• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Long Before the Rangers Are Contending?

Phil

7-10 business days

LOL

I?m not so sure it will even be 2 years out. Look at how Vegas came together and had an amazing birthing run. Sure, they have ?experienced? players that gelled but I can also see a ?young? bunch gelling too. Adding a piece like Panarin or finding lightening in a young pup or two can work wonders. 3-5 seems too long although it?s been way beyond that since our last Cup.

It?s so hard to say because there are still so many balls in the air.

I think this season will be a wash. I can see them contending next season IF the right moves are made after this season but I guess that can be said about any team at any time lol.

I?ll say 2 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's probably best bet. I'll say three seasons from now. They'll blow this year, probably next, then be OK.

This is where I'm at too. Hoping for enough excitement from the young group but feel it'll be a bad season in the standings which won't be a terrible thing. One/two more 1st rounders added to the mix (plus Panarin or Stone or both) and they'll be a team no one will want to play in 2019-2020 and then the following year they'll understand what it takes to win and be a serious contender.

Beyond contending, or not, it's going to be interesting to see if Hank completely pisses his legacy away in next three years.

There are 6 good teams in the east, and a whole lot of mediocre ones. If any of the mediocre ones like the NYR get excellent goaltending they can steal one of the wildcard slots. And that's where Lundqvist's crappy end in 2017/18 and his weak preseason should be a big concern.

If by contender you mean one of the five best teams with a serious chance at the cup, statistically, it could be a long time. The Rangers were not one of those teams from 1979 until 1991 and then again from 1997 until 2011. It could be three years and could be 15. Half the teams in the NHL have not been in the top five for the past 10 years.

I think after next season we’ll know a lot more about whether we made the right moves and recruited well. If we did, that should coincide with being a playoff team again. Contention will depend on additional recruitment, and is pretty much impossible to call at this point.

How the goalie situation plays out will be a massive factor as well. If Shesty comes over and turns out to be a bonafide NHL starter we’ll be on our way.

Sam Rosen played the vegas Golden Knights card tonight. Expect to hear MSG say that a lot well into the season. Need to have CBJ gift us a 40 goal scorer.

I’ve heard the Vegas card come up on a number of occasions and it’s total bollocks on so many levels.

Vegas had elite goaltending, rock solid if unspectacular D, a roster hand picked to play a certain system and an electric 1st line.

That’s before you factor in the collective chip on their shoulders and the effect it had on the room, the way the city embraced the team and the shooting/Vegas strong business.

None of it is applicable to the Rangers, apart from the off chance that KZB has a Karlsson/Marchessault style breakout year.

I think after next season we?ll know a lot more about whether we made the right moves and recruited well. If we did, that should coincide with being a playoff team again. Contention will depend on additional recruitment, and is pretty much impossible to call at this point.

How the goalie situation plays out will be a massive factor as well. If Shesty comes over and turns out to be a bonafide NHL starter we?ll be on our way.

This is my feeling as well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

....we're not going to be Vegas

....we're not going to turn it around like the Yankees

....and we're certainly not doing anything harboring a 10 million dollar goalie who's seemingly past his prime

....just get ready to dig in and enjoy young players growing up in the NHL and learning the ropes from pretty much the ground up.

I figure 3 seasons before they're ready to make a serious playoff push. That's also after we get rid of the old guard (Hank, Staal, and the rest)

...again, just my honest opinion.

4-5 seasons with lots of growing pains. But hopefully we stay the course and the right moves are made.

I?ll be rooting for the Leafs in the meantime.

I?ll be rooting for even more crap to come out of Ottawa.

I?ll be rooting against the Habs, for sure.

I?ll be rooting for minimal suspensions for Marchand, so we can see how many points he can accrue in the wake of his haters.

I?ll be rooting for McDavid to score over 100 again.

Wait, what thread is this?

Archived