Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Wilson Ejected After Crushing Open Ice Hit on Oskar Sundqvist; Suspended 20 Games

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    CTE will come from Sundqvist's bad habit, not the Wilson hit.
    Ever the victim blamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Ever the victim blamer.

its the first thing you learn when you step on the ice
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The game is different now.

Senior Member Midget Division
    its the first thing you learn when you step on the ice
    You keep repeating this, but are you open to the possibility that it is not always (or even often) that keeping your head up is the first thing a little kid should be thinking about when picking up a stick and going out to the pond? It is also not typically a part of the reason any kid is inspired to try the sport.

I don't know about most kids, but in both places I grew up there weren't any coaches or parents providing coaching tips at the pond. Nor did anyone think much about ways to avoid one of your friends purposely delivering an head shot, let alone an unsuspecting one. We just were kids trying to play hockey, have fun and such. We get out there when we could, if we waited for our parents to supervise we'd have rarely got out.

First things learned?? Learning to skate, skating with the puck, skating backwards, shooting, etc. Passing the puck back and forth on a rush and shooting on a goalie was the shit. When we could get decent ice and enough kids to get a game together we cared about doing good things with the puck, scoring and winning. No one needed to learn to protect themselves from a guy you know on the other team skating around trying to end or disrupt the fun by annihilating one of the guys.

These days checking and learning to check are not even taught till well beyond the skating, stick-handling, passing, shooting, defending, goaltending, team play, positioning, sportsmanship and other aspects and skills. Beyond practicing and the mechanics of the game, many love hockey for the beauty, finesse, high skill level, speed and athleticism of the game. Many do not want to see the skilled play and players diminished by using irresponsible or unmitigated brut force, attempts to injure, cheapshot tactics and head shots.

Lastly, when the mantra "you must be in control of you stick at all times" took hold, sticking incidents decreased and penalties became more consistent. The same needs to be communicated about head shots. Not the keep your head up message.

Keeping your head up is more than just seeing a check. And you'll always see me complain when guys put themselves in vulnerable positions.
    It's very important to one's career and livelihood to do this. Things happen on the ice, its a fast game - mistakes, accidental contact, head shots, etc. Limit it as much as possible. But, I am 100% against the trend of staring at your stick. Eventually you are going to get caught, whether its Wilson or Mike Keane.

I'm sure there will some suspension. I think this is an over-reaction because it's Wilson. If Smith threw this hit, "we'd" be looking at this differently.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Keeping your head up is more than just seeing a check. And you'll always see me complain when guys put themselves in vulnerable positions.
    It's very important to one's career and livelihood to do this. Things happen on the ice, its a fast game - mistakes, accidental contact, head shots, etc. Limit it as much as possible. But, I am 100% against the trend of staring at your stick. Eventually you are going to get caught, whether its Wilson or Mike Keane.

I'm sure there will some suspension. I think this is an over-reaction because it's Wilson. If Smith threw this hit, "we'd" be looking at this differently.
    I agree
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Of course there's a Wilson factor at play. He's going to be suspended for the fourth time in less than a calendar year. It's a problem.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Stay the Course Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Of course there's a Wilson factor at play. He's going to be suspended for the fourth time in less than a calendar year. It's a problem.

It's definitely a problem when a player such as Wilson is STILL able to play the game. Stricter punishments need to be made now. SMDH
    Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Bantam Division

I don’t think “we” would because the NHL has been very, very clear on headshots.
    Wilson, who I really like, has to be smarter. You simply can’t steam in like that any longer. Especially if your name is Tom Wilson.

I 100% agree with the first bit.

Stay the Course Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Let's Go Rangers!

Banned Midget Division
    when US Hockey moved checking from Pee-wee's to Bantams, membership went up 15%. Just sayin'

20 games. OP updated.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Holy shit. That's probably a bit harsh, but they've thrown the book at him several times now and he hasn't learned.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Holy shit. That's probably a bit harsh, but they've thrown the book at him several times now and he hasn't learned.
    I don't think it's harsh at all. I think it's right on the money. He needs to fucking learn. This hits him where it matters most. The wallet.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Hoping the appeal doesn't end up getting this reduced. Make it stick.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I don't think it's harsh at all. I think it's right on the money. He needs to fucking learn. This hits him where it matters most. The wallet.

not really, his contract has a $5 million signing bonus, his base salary is $1.1 million, so he's basically losing 20% from the $1.1 base.
    I think he got 20 games for stupidity. No reason to make a hit like that in the last pre-season game, he has nothing to prove, and it was vs. a meaningless St. Louis Blues team where their is no rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    not really, his contract has a $5 million signing bonus, his base salary is $1.1 million, so he's basically losing 20% from the $1.1 base.
    I think he got 20 games for stupidity. No reason to make a hit like that in the last pre-season game, he has nothing to prove, and it was vs. a meaningless St. Louis Blues team where their is no rivalry.
    Nope. Its based off of average annual salary. $5,166,666

//reported Junior Division
    Whoa, the league got one right!
    LGR!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast