• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vinni Lettieri is Giving Rangers? Rookies a Run For Their Money

Phil

His jagged-edged work, in which he contested pucks and used his speed to drive to the net with regularity, was reminiscent of his play during last year?s camp, when he just fell short of making the squad as a long-shot undrafted free agent out of Minnesota. Paul Carey claimed the final spot up-front as the Rangers chose not to carry a spare forward while Fast opened on injured reserve.

Lettieri made it back on Dec. 28 for his first of four brief trial NHL runs and scored in his debut in Detroit the following night. But the shoot-first-ask-questions-later winger didn?t get another goal, finishing 1-4=5 in 19 games with diminishing impact. He arrived at this camp down on the perhaps inappropriately named depth chart on the wing, behind summer European free-agent signees Ville Meskanen and Michael Lindqvist.

But neither Meskanen nor Lindqvist has displayed NHL qualities through the early stages of their North American hockey careers. Lettieri, 5-foot-11, has ? and he has the straight-line approach new coach David Quinn covets.

?I have to be pretty fierce in the O-zone and D-zone,? said Lettieri, who went to the front and took an extra swat at the puck after it had been gloved by goaltender Eddie Lack to spark a tussle in front with 41 seconds remaining in regulation. ?I have to get in the dirty areas.

? might take a blocker to the face like I did from the goalie there ? that didn?t feel too good ? but that?s what it?s going to take to either get the guys going or get a rebound. That?s just what you have to do as a smaller guy.?

https://nypost.com/2018/09/26/vinni-lettieri-is-giving-rangers-rookies-a-run-for-their-money/

Not good enough offensively to get the minutes with talented players, not good enough defensively to be able to fill in a hole.

I like someof the things he does on the ice, but I feel like he's the type of guy you watch, waiting for him to break out... waiting... watching... waiting...

Not good enough offensively to get the minutes with talented players, not good enough defensively to be able to fill in a hole.

I like someof the things he does on the ice, but I feel like he's the type of guy you watch, waiting for him to break out... waiting... watching... waiting...

Yeah, I’d agree with that.

His game lends itself to a top six role, but he’s simply not good enough for that.

There is very little to suggest he’s got the game for a checking line job.

He’s the kind of guy you’re willing to do well though, and he might make the team. But that probably says more about the quality on offer than it does Lettieri.

He's obviously ahead of Meskanen. We have to assume Bellesky is out 4 weeks and may have to start at Hartford. Assume this concussion forces Nieves to Hartford, if he is OK. Who else is there besides McLoud? Who are the 12th and 13th forwards?

KZB

Names, Chytil, Zuc

Vesey, Hayes, Spooner

???, Lias, Fast

I wanted Belesky as our #13, but now we are likely stuck with McLoud or Holland

12th forward should be Letteri or Holland, at this point.

BTW, notice our top 11 guys above are potential good top 9 players, especially if Vesey can play up to his potential this year. Be nice to have one more legitimate winger to fill out the lineup with quality.

"middle 6" is more precise.

You want another winger? Want a potential 30-40 goal scorer, cannon of a shot, good playmaker, solid 2-way game, and has wheels...

Besides the 1st line, Lettieri was the most noticable player vs the Islanders IMO, last night. I distinctly remember him battling for the puck behind their net then skating back and battling behind Hank. He definitely puts in the effort, Zucc like in that regard.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived