Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: NSH F Austin Watson Suspended 27 Games for Unacceptable Off-Ice Conduct

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,738
    Rep Power
    425

    NSH F Austin Watson Suspended 27 Games for Unacceptable Off-Ice Conduct

    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,034
    Rep Power
    82
    For those that are wondering: Domestic Abuse
    LGR!

  3. #3
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,034
    Rep Power
    82
    LGR!

  4. #4
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,738
    Rep Power
    425
    I'd love to see the league start hammering these guys for domestic violence incidents like this the way MLB does steroids. Like, first instance is half a season. Second is a full year. Third is lifetime ban.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #5
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,281
    Rep Power
    63
    27 games is a long time...and I'm assuming he's not getting paid for it, right? I don't know if it's enough or not but I still think that's an attention getting ruling and hopefully deters this type of behavior.

  6. #6
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,738
    Rep Power
    425
    Well, the PA is going to contest it and get games knocked down. So it's probably 20. For DV, that's really not enough.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    jjweimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    1,301
    Rep Power
    24
    20 is still 1/4th of the season. I dont condone it but for first off ice issue I'd be okay. If he had dwi, or some Patrick Kane crap already id want it heavier. Right now this seems ok, 27 maybe down to 20

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  8. #8
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,738
    Rep Power
    425

    NSH F Austin Watson Suspended 27 Games for Unacceptable Off-Ice Conduct

    That's the same as Schmidt just got for PEDs. The optics of suspending a player who plead no contest to domestic violence the same amount of time as a player who violated a drug test by like a billionth of a percentage is captial B, Bad.

    Again, if I were the league, I'd take a much harder stance on domestic violence incidents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #9
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,281
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's the same as Schmidt just got for PEDs. The optics of suspending a player who plead no contest to domestic violence the same amount of time as a player who violated a drug test by like a billionth of a percentage is captial B, Bad.

    Again, if I were the league, I'd take a much harder stance on domestic violence incidents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Schmidt got 20 games...Watson got 27. You're assuming that Watson's will be reduced without the assumption that Schmidt's will be reduced. Watson makes $1,100,000 this season...he'll be losing over $350,000 because of this. It's a fair penalty in my mind.

  10. #10
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,510
    Rep Power
    110
    While I agree that the league should be taking a much harder stance on DV, let's not pretend for one second that there's any sort of deterrent factor to be gained from it. Guys who are predisposed to abusing their wife and/or children are not going to think as they raise their fist, "huh...I could get suspended half a season if anyone finds out about this, maybe I should lower my fist..."

    In other words, my stance is: once a scumbag, always a scumbag. I also don't believe in rehabilitation efforts as a sidestep for true punishment, in both DV and sexual assault situations. Let's not pretend that this is an illness or a disease like alcoholism. Throw the book at them and get it over with. And by the way, by and large my social views are extremely left-leaning, but DV and sexual assault are two areas where I draw the line as far as softening the penalty. Totally unrelated though, and if anyone wants to debate this, we can take it to another thread.
    Hidden Content

    “'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.” Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

  11. #11
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,738
    Rep Power
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    While I agree that the league should be taking a much harder stance on DV, let's not pretend for one second that there's any sort of deterrent factor to be gained from it. Guys who are predisposed to abusing their wife and/or children are not going to think as they raise their fist, "huh...I could get suspended half a season if anyone finds out about this, maybe I should lower my fist..."

    In other words, my stance is: once a scumbag, always a scumbag. I also don't believe in rehabilitation efforts as a sidestep for true punishment, in both DV and sexual assault situations. Let's not pretend that this is an illness or a disease like alcoholism. Throw the book at them and get it over with. And by the way, by and large my social views are extremely left-leaning, but DV and sexual assault are two areas where I draw the line as far as softening the penalty. Totally unrelated though, and if anyone wants to debate this, we can take it to another thread.
    That's not the reason I want harsh punishment for DV. Deterrents don't work, period. Not the death penalty, life in prison, etc. It's about optics and the ability to be taken seriously as a league. If you take an uncompromising position on behavior you will not tolerate (provided that behavior is actually reprehensible), you're winning the PR battle by default, instead of always being on the defensive in trying to justify why a suspension for something horrific is so similar to something that barely registered on your drug test.

    We see this on headshots, too. So and so gets four games for shaving days/months/years off the quality of life of his peer, while silly technicalities might land another guy (again, let's use Schmidt as the example) on the shelf for a quarter of the season over speciousness.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #12
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,510
    Rep Power
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's not the reason I want harsh punishment for DV. Deterrents don't work, period. Not the death penalty, life in prison, etc. It's about optics and the ability to be taken seriously as a league. If you take an uncompromising position on behavior you will not tolerate (provided that behavior is actually reprehensible), you're winning the PR battle by default, instead of always being on the defensive in trying to justify why a suspension for something horrific is so similar to something that barely registered on your drug test.

    We see this on headshots, too. So and so gets four games for shaving days/months/years off the quality of life of his peer, while silly technicalities might land another guy (again, let's use Schmidt as the example) on the shelf for a quarter of the season over speciousness.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Oh this I definitely agree with. It's hard to even call it a double standard, because it's far worse than that. Utter nonsense can earn you a suspension, but headhunting and taking years off someone's life (and possibly giving them dementia in their 40's) seems to come with a slap on the wrist.
    Hidden Content

    “'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.” Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

  13. #13
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,738
    Rep Power
    425
    It's across the board, too. Everything feels too evenly weighted because the league appears to fear harsher penalties.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •