a player?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •