Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This the Beginning of the End for Marc Staal?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He didn't. He was OK. Good, in that case, was relative to how awful everyone else was. Like you getting in a seven car pileup and having the least damage. He was still nowhere near worth his cap hit, and was overplayed.

On any decent team, just like his buddy G, he's a No. 6 who should be relied on sparingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    On what basis was Staal our best d-man out of interest?
    On the basis that McD was hurt and traded, Smith was sent down, Skjei was trash, Shattenkirk can't play defense and was hurt or trash, Holden...LOL...

How was he not? Who was better?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Again, "best" is relative to the group. Calling Staal the best out of last year's blue line is like saying that negative $100 is better than negative $200. Yeah, from a strictly mathematical sense, but you're still in the hole by a mile.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Again, "best" is relative to the group. Calling Staal the best out of last year's blue line is like saying that negative $100 is better than negative $200. Yeah, from a strictly mathematical sense, but you're still in the hole by a mile.
    Again, how is this year's defense better than last year's? At worst, he's the third D on the left side, IF Skjei and Smith bounce back...With 2 years left after this one and at 31 years old and the team not in cap trouble...Just not seeing how this is the "beginning of the end".

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Again, how is this year's defense better than last year's? At worst, he's the third D on the left side, IF Skjei and Smith bounce back...With 2 years left after this one and at 31 years old and the team not in cap trouble...Just not seeing how this is the "beginning of the end".
    It's not. I thought Adam did a pretty good job explaining how it could be the beginning of the end, though. He's positing a question, not making a declaration.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Staal was a serviceable defenseman last season, for any team. He was the only Rangers backliner that played like an NHLer on a consistent basis.

Sure, there was a 7 car pileup, but 6 of those cars are totaled and 1 has a small dent on the passenger door.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    It's not. I thought Adam did a pretty good job explaining how it could be the beginning of the end, though. He's positing a question, not making a declaration.
    Yeah but this article could have been written 2 years ago or in 2 years by that criteria haha.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I would have picked the hit from his brother or the puck to the eye.
    Were those mentioned?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Junior Division
    I like how this article uses a clip of Buch being a pansy on the puck to prove that Staal is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I like how this article uses a clip of Buch being a pansy on the puck to prove that Staal is bad.
    It sure as hell doesn't absolve Staal. He got beat to a loose puck in the corner — his wheelhouse.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    drafted at #12 overall? what a bust

It sure as hell doesn't absolve Staal. He got beat to a loose puck in the corner — his wheelhouse.
    He didn't get beaten to a loose puck. Buch made a lazy ass play and hung Staal out to dry. Staal maybe mishandled it a bit, but that's a pretty difficult play for a defenseman to make, and he did fine to keep Hall to the outside.

There are about 5 things Buch could have done differently to prevent that, what he did was about the worst play possible.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    He didn't get beaten to a loose puck. Buch made a lazy ass play and hung Staal out to dry. Staal maybe mishandled it a bit, but that's a pretty difficult play for a defenseman to make, and he did fine to keep Hall to the outside.

There are about 5 things Buch could have done differently to prevent that, what he did was about the worst play possible.
    Said the same thing and got roasted for it. Inexcusable and stupid play by buchnevich with zero upside. Staal has a million examples of his own shit play, that one though is 10000% on buchnevich

HNIC BSBH Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Said the same thing and got roasted for it. Inexcusable and stupid play by buchnevich with zero upside. Staal has a million examples of his own shit play, that one though is 10000% on buchnevich
    Agreed. The only thing I blame Staal for is not realizing Buch will make the stupid play with the puck part of the time.

I'm talking about physically. He was physically overpowered for that puck while in his wheelhouse. I also don't disagree that Buch was almost solely to blame on the play.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    https://www.nhl.com/rangers/roster

Looks like zucc and Staal have the A on them they haven't announced anything yet

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

I'm talking about physically. He was physically overpowered for that puck while in his wheelhouse. I also don't disagree that Buch was almost solely to blame on the play.
    He wasn't physically overpowered. Hall blindly swung his stick and got a piece of the puck.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    That goal was far from Staal's fault. It was all on Buchnevich, that puck is suppose to go up the boards. Not handcuff your defenseman.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

He wasn't physically overpowered. Hall blindly swung his stick and got a piece of the puck.
    Fine, physically overmatched. Use whatever term you want. You can even chalk it up to sheer luck (given the swing of the stick). The point is that a loose puck along the boards found it's way to Hall's stick, not his. I've already agreed numerous times that Buchnevich caused the entire sequence in the first place. That doesn't absolve Staal's loss of the puck, however.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Fine, physically overmatched. Use whatever term you want. You can even chalk it up to sheer luck (given the swing of the stick). The point is that a loose puck along the boards found it's way to Hall's stick, not his. I've already agreed numerous times that Buchnevich caused the entire sequence in the first place. That doesn't absolve Staal's loss of the puck, however.
    Fine. But that happens to every defenseman in the league. It's not something that's indicative of whether or not Staal is good/bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12