• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Watching Preseason to Evaluate Talent: Who Stands Out?

Giacomin

Did any of you care about the line combinations last night? Or what the PK looked like? What systems we are trying or anything granular? No, no no!

Refreshingly, a rebuild/youth movement and a new coach (not married to a system or personnel), means unlike many recent preseasons, Job #1 is to closely evaluate the youngish talent. True, there are other priorities, but most interesting and critical to the organization and fans now is:

Who is demonstrating strong NHL level play (showing talent and execution) during these games. Who is earning a job and serious notice?!

For 2018/19, this is where the roster starts to form. For the future, we get our first clearer glimpse on the progress of the rebuild.

So let's get right to it. I watched the game twice. My summary... fuck yeah!!

To explain. I went into the game with low expectations, meaning I expected no one to truly impress. Sure a good play or two, but no young pup would standout all game. Especially with Chytil sitting out. However, not one, but two guys played downright exceptional. Two guys with legit questions, turned out to be the best players on the ice. All 3 periods, for both teams. I'm genuinely excited, not just about their upcoming season, but what it could represent for the long haul.

1. Lias Andersson - holy shit! His skating during his stint at the end of last season was worrisome. Well, by his 4th shift, before any goals, he had already silenced any questions that his skating would be an issue. He was quick and showed some long speed too. In addition, he demonstrated great instincts, anticipation, strong hockey acumen and skills. We should rethink, or at least have a new appreciation for this kid's upside. And he is a C who brings some quality intangibles.

2. Tony D - Biggest disappointment post trade deadline was his ankle injury, just as the kid was starting to show his potential. I was afraid the injury would slow the momentum he was finally gathering. However, after watching close last night, we might just possess an RHD ready to realize his top end skill. What an outstanding all around 3 periods D'Angelo played! His exit passes were sharp, quick, precise and a few led to golden opportunities. His D was solid, skating fleet and command of the PP was clear for everyone. [Except Josh, I guess. Check-out the 2nd PP goal where Tony digs it out of the corner and slips a sweet pass out front to Lias, who then moves it to an open Buch.]

I know it is early, but I do not see how anyone is going to outplay D'Angelo on the right side, 5x5. More importantly, this kid looks like he's about to become at least a top 4 NHL Dman. A righty, no less.

Let's hope there are other outstanding performances this exhibition, that we can discuss on this thread.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andersons short-handed goal was a thing of beauty. The soft flip shot looked like a elite vet shot. Just brilliant. ADA really stood out to me as well. He seems to have much more confidence with the puck and his transition up the ice was nearly perfect. Pionk looked really good but he and Staal were on the ice for all three NJ goals. Then again he did have the most ice time of all players. I thought O'Gara showed well and not because of his fight. He just seemed more ingauged in the game then most. Really good effort for this early in training camp. LGRs

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

On another thread, Slobber mentioned the Post article on Lias, which had some good quotes and stuff directly addressing Lias working with strength and conditioning coach Prentiss, in the offseason.

Here's an excerpt from Brook's article:

“I just didn’t play good enough in camp last year to make it,” Andersson told The Post. “I understood the decision. It was on me. When I went back, I worked on improving my game so I would be in a different situation this time.”

“I have my confidence this year to do more things with the puck and be the type of player my teammates can trust in all situations,” said Andersson, who will turn 20 on Oct. 13. “I know I’m going to have to work hard to make it, but I think I’m ready. I worked hard over the summer to prepare for this.”

Andersson returned from Sweden around the first of June to work on his training and conditioning with Ben Prentiss Hockey Performance in Stamford. He credited the breakaway goal to his offseason work.

“We worked on explosiveness,” Andersson said of the summer regimen. “I wouldn’t have been able to score that goal last year.”

Did any of you care about the line combinations last night? Or what the PK looked like? What systems we are trying or anything granular? No, no no!

Refreshingly, a rebuild/youth movement and a new coach (not married to a system or personnel), means unlike many recent preseasons, Job #1 is to closely evaluate the youngish talent. True, there are other priorities, but most interesting and critical to the organization and fans now is:

Who is demonstrating strong NHL level play (showing talent and execution) during these games. Who is earning a job and serious notice?!

For 2018/19, this is where the roster starts to form. For the future, we get our first clearer glimpse on the progress of the rebuild.

So let's get right to it. I watched the game twice. My summary... fuck yeah!!

To explain. I went into the game with low expectations, meaning I expected no one to truly impress. Sure a good play or two, but no young pup would standout all game. Especially with Chytil sitting out. However, not one, but two guys played downright exceptional. Two guys with legit questions, turned out to be the best players on the ice. All 3 periods, for both teams. I'm genuinely excited, not just about their upcoming season, but what it could represent for the long haul.

1. Lias Andersson - holy shit! His skating during his stint at the end of last season was worrisome. Well, by his 4th shift, before any goals, he had already silenced any questions that his skating would be an issue. He was quick and showed some long speed too. In addition, he demonstrated great instincts, anticipation, strong hockey acumen and skills. We should rethink, or at least have a new appreciation for this kid's upside. And he is a C who brings some quality intangibles.

2. Tony D - Biggest disappointment post trade deadline was his ankle injury, just as the kid was starting to show his potential. I was afraid the injury would slow the momentum he was finally gathering. However, after watching close last night, we might just possess an RHD ready to realize his top end skill. What an outstanding all around 3 periods D'Angelo played! His exit passes were sharp, quick, precise and a few led to golden opportunities. His D was solid, skating fleet and command of the PP was clear for everyone. [Except Josh, I guess. Check-out the 2nd PP goal where Tony digs it out of the corner and slips a sweet pass out front to Lias, who then moves it to an open Buch.]

I know it is early, but I do not see how anyone is going to outplay D'Angelo on the right side, 5x5. More importantly, this kid looks like he's about to become at least a top 4 NHL Dman. A righty, no less.

Let's hope there are other outstanding performances this exhibition, that we can discuss on this thread.

I know you do say it's early but I think the review and even more so the "at least a top 4" prediction for ADA is nothing but wishful thinking based on next to nothing. He's been an underwhelming NHL defensemen who had a good night in a meaningless preseason game.

I know you do say it's early but I think the review and even more so the "at least a top 4" prediction for ADA is nothing but wishful thinking based on next to nothing. He's been an underwhelming NHL defensemen who had a good night in a meaningless preseason game.

He was called up his first year as a pro in 16-17 for Arizona and played 39 games (5 goals 9 assists). He played a total of 32 games for the Rangers last year. This is a 22 y/o RHD with less than 1 year practical NHL game experience and a strong track record in the AHL and Juniors, as OHL Dman of the year.

Last year after working things through in Hartford, he finally demonstrated the skill and potential that made him a top prospect, for 3 weeks straight. Then he injured his ankle.

Yesterday was just one game, but it was his first back and he was the best Dman on the ice. His skill level is very high. He looked great in transition, passing, positioning and QBing the PP. He was always in control. In contrast, Pionk's talent-level seems pedestrian. He made Lindgren look slow and plodding. I'm looking forward to his next game.

You, Dude and Brooks can talk about him not making the club, but I think he is closer to being our #1 RHD 5x5. Let's watch and see.

he barely knows where the defensive zone is. If the team doesn't shit the bed entirely last season it's possible ADA doesn't even get called up. Not a fan of Pionk either so him being less impressive doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Yes we agree on time will tell so let's see. Just a difference of opinion nothing more.

he barely knows where the defensive zone is.

haha, that's a humorous way of characterizing his defensive weaknesses. To be more specific, it is not that he is unwilling or that he does not get back or skate well. Some think he puts too much pressure on himself to make the perfect defensive play, which is dangerous against fast NHL forwards with good hands. Another criticism is he tries too hard to counter-attack quickly and can make a sloppy play or turnover.

These issues are learnable and fixable at his age. And Quinn is the guy to coach him up. He has the skills, he needs the poise and proper decision making. What was encouraging was how much poise and good positioning he demonstrated yesterday.

Bottom line is the skills, speed and effort is there. If he adds poise and positioning to his game, he'll be a big part of the Ranger's future.

Andersons short-handed goal was a thing of beauty. The soft flip shot looked like a elite vet shot. Just brilliant. ADA really stood out to me as well. He seems to have much more confidence with the puck and his transition up the ice was nearly perfect. Pionk looked really good but he and Staal were on the ice for all three NJ goals. Then again he did have the most ice time of all players. I thought O'Gara showed well and not because of his fight. He just seemed more ingauged in the game then most.

Lias seems to have quick hands and he puts himself in good spots. If this can lead to a consistent goal scoring touch, he can be a real weapon in time. Now that we know his skating isn't a liability, it is time for him to start his NHL career, full time.

Pionk, like ADA, needs to work on defending skilled NHLers better. He also could use more strength, even if that isn't his game. I like him, he has talent, speed, smarts and is good on the attack. However, his skills seem less polished and his tools are less refined or tuned than DeAngelo. There fixed the spelling. They both need more NHL time and good coaching (coverage in the D zone) to get better. Pionk should get better because of smarts and with more experience. DeAngelo because of his skills, which will show as he becomes more poised and confident.

phillyb, Schneider is the guy outside the imports and trade acquisitions who was said to have an outside shot of making the roster. He earned his chance due to his good performance in Hartford last year. However, hard to be excited (and easy to be skeptical) since he is 28.

He was called up his first year as a pro in 16-17 for Arizona and played 39 games (5 goals 9 assists). He played a total of 32 games for the Rangers last year. This is a 22 y/o RHD with less than 1 year practical NHL game experience and a strong track record in the AHL and Juniors, as OHL Dman of the year.

Last year after working things through in Hartford, he finally demonstrated the skill and potential that made him a top prospect, for 3 weeks straight. Then he injured his ankle.

Yesterday was just one game, but it was his first back and he was the best Dman on the ice. His skill level is very high. He looked great in transition, passing, positioning and QBing the PP. He was always in control. In contrast, Pionk's talent-level seems pedestrian. He made Lindgren look slow and plodding. I'm looking forward to his next game.

You, Dude and Brooks can talk about him not making the club, but I think he is closer to being our #1 RHD 5x5. Let's watch and see.

??? Where did I say he won't make the team?

I like his aggressiveness. Very willing to shoot, as is Pionk.

He did take a pretty dumb charging or boarding penalty.

??? Where did I say he won't make the team?

I like his aggressiveness. Very willing to shoot, as is Pionk.

He did take a pretty dumb charging or boarding penalty.

Seemed you implied he is a fringe player on the McQuaid thread, post #24 and elsewhere on the thread. My mistake if you mean differently. The Brooks article and others talked about him no longer waiver exempt, as if he is trending in that direction. Last night showed his ankle is great and he is back on track and ascending. We'll see how he progresses over the next few months.

That was a nitpicky penalty. So was the hold on Nieves, who given his speed, still struggles to be effective and make an impact.

Seemed you implied he is a fringe player on the McQuaid thread, post #24 and elsewhere on the thread. My mistake if you mean differently. The Brooks article and others talked about him no longer waiver exempt, as if he is trending in that direction. Last night showed his ankle is great and he is back on track and ascending. We'll see how he progresses over the next few months.

That was a nitpicky penalty. So was the hold on Nieves, who given his speed, still struggles to be effective and make an impact.

Was just saying that it could come down to waiving or trading him if he doesn't have a good pre-season. That's entirely possible. I don't want to. I like players like him. One dimensional or not. The guy likes to have the puck and loves to shoot it. He even likes to take the body. I think he needs to stay away from the hitting and concentrate on everything else. I feel like he gets over zelous with the hitting. Might be mistaken, but it why do I feel like he takes a lot of penalties of the boarding, charging, hitting from behind or up high variety?

That was not picky penalty at all. Was called interference, but it was charging. Made a B line straight for the guy and kinda got him from behind.

Liked Fogarty. His game is perfect for 4th line center and I think he will eventually take that role. Hated Gettinger. Big and slow and doofy and useless.

Was more concerned with Gettinger being kinda wimpy and perimeter. Didn't think he skated poorly. But definitely bummed that he was pretty invisible in his first action.

Reading about who may stand out is much different than making Dan Boyle comparison. Next I’ll hear about an overager becoming an impact player hands down.

Read it again. It's says the way he is playing reminds me of Dan Boyle. That means the way he has played in these two preseason games remind of the style of play that Boyle played with. Doesn't mean he is or is going to be Dan Boyle. Just the style of play and his approach with the puck.

Archived