Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's OK to be Disappointed with Lias Andersson For Now

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I think it has to noted that the defense of this pick to begin with is that there was little risk and that the rangers were getting a player who at worst was already close to a 3rd line center. Reality is that was never true, so their scouting of him is already proved wrong. Now they are hoping he can develop into what they already thought they had, a third line center. Which when picked at 7 with the likes of middlestadt still there looks awful for them.

Regardless at least they drafted the second best forward in the draft this past draft. Yikes

I also believe that the rangers picked him because they thought he’d play last year and that last year they would still contend. Hard to have faith in a management group that could be so wrong when evaluating what they see every day.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    "Can" get, if his floor is younger Stepan that's good in my book, Step had the most points as a centerman in a long time for the Rangers, IIRC. Lower tier 1C, good 2C type of player.

The pick is what it is, take Buch, if he has that type of season I mentioned as a 3rd round pick, who cares when he was drafted?

The rationale is he'll get moore playing time in the AHL, I have my reservations about this being a wasted pick at this point.

Final point, consider the young QBs in the NFL (different animal, I know), right now. Bills, Jets, Browns, and Cardinals look like they are trending toward shit seasons with starting rookie QBs. The talent each has is there, and the coaches so far are letting the QBs play because in the NFL there isn't an equivalent to real games if you're redshirted. Lias will face real game situations, albeit at a lower level, as opposed to playing 7-10 mins a night and warming the bench.

I'll give management shit if he gets top 6 mins and fails, but the jury is out on this season anyway.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Stepan was a 2nd rounder.

Of course it matters where he was taken. Getting a first round talent in the third round doesn't absolve you from taking 3rd round talent at #7 overall.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I also believe that the rangers picked him because they thought he’d play last year and that last year they would still contend. Hard to have faith in a management group that could be so wrong when evaluating what they see every day.
    This, cancer and world hunger are all clearly AV's fault and has nothing to do with the GM and front office.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Pete’s just scared the kid is going to turn into something special. Ignore him.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Amazing how you've come full circle to rooting for "hustle".

the kid just doesn't have the skill set to turn into something special. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Maybe, but he does have the skill set to be an NHL player. I don't doubt he'll get there sooner rather than later. But I do think it's fair to question just how high his ceiling is.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Malhotra 2.0
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    That will be Lias' future if he keeps playing like this. Lias does have a bright future in front of him, but Gorton did say Lias will perform better when he's in the top-six role with Hartford instead of being a bottom-six forward in New York that will see five to eight minutes at best
    #WhatRebuild

Let's go Rangers! Let's go Giants! Make some noise this football and hockey season!

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    One thing is for certain: no one would trade a guaranteed 7th overall pick in the next draft for him now. He would be rated as worth a late (25+) first or early second round pick at the moment. He still may be a good NHL player, but I don't think anyone really thinks of him as a first line center, and you need to get a first line player with a pick that high.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Exactly what took guts? The kid did absolutely nothing to earn a spot here. Then you go on to say he was probably a whiff. If you have confidence in Gordon that's wonderful. I haven't seen it yet from him.
    It took guts to send down his 7th overall pick for the second year running because, of course, they knew what the reaction would be. They could easily have put him on the roster in a 4th line capacity and avoided all the grief and calling for peopleís heads etc. But they didnít, because Andersson needs to develop his offensive game and ability to drive play in order to become the player they want him to be. And probably because he needed a kick in the rear as well. Itís obviously not a good look and leaves them wide open to criticism, so I think that took a bit of guts and proves they want to do it right.
    As for the pick, I think itís probably a bit of a whiff in that we left some high end players on the board. That pick will always be judged with Mittelstadt and a couple of others as backdrop. That doesnít mean Andersson isnít a good player. I think heíll have a good career and contribute in the NHL. Itís just difficult to see him being real value at 7th overall. They probably got a bit lucky that Chytilís projection is massively improved since they picked him, so they might come out of that draft looking ok anyway.
    On Gorton, all I know is that he seems committed to doing this the right way. I donít know if heíll succeed, and like I said we wonít know until a few years down the line. Someone mentioned Kravtsov and I agree Gorton probably needs him to be 1st line calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    It took guts to send down his 7th overall pick for the second year running because, of course, they knew what the reaction would be. They could easily have put him on the roster in a 4th line capacity and avoided all the grief and calling for people’s heads etc. But they didn’t, because Andersson needs to develop his offensive game and ability to drive play in order to become the player they want him to be. And probably because he needed a kick in the rear as well. It’s obviously not a good look and leaves them wide open to criticism, so I think that took a bit of guts and proves they want to do it right.
    As for the pick, I think it’s probably a bit of a whiff in that we left some high end players on the board. That pick will always be judged with Mittelstadt and a couple of others as backdrop. That doesn’t mean Andersson isn’t a good player. I think he’ll have a good career and contribute in the NHL. It’s just difficult to see him being real value at 7th overall. They probably got a bit lucky that Chytil’s projection is massively improved since they picked him, so they might come out of that draft looking ok anyway.
    On Gorton, all I know is that he seems committed to doing this the right way. I don’t know if he’ll succeed, and like I said we won’t know until a few years down the line. Someone mentioned Kravtsov and I agree Gorton probably needs him to be 1st line calibre.
    As long as Gorton is here I hope he's successful, no doubt about that.

