• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zibanejad Leaves Practice After Hit to the Head

Phil

Hate to say this but maybe it’s best to trade a player with such history before it’s one hit to many. He’s a player of high value and to have to hold your breath every time he gets hit seems like waiting for the inevitable. I hope he has a long healthy productive career but the heartless part of me wants to protect the asset and flip him for assets that aren’t damaged.

There has got to be real concern over his concussion history. Trading him is hardly the answer, because the rest of the league is fully aware of it and will value him accordingly. I tend to think that he may be destined never to play 75 games in a season for the Rangers.

I can't get out of my mind the look on Pat LaFontaine's face after he took the final hit of his career (an accidental collision with a teamate).

There has got to be real concern over his concussion history. Trading him is hardly the answer, because the rest of the league is fully aware of it and will value him accordingly. I tend to think that he may be destined never to play 75 games in a season for the Rangers.

I can't get out of my mind the look on Pat LaFontaine's face after he took the final hit of his career (an accidental collision with a teamate).

What you get for him today or before today’s practice is probably pretty good. Obviously you’d be trading for potential but in the infancy of this rebuild right now would be a good time to move him. The season is probably a lost cause anyway and two years from now when they are hopefully taking meaningful steps towards competitive hockey you can’t afford for him to go down then.

Whatever you get today is better than having to worry about a player who seems to be brittle as an egg. It sucks because he’s super talented and a human being.

He was in concussion evaluation day 1 of training camp. He’s had 5 or 6 concussion and he’s 24? He’s the rangers top center and a vital piece going forward. Discussing his health and his injury history because he had a concussion scare day 1 of camp is not worth talking about? What does it matter how it was reported when it is indeed true? Not sure what the overreaction is

Getting the wind knocked out of you is scary but it usually does no damage. So if he did just get the wind knocked out then there should be zero concern. Quinn brushed it off and said he was fine so I have no reason to think he wasn't truthful. It's more than likely a journalist creating hype.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And an NHL team would never conceal head trauma as having wind knocked out of a player for public consumption. Nah. As Faftrancesa says, 5-6 concussions (by Zib's own acknowledgement) at age 24. He doesn't need to have had the "wind knocked out of him" for me to be concerned. I'm concerned whenever he steps on the ice.

What’s overreacting? Discussing a player that has a long history of head injuries by the age of 24 that had to go through a concussion test first day of camp, or better yet the first time he takes a hit? Somebody started a thread solely about this story. Basically the entire roster can be considered tradeable as the rangers try and rebuild. It’s not an overreaction to ask the simple question: does it make sense to include a player of zibs injury history into the long term plans of this team and as a key component of your new core?

Pretty valid question, no?

Archived