That obvious problem to lias game is his skating. I don’t know how much you can realistically expect that to improve for him to ever reach the level of his draft status. In my opinion the chances of him being a top 6 forward ever is almost zero because of that fact. The rangers can salvage this player by developing him to be what his tools say he is. A responsible great character player with an edge, who can get under the skin of the opponent. A bottom 6 forward that all good teams need. Unfortunately for lias his draft position will leave people disappointed

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    That obvious problem to lias game is his skating. I don’t know how much you can realistically expect that to improve for him to ever reach the level of his draft status. In my opinion the chances of him being a top 6 forward ever is almost zero because of that fact. The rangers can salvage this player by developing him to be what his tools say he is. A responsible great character player with an edge, who can get under the skin of the opponent. A bottom 6 forward that all good teams need. Unfortunately for lias his draft position will leave people disappointed
    His skating issues are overblown.

People tend to call positional players slow. It's not that they are slow, they are usually in good position, and limit unnecessary movement. There were a couple of backchecks I wish he could skate by everyone, sure. He's speed is average NHL footspeed. He plays a very sound game, both ends of the ice, and gets to where he needs to be to net goals. Chytil's defensive game worries me more than Lias' speed. But they are both young, let's continue to see these guys progress in all facets of the game and see where we are in a few seasons.

Expecting all picks to enter the NHL ASAP, and be top line players is unrealistic.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Midget Division
    The kid's 19 and already he's getting thrown in the dumpster. I'd rather him in the A than on the 4th line. Let him continue to develop. no one can honestly say what he's going to be at this point.

If the experts on this board question his skating I'm sure the Rangers and Lias as well are more than aware of that.

Kids' got fire and moxie. That's a hell of an intangible in my book.
    Acqua in bocca

There are expectations when you're picked that high, at this point he hasn't shown any signs of being worthy of a 7th pick to many of us. Devils Zacha carries the same weight on his shoulders. Most fans on that side would proclaim he's been a huge disappointment for a sixth pick. Is he a decent NHL talent? Some days, weeks whatever. Is he a good enough player to have been picked that high, nope and he's shown no signs of growing into that player either. Is Lias a bust, not yet by any means but I would say it's not out of the question either.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    12 different prospect rankings all had Lias going from 12th-17th overall.
    One had him going 11th, and few had him going in the 20ís.

The rangers reached a bit for him because he was supposed to be NHL ready, (which was already factored in by the ranking systems).

That the only issue i have, is that they swung and missed on the NHL ready. There were players available with higher ceilings.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think he’s NHL ready. Just not ready for the role they want to groom him for.
    He could easily have made the team and played as 4C.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I think he’s NHL ready. Just not ready for the role they want to groom him for.
    He could easily have made the team and played as 4C.
    Yea, but by that logic I'm NHL ready to be a stick taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yea, but by that logic I'm NHL ready to be a stick taper.
    I’m not sure that’s the same thing Peter.
    I just don’t feel the “NHL ready” aspect of it is necessarily a stick to beat them with. He could easily be in the team instead of Howden. I assume “NHL ready” means “capable of playing in the NHL right now”. Which he is.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